Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: profile evaluation mainly for ISB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
aps1611 wrote:
Hi!! I want my profile evaluation mainly for ISB and also for NUS/HKUT/HEC/IE/INSEAD/IMD/BOOTH/YALE/TUCK/McDonough/ROSS

1)I have 2 years of work-ex in a fortune 500 state owned Indian oil major (Bharat Petroleum). I am in the downstream LPG marketing business. I have seen 3 profiles in two years viz Production, Logistics and currently I am the shift in-charge of one Bharat Petroleum's smaller LPG plant. My work includes to oversee the overall plant operations that includes maximising production, optimising distribution, plant maintenance, minimising operations cost, interacting with vendors, distributors and also workforce management. I lead a team of 50 workers that includes technicians, electricians and semi-skilled workmen. I also co-ordinate supplies to over 80 distributerships.

2) GMAT: 720

3) College : B.Tech in Mechanical Engg. from an Indian Institute of Technology.
GPA= 7.65/10. (rank in top 5 of class).

4) Extra-curricular: nothing much. Won in few technical events in inter-college competitions, won gold medal in contract bridge for college in inter-college competition, participated in case study competitions, volunteered for two NGOs (although I dont have any certificates for proof), won prize for paper presentation etc. I maintain a blog dedicated to Oil&Gas industry.

5) Target programs : mainly ISB and also NUS/HKUT/HEC/IE/INSEAD/IMD/BOOTH/YALE/TUCK/McDonough/ROSS.

6) Wish to apply in R1 2014-15.

7) Post MBA goal: Short Term:Management Consulting (Mckinsey,BCG,Bain) or Investment Banking (DB,Citi, Standard Charted,GoldmanSachs),both focused on Oil&Gas sector.
Long Term: Wish to setup an energy research firm in India (something on the lines of CERA).

Hey dude,
Thanks for writing. That's a miiiighty huge school list you got there! But I'll do my best.

So to get started, things looks pretty darn good. You have a great GMAT, come from a great school with very good grades, and a good employer. Allright. All in order. The one major weakness in your profile, is, quite thankfully, your low work experience. Why thankfully? Because all you gotta do is work another year or two and then our profile is in line. :)

For a lot of the schools on your list (basically the European and Asian schools) the average age is about 29-30 and work experience about 5-7 years on matriculation, and with just two you would be a bit on the low side. Soooo if you can have a fruitful year and wait a bit, it may be to your advantage. If it is to your advantage to apply this year, you can of course take your shot. You might do a bit less well than if you waited, and whether it's worth it or not depends on your professional situation and the potential payoff. (For which we'd need to to chat a bit longer and get a bit more info about you).

But otherwise, let's say we are one year down the line, I think your school list is a fair one for your profile,

Hope this helps, and if there's any other way I can help out, just drop a line,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts