Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 13:42
Hi,

Would appreciate if you would evaluate my profile. Thanks!
30 yo Asian male
EDUCATION:
Graduated from top 30 U.S. University in 2003
Major in Economics 3.3 GPA
710 GMAT

EXPERIENCE
2003-2005 Undergoing physical therapy from illness
2004 (4 months) Worked part time as a research assistant for a well known Medical School
2005 ( 1 year) Worked part time as an intern for a start up investment bank

2006-2007 (1.5 years) Equity Research Associate at a well known Middle Market International Bank until downsized
2008 (10 months) Equity Research Associate at a well known Middle market bank until downsized
2009-2010 (1 year 10 months) Private Equity Associate at an unknown lower middle market shop
2011- current (7 months as of now) Associate at an early stage M&A shop founded by a guys who ran a division of a bulge bracket bank

Extracurricular
Advanced Ballroom dancing, Brazilian Jui Jitsu
Member of NYC Cares Volunteer Organization

Goals: Asset Management, Entrepreneurship, General Management

Targeting : Sofar I have made a tentative list. Please let me know what you think I should delete or add
Reaches: Harvard (have an inside connection), Wharton, Stanford, Northwestern, Columbia, Dartmouth, Berkely
Target: Duke, UNC, UT Austin, Yale
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 12:12
Expert's post
interesting profile, especially with the two years of PT. Clearly it was a very challenging time to have not been able to work for that long, which makes for a very interesting story to an admissions committee. They love stories about perserverance and overcoming challenges. Having said that, what you have done since seems a little erratic and non-commital. While it's common in banking field to move around some, you don't seem to have any consistency with employers. You can overcome this if the reason you moved around was for progressive responsiblity or higher level opportunities. If it was all just lateral moves, you need to work hard toovercome the stigma that you may not have been a good employee. It's all in how you cast your experience and your vision. I think you have a good shot at your target schools and are wise to throw several reaches in as well. It's a good year to apply because application numbers are down and you are somewhat of a diversity play, which could help. Good luck.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 19:18
What happens in case of therapies? Do they need to be reflected only on the essays or Adcoms ask for reference letters from doctors as well?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 19:41
Thanks Bryant for your advice.

I had to deal with the stigma that I was not a good employee through many interviews following 2008. It was a tough time on wall street as my whole team was laid off. Every direct superior would say great things about me as well as clients and peers. Would it make a any difference if my former direct supervisors also acted as my reference?

Regarding lateral moves: I always had a "promotion" in title. In equity research I went from a junior associate to senior associate. Private equity I had to come in as an associate. Now I am a post mba associate level in banking. However, these are very minor steps. I honestly just had to play the cards I was dealt, which were bad.

Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: INSEAD '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 21:11
HI,

Please help me out here - my profile as per below

1. Graduation from Delhi University, India - Bachelor of Commerce 53% score - No GPA concept
2. MBA from ICFAI Business School, Hyderabad, India – pass out 2004 ( 2 year residential course) CGPA 9.02/10
3. I have 7 years of Post MBA Experience in leading Corporate – CITIFINANCIAL / HDFC BANK / TATA CAPITAL
4. Age is 32 Years
5. From a Management Trainee in 2002 I have risen in Corporate Ranks to that of a Assistant Vice President
6. GMAT to be taken in 1st week of September.

A revert from your end will go a long way in directing my preparation efforts.

Targeted schools – INSEAD / LBS / OXFORD / HEC / IE