Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Greatly Appreciated!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 3

Profile Evaluation - Greatly Appreciated!!! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 01:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Team

Please evaluate my Profile.

GMAT: 640 (Q50 V26) I’m reappearing in a month and hope to get 700+
Undergrad: IIT (BHU), Varanasi
GPA: 6.1/10
Nationality: Indian
Target schools: top 20 US B-Schools
Academics:
I got 78.6% in 10th, 82% in 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. Later that year, cracked IIT-JEE (toughest exam in country for admission in engineering schools), got accepted in Mechanical Engineering at IIT (BHU), Varanasi. During college, I worked as an intern at MAHLE filter India Ltd for 2 months during which I worked on increasing the efficiency of oil filters. After Undergrad, I got on-campus placement in an IT start-up. Then on I have been working in the same organisation for the last 2 yrs. I’ve executed many projects in the Insurance sector in big Indian Insurance companies working directly with the clients.
Also, I’ve worked as a volunteer for a NGO on weekends for the past 5 months.
Sports:
I’ve played chess at District and state levels. I was part of 4 member college team and we won silver medal in national college fest. And also, I got 2nd place in Intra College Chess Tournament.
After MBA:
After MBA, I want to work for some years in a finance company where I can learn business as much as I can and pay off my loan and later use those skills to start my own company.
I’m worried for my low GPA a lot. Please suggest me what are the schools that I should target considering I get 700+. Please consider schools outside US like UK, Singapore.

Best Regards,
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Greatly Appreciated!!! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 09:33
Expert's post
Hello,

Don't be so hard on yourself about the GMAT. Many people take the test two or even three times before achieving their target score. Hopefully your 2nd time around will be better :)

It strikes me that you are quite a young candidate. Sound like you will have 3 years work experience by the time of matriculation (on the lower end of experience). That does not mean you cannot get into top programs, but it does mean you'll have a tougher time demonstrating leadership capacity to the same extent as your peers who have 5-6 years of work experience going into the application process.

You should also be aware that you fall into the 'Indian male IT engineer' demographic, and that this means the competition is a lot fiercer for you. You'll need to find a way to differentiate yourself from your peers within this demographic. It's great that you have competitive chess experience - this will show your strong strategy/analytic skill set, but it will not really help you in demonstrating leadership and/or teamwork capacity as chess is a pretty individual game. Your volunteer experience is good, but not great -- volunteering each weekend for an NGO/charity does show commitment to your community, but does not necessarily demonstrate leadership capacity.

All in all, I think your biggest challenge is going to be to demonstrate your leadership potential - both inside and outside of work. So, even if you score above a 700 on the GMAT, I would recommend targeting programs such as HEC, Oxford, Cambridge, Rotterdam, NUS. Alternatively, I would recommend that you spend another year or two building up your leadership profile and then applying to more competitive schools if that is your goal.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the GMAT!

Sincerely,
Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter