Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Profile Evaluation Please! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 05:01
Hi Jon,

Please evaluate my profile! Details about myself are as under:

Work Experience: I have 41 months of experience in IT industry as an IT consultant. For the majority of my tenure I worked as a software developer in various domains in one of the 5 largest IT service providers in the world with a turnover of 10 billion $ . The domains include financial services and Telecoms.Clients include Barclays Bank, Credit Agricole bank, CAPEB and British Telecoms. Later in my career I had the added responsibility of attending calls on the progress of my team with client British Telecoms. As the project had multiple stakeholders, other leading IT service companies as Tech Mahindra and Virtusa consulting were also part of the call. Also responsible for providing guidance related to our module for incoming new members and to lead them to fix the defects in the system.

Foreign exposure:: Worked for 6 months for a client Credit Agricole Bank in Bordeaux, France. For other projects only interacted with foreign employees of the same multinational.

GMAT : 710 Q49 V38 IR 3

College Bachelors in Engineering in Computer Science and Engineering from Kumaun Engineering College ( State Govt. college in India)

71%(transforms to 2.9 GPA as per the table on mba.com): This score although low as GPA is considered as first division as per the standards of my university.

Extra-Curriculars:

School & College
1) Member of Boys scout
2) Stood first in Inter School Science exhibition
3)Played as opening batsman for college cricket team in National Level Sport Fest and reached semi-final.
4)Played Basketball for the my year in college in final year.
5) Participated and led my team in various debates in college.

WorkPlace:

1)Got selected in the Cricket and Basketball team.
2)Part of Toastmasters.
3) Coordinated the Annual day function of the company.
4) Got recognition for my work and was rated 4, 3, 2 on a scale of 7 in 3 consecutive years respectively.These ratings are company declared(4 is met expectations,3 exceed expectations, and 2 is highly exceed expectations.

B-schools I want to apply : Insead, IESE & IE (Spain), Cambridge & Oxford(UK)

Application round : R3 2014-15 in all colleges barring Oxford. For Oxford applying to R4 2014-15

Post MBA goal: Want to get into any field in finance sector or Technology consulting in corporate sector.

I have some specific questions:

1) I have a low IR score. How much does it affect my application and my recruitment chances in my areas of interest. I read in one of your articles on gmatclub that if you gmat score is not in line with what is required with your goal then change the goal. Is this applicable in this case or can I have a concession on this?

2) I quitted my job 4 months prior as my family required me. Now things are quite stable and I am hunting fora job again. In the mean time I just spent my time knowing about the business world and read a lot of articles on economics. How much does this ruin my chances? Again I have read a lot on the web but want to hear from you can if this be accounted for in a more subtle and justified way.

Please let me know my chances. Also let me know if there is a school that you can suggest which is not in my list.

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 18:13
Expert's post
Hey there good sir,
So a few thoughts. First and foremost, I think you might want to give up the idea of applying R3. There are VERY few places, and as an Indian Male Tech, this is not to your advantage. However if you mean you want to apply NOWish, you have options :) 1. INSEAD - instead of R3, R1 for January 2. IE - they don't have submission deadlines anyways, so you're good here 3. IESE - You likely won't make the March 2nd deadline, and the last round should be a no-go for you, so wait until next year.

Now that that's out of the ay, let's have a look at your profile:

The challenges:
- Indian/Male/IT
- Low GPA
- No job

The Good stuff:
- GMAT
-Some international experience

I think that you may be being a weee bit ambitious with your school list there. INSEAD and Oxford will likely be longshots for you, so you may want to look into some other European programs.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Don't worry about the low IR score. It's the main score that counts here. And there you did a fantastic job!
2. It doesn't "ruin" your chances, but it does make things harder. If you had good solid reasons for quitting your job, you can let them know, buuuuut keep in mind that since you will likely be applying next year also (and then in that case not matriculating until 2015) you should try and get a job ASAP, because although the Adcoms might be forgiving for your not having a job for a few months because of family, they will be less forgiving if those few months become almost two years.

Hope this helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Profile Evaluation Please! [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 22:14
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey there good sir,
So a few thoughts. First and foremost, I think you might want to give up the idea of applying R3. There are VERY few places, and as an Indian Male Tech, this is not to your advantage. However if you mean you want to apply NOWish, you have options :) 1. INSEAD - instead of R3, R1 for January 2. IE - they don't have submission deadlines anyways, so you're good here 3. IESE - You likely won't make the March 2nd deadline, and the last round should be a no-go for you, so wait until next year.

Now that that's out of the ay, let's have a look at your profile:

The challenges:
- Indian/Male/IT
- Low GPA
- No job

The Good stuff:
- GMAT
-Some international experience

I think that you may be being a weee bit ambitious with your school list there. INSEAD and Oxford will likely be longshots for you, so you may want to look into some other European programs.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Don't worry about the low IR score. It's the main score that counts here. And there you did a fantastic job!
2. It doesn't "ruin" your chances, but it does make things harder. If you had good solid reasons for quitting your job, you can let them know, buuuuut keep in mind that since you will likely be applying next year also (and then in that case not matriculating until 2015) you should try and get a job ASAP, because although the Adcoms might be forgiving for your not having a job for a few months because of family, they will be less forgiving if those few months become almost two years.

Hope this helps!

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that information! Really helpful.

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation Please! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 22:20
Expert's post
Always happy to help.

Good luck dude.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado