Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GRE 1: Q800 V780
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Good questions. What is your current status with HKS MPP? Are you in for next year and plan to defer so that you can double-up with the MBA???

I think that with your profile and your admittance to HKS, your application should be quite strong, and you should for sure have a shot at attending one of those MBAs... Actually the good news is, that even if it doesn't work out, and you are in a "worst-case" scenario, it's not a big deal at all, for you can just go to HKS for the MPP, then go work for two more years, and then apply again if you still want an MBA. And honestly, the HKS MPP should be opening you a ton of doors by itself. But of course we would be aiming for best-case scenario :)... which I think is possible.

Don't bother with the GMAT. If your equivalent is 780 even if it might be a bit downrated for not being a GMAT, still what are they gonna downrate it to? A 760? A 740?? :) It's still more than you need!

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks for the great insight Jon! I've checked out your website and you seem to be operating a great service!

First, your right. I was accepted for Fall 2013 but is deferring matriculation for a year to apply to MBA programs and double up.
Second, in your opinion, will it be better for me to apply in round 1 with what I have now (current employment with public sector that ends in Aug 2013), or should I shoot for another job (possibly consulting, starting in Sept-Oct), put it on my resume and apply in round 2?. I'm not sure how much of a difference it might be, since it would only be a 3 months difference at the most (IF indeed i land a job right away) in terms of work experience, and I would probably getting all my essays and recommendations out of my current employment anyways. So other than the three more months of WE on my resume, I feel like there's not much point in applying in round 2. BUT again that just my personal thought. What do you think?

Thanks for your time, I'll look forward to your feedback!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Apply round 1 for sure. The extra three months at a job will not be worth all that much for your probably won't have enough material to really write about, and if fact, just GETTING the job (meaning the foreknowledge of future employment at a good place) would be just as valuable. So if you can line something up immediately afterwards, yes it will help you, but don't delay your application.

Good luck!

I think you're totally right.

As to my admission offer from Harvard Kennedy School, should I mention the fact that I have been admitted to HKS and have deferred matriculation in order to pursue MPP/MBA dual degree on my resume and cover letter?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Most definitely! This should be at the beginning of every career essay you write, and in integral part of your thought. But it is importunely to do more than simply flaunt the HKS admit like a banner, but to integrate it into the logic behind your career goals - explain WHY you are making the decision you are making, WHY you are preferring to defer, WHY it makes sense in light of your goals. Especially in your case, solid clear reasoning here will go a looooong way.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts