Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - GRE (161/158/5.5) + Re-applicant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
MBAGuy1397 wrote:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your swift reply. I'd be happy to provide more clarity on the items you've mentioned.

My first job out of college was as an analyst at a boutique management consulting firm that specialized in the pharmaceutical industry. But toward the end, I realized that I was more interested in finance and equities research, but also felt a desire to work in a capacity that made a social impact. So, I joined the subsidiary of a bulge-bracket investment bank that produced equity research, but with a focus on environment, social, and governance (ESG) issues. It was very non-traditional position, where we focused more on the macro-economic picture rather than the fundamental financial metrics of a company. After two years of this, I decided that I wanted to move to the buy-side, but there is a shortage of good investment management firms in India.

I ended up coming across an investment management internship offered by the third largest hedge fund in Asia, with $5.5 billion under management. They received over a thousand applications, mostly from candidates with MBAs from top programs, but after five months of interviewing I was offered the position. During this internship, I was exposed to the fund's clients, which were mostly endowments and foundations. I came to appreciate the endowment model of investing and decided that I wanted to work in these types of organizations after the internship. But, there aren't many endowments and foundations in India, so I decided to carve my own path by setting up an investment advisory that consulted for family offices and trusts, the closest I could get to endowments and foundations. This is my work history in brief.

You also asked what my goals are. I have actually mentioned them in my post in point 6. I don't want to re-post the entire part here to clutter your inbox, but I think I have written them fairly comprehensively. And, in terms of the GRE, I do agree it's low, but I was under the impression that it is not that much lower. My verbal percentile is 87, quant is 71 and AWA is 98. I agree the math is on the lower end, but do you feel that it is that detrimental to my chances? As indicated, I double-majored in economics and physics, so I am solid on the math. I have also won departmental awards in mathematics. The issues just comes down to timed math examinations. If I write about this in my optional essay, do you think it would reflect well? I'd also like to refer you to the following website which shows average GRE scores at top programs, and mine appears to be at the average or above, particularly the verbal and writing scores. https://poetsandquants.com/2014/04/29/gr ... he-gmat/2/.

Lastly, I would like to add that I flew from India to do the applicant initiated interview at Tuck and it went very, very well. So you may take that into consideration as well in your assessment.

Thanks once again and looking forward to your feedback!

Hey there,
Thanks for writing me back. and I'm not sure exactly what else I can add. I mean I think your work experience and background really are quite good. but you're applying to Top 10 schools with a GRE equivalent of almost 100 points less than the average and a so-so GPA from a non-feeder school. I mean, it IS possible if you wow them with your essays and story, and I do hope you get admits in every one of these schools, but as far as I can see, it can be a bit tough at a school like Tuck. I think your chances at Rotman and Goizueta will be much stronger.

Anyhow, let me know how things turn out and if you have any other questions,
Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
MBAGuy1397 wrote:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your swift reply. I'd be happy to provide more clarity on the items you've mentioned.

My first job out of college was as an analyst at a boutique management consulting firm that specialized in the pharmaceutical industry. But toward the end, I realized that I was more interested in finance and equities research, but also felt a desire to work in a capacity that made a social impact. So, I joined the subsidiary of a bulge-bracket investment bank that produced equity research, but with a focus on environment, social, and governance (ESG) issues. It was very non-traditional position, where we focused more on the macro-economic picture rather than the fundamental financial metrics of a company. After two years of this, I decided that I wanted to move to the buy-side, but there is a shortage of good investment management firms in India.

I ended up coming across an investment management internship offered by the third largest hedge fund in Asia, with $5.5 billion under management. They received over a thousand applications, mostly from candidates with MBAs from top programs, but after five months of interviewing I was offered the position. During this internship, I was exposed to the fund's clients, which were mostly endowments and foundations. I came to appreciate the endowment model of investing and decided that I wanted to work in these types of organizations after the internship. But, there aren't many endowments and foundations in India, so I decided to carve my own path by setting up an investment advisory that consulted for family offices and trusts, the closest I could get to endowments and foundations. This is my work history in brief.

You also asked what my goals are. I have actually mentioned them in my post in point 6. I don't want to re-post the entire part here to clutter your inbox, but I think I have written them fairly comprehensively. And, in terms of the GRE, I do agree it's low, but I was under the impression that it is not that much lower. My verbal percentile is 87, quant is 71 and AWA is 98. I agree the math is on the lower end, but do you feel that it is that detrimental to my chances? As indicated, I double-majored in economics and physics, so I am solid on the math. I have also won departmental awards in mathematics. The issues just comes down to timed math examinations. If I write about this in my optional essay, do you think it would reflect well? I'd also like to refer you to the following website which shows average GRE scores at top programs, and mine appears to be at the average or above, particularly the verbal and writing scores. https://poetsandquants.com/2014/04/29/gr ... he-gmat/2/.

Lastly, I would like to add that I flew from India to do the applicant initiated interview at Tuck and it went very, very well. So you may take that into consideration as well in your assessment.

Thanks once again and looking forward to your feedback!

Hey there,
Thanks for writing me back. and I'm not sure exactly what else I can add. I mean I think your work experience and background really are quite good. but you're applying to Top 10 schools with a GRE equivalent of almost 100 points less than the average and a so-so GPA from a non-feeder school. I mean, it IS possible if you wow them with your essays and story, and I do hope you get admits in every one of these schools, but as far as I can see, it can be a bit tough at a school like Tuck. I think your chances at Rotman and Goizueta will be much stronger.

Anyhow, let me know how things turn out and if you have any other questions,
Best,
JF

Hi JF,

I retook the GRE today and bumped up my score to 164Q (88%) and 162V (89%). How do you think these particular schools will perceive my application now? Would it make a big difference or not so much? With respect to your comment on my undergraduate not being a feeder school, I was under the impression that top 20 liberal arts were highly regarded. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there,
Well fantastic! It may not seem like that many points, but in fact this new score is a game changer for you (and for the better). You equivalent GMAT just went up from 630 to 700!
That's a mighty huge difference. And as I wrote before, your work experience is pretty darn good. With this new score, you are looking at whole new range of schools, and I think you can comfortable aim for Top 10-20 schools with good chances.

Well done, dude!
:)

Best,
Jon
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there,
Well fantastic! It may not seem like that many points, but in fact this new score is a game changer for you (and for the better). You equivalent GMAT just went up from 630 to 700!
That's a mighty huge difference. And as I wrote before, your work experience is pretty darn good. With this new score, you are looking at whole new range of schools, and I think you can comfortable aim for Top 10-20 schools with good chances.

Well done, dude!

Best,
Jon

Jon,

Thank you for your input and advice--it has been very helpful! Glad to hear that my efforts may pay off. I had no idea it was that large of a jump in the equivalent GMAT score. I know that in the grad world, 325+ GRE is what top programs usually look for, just wasn't sure how MBA programs view the score. Do you have any insight into that--do they convert the scores to the GMAT or take the GRE at face value?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAGuy1397 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there,

Well done, dude!

Best,
Jon

Jon,

Thank you for your input and advice--it has been very helpful! Glad to hear that my efforts may pay off. I had no idea it was that large of a jump in the equivalent GMAT score. I know that in the grad world, 325+ GRE is what top programs usually look for, just wasn't sure how MBA programs view the score. Do you have any insight into that--do they convert the scores to the GMAT or take the GRE at face value?

It's a veeery good question you ask, and I don't have a direct and exact answer for you. There are conflicting statistics out there. One is as you pointed out the average GMAT and GRE schools of admits (but this is also not a great stat, because the pool of GRE takers for an MBA is tiny, whereas GMAT is huge). The ETS conversion tool is probably your best place to start to get an idea of how you have done.

Hope to hear good things about your applications :)

Best,
JF
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts