Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - Area of improvement - Top 20 BS EU [#permalink]
nicolosurdo wrote:
Is there anybody in this forum??????? Who is the person supposed to evaluate candidate profiles??????

1) One question mark is usually enough.
2) AFAIK, nobody here is making any kind of money just by browsing and giving advice so you might want to remain friendly if you don't get an answer within 24 hours.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I didn't know.......sorry.......it was not my intention to be unfriendly and I don't think I have been rude....I just wanted to ask for help..........
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
No problem. I can't give all that much advice because my field is Accounting, not Marketing, but I have some general answers that should be useful --

nicolosurdo wrote:
1) The school I wish to apply are: Hec Paris, Cass Business School, Bocconi, Ie business school. As I suppose my profile is not so strong, I'm avoiding thinking about LBS and Insead.
In addition, Although I'm aiming at an EU business schools, I greet advices and recommendation about US business schools to which my profile could be suitable, pointing out that I do not come from a rich family and, therefore, I might apply only to schools that provides grand-salary helping you to finance your studies. In relation to this last point, I have one doubt: in US will you be noticed whether or not you have been awarded of a grand-salary before getting enrolled in a programme or only after, as a result of your merit and accademic progresses? This makes a big difference for me.

GMAT - SoP - Research Proposal

I'm aware my GMAT score is quite low, but I was so unlike with the verbal section as I was scoring better during my simulations (34-38). Hence, I want to improve the verbal and the tot. score of at least 50 points (670-700).
If I were able to get this score what would you think about my profile?
What are the areas in which I could improve?
I read in other post that one way could be to do an outstanding SOP - Could you recommend me some books about it? Furthermore, is the SoP only related to your motivation or you should include your research interests?

1) All the top (40+) schools in the US will provide you with what they call a stipend, and will waive tuition. The stipend will vary between $15,000 - $25,000 a year. Some schools will also require you to do TA work or grading, and many places will also ask you to teach 1-3 courses over the length of your PhD -- they'll usually pay extra for this stuff, a full undergrad course will likely give you at least $5,000 more. I don't know whether the general preconception about American universities (you're rich, you get in) is true at the undergrad or MBA level. It's not true at the PhD level -- nobody cares whether you're rich or not, what matters is are you smart enough.

Lower-tier schools, especially public universities, have smaller endowments and can't always afford to give a stipend to everyone, so if you can be sponsored by an outside source (e.g. a local university that sends you to the US to study), it may give you an inside track, but not always.

2) I think your profile looks good other than your GMAT score. As for the SOP, motivation and research interests are kinda related -- you can demonstrate your motivation by showing you've given some thought to some research subjects you'd be interested in, but you don't want to just show off what you know. You want to come up with a clear explanation of what you think your strengths are, and how you're going to deal with your weaknesses.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you very much for your answer. Honestly, not only I did not expect that U.S. Top Business Schools usually offer a stipend for their P.h.D students (it is a really good news) but also I did not believe that my profile could have been suitable for a PhD in a good U.S. university, certainly without considering my GMAT score. Actually, I'm struggling with the verbal section and I'm spending an enourmous amount of time on it, hoping to find a way out from it:).
I also want to thank you for the advice about the SOP. It means that I would just need to point out the area of research in which I'm interested and a few implications of it on my future perspectives, but without entering deeply in the accademic literature or research proposals.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4385 posts