Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Request for Feedback/Suggestions [#permalink]
Your profile is impressive: 7 years work experience with managerial and leadership responsibilities, international experience, extracurricular activities, community service , and awards to your credit.Your GPA is also good keeping in mind the grading system of your university. The only weak area is your GMAT score and you don't want to retake it because you have taken it four times. I think, if you can explain your average GMAT score in your optional essay, you should be fine.

I hope it helped.

If you found my post helpful, please let me know by pushing the thank button. You can also email me at poonam@myessayreview.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Poonam,

Thanks for the feedback.

Please let me know my chances to impress ISB or IIM's adcoms.

I am just trying to know the kind of profiles + low GMAT score that get an admission at ISB/IIM's.Ofcourse, I understand that if a profile is not outstanding or out of norm, then with such a low score it is just a wishful thinking.

Hello OasisGC,

Eagerly waiting for your inputs too.

Cheers,
GKP
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Essays are the greatest tools you can use to showcase your candidacy. Reflect on of 3-4 personal/professional traits that define you and then recall times when you had demonstrated those qualities .The more effectively you tell your stories, the better chances you have to impress the Ad Com. I have seen applicants with impressive profiles but their essays fail to impress the Ad Com because of lack of persuasive stories.

Also, I don't think you need to wait for another year to apply. Go ahead and begin working on your application process.

Good luck.
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for your reply to my question.

With your profile, you fall in the category of Indian IT male (the most competitive pool), so you have certain challenges that you have to tackle (but you have enough gun power to shoot as per the details given, so don't worry).

Strengthen each part of your application with strategy and story.

1) Differentiate yourself from other Indian IT pool and exhibit your profile as perfect combination of leadership qualities and technical expertise (believe me a rare combination, and this is your best weapon), i suggest you work out your professional work experience where you must highlight

a) Leadership experience - do not ever miss highlighting how you took initiatives, handled team, resolved differences etc. just mentioning the leadership experience will not communicate how you have contributed as a leader. If you have led members from different countries, highlight the same.
b) International work ex - highlight how you have adapted to the culture around world, the difficulties that you encountered, the problems that you solved etc, talk about what you learned from UK market and US market
c) Diverse industries - if you have worked across different industries, highlight how working across industries helped you to strengthen your analytical skills etc

For each of the above points with respect to your work experience, you must carve out your individual stories. you do not need to give one additional year for your WE, you are fine with till date work ex, you have gained almost everything that the adcom appreciates.

2) Academic performance - do not worry about the GPA conversions etc because you have stood out to be the top performer from your university, i would suggest that you procure a formal letter from the university (not school) for the same. Every university provides rank certificate as well, so procure rank certificate (why to just write down that you stood out to be top 5 students, prove it so there is no doubt in their mind), i would suggest to take professional recommendations since you have substantial work experience.

3) GMAT Score:

If you think, you are done with it than do not worry, you may justify your gmat score in your optional essay and highlight your strong academic performance.

GMAT 1: 470 (Q48,V11)
GMAT 2: 630(Q48, V28)
GMAT 3: 600(Q48, V24)
GMAT 4: 660(Q48, V34)

Now, the gmat score depends on which school you want to go, with 660 and given your profile you are good fit for oxford, said, IE and IMD, but you must ensure that you apply in the first round itself. LBS and INSEAD will be a stretch, but you may take a chance, if you want to explore Asia - explore HKUST, NUS, NTU.

IE has an internal test as well, you may choose to take their internal test, if you want to know more about the test, please send me a PM. It is a fairly simple test.

4) Extracurricular Activity:

You have sound ECs, again highlight the LEADERSHIP incidences at these ECs, and i am sure you will be good with it.

Believe me each and every involvement is important and adds value to your profile, but you should choose one or two that are the strongest and appeal to adcom. Ideally, the adcom believes what you mention in your app, so they will not ask for proof for ECs, however if you can get some certificates from respective institutions, it will help you. when you present a documentary evidence, the credibility sounds high.

5) Goals

Your goals sound ok , but you may structure it with simplification.

You have decent profile, and you have all chances to make it to good school.

Now comes the Question of coming back to india after your MBA.

1) Its becoming very difficult to get placed in Europian markets and UK markets (not impossible though), so post your education you may settle at Europe or UK post education (depending in the region from where you do your MBA).After doing MBA from NON US schools, it would be a challenge to get a job in US markets.

2) If you want to come back to India, choose only top notch colleges - IE, Oxford, Said etc. , I have seen people coming back to India after passing out from these schools and students get better job profiles and decent salary hikes.

Especially, with the industry you have been into, you can come back to India (though do not expect miracles to happen :) ), but i am sure MBA degree is not a year or a decade's investment, eventually you will gain from the degree.

So,work on your essays and i am sure you will be great.

I have tried to address most of your queries, but you can come back to me if you have any questions in your mind

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello OasisGC,

Thanks for your inputs and valuable insights.These will definitely aid me in the application process.

Just thought to ask you few more questions:

1. Please suggest , if my profile and score are fit for any top ranked north american or canadian b schools ?

2. To be frank, Post MBA I would like to return back to India immediately.So I would like to invest in those colleges that have a better record of MBA grads returning back to india after completing their MBA.Do adcoms take this idea of returning back to india post MBA on the negative side?

I will definitely PM you for the test details.Thanks a lot for your help and inputs.

Cheers,
GKP
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
gopalpanigrahy wrote:
Hello OasisGC,

Thanks for your inputs and valuable insights.These will definitely aid me in the application process.

Just thought to ask you few more questions:

1. Please suggest , if my profile and score are fit for any top ranked north american or canadian b schools ?

2. To be frank, Post MBA I would like to return back to India immediately.So I would like to invest in those colleges that have a better record of MBA grads returning back to india after completing their MBA.Do adcoms take this idea of returning back to india post MBA on the negative side?

I will definitely PM you for the test details.Thanks a lot for your help and inputs.

Cheers,
GKP

Hi Gopal,

You are most welcome.

1) US schools - all top full time programs are two year programs (except one year mba at emory, kellog and cornell). with score of 660 top 10 will be a stretch, you might try 10-20 in the first round.

Your GMAT falls in range of all the canadian b-schools (rotman, schullich, mc.gill , ivey - almost all the schools have an average of 660 gmat, but you must apply in 1st round since you are from indian IT pool , and you will compete with IT male peers who score 700+ most often.

2) If you want to come back to India immediately after your MBA, there are a few points

a) You should not go for canadian schools, these are regional schools and will not help you once you are back to india.
b) I would recommend - IE, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD if you intend to come back.
c) Above all, if you are crystal clear about coming back to India, why don't you take a look at one year programs offered by IIMs.(IIM - C, IIM Indore , IIM Banglore), you would have best of ROI, in future you may take a short duration management development program from international b-school to add international flavor to your education.

You are in India only, why dont you go and visit a few students of current batches at these programs, you will have fair idea how the programs may help in achieving your goals. I know a few who have passed out from these programs and they were happy about it.

Do not be apprehensive about your goal of coming back to India, Adcoms do not mind it.

Hope this helps !!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello OasisGC,

Thanks a lot.Your inputs are extremely helpful.

I never ruled out the IIM's from my list, but , unfortunately, people provided me the feedback that ,with a 660 score , I do not stand a chance for an interview call from the IIM's.

The best i can do now is write bang on essays and convince the adcoms.But, when I received the inputs that my score wont even fetch me an interview call, I stopped thinking about the IIM's.

Cheers,
GKP
Admission Consultant
Send PM
Expert Reply
gopalpanigrahy wrote:
Hello OasisGC,

Thanks a lot.Your inputs are extremely helpful.

I never ruled out the IIM's from my list, but , unfortunately, people provided me the feedback that ,with a 660 score , I do not stand a chance for an interview call from the IIM's.

The best i can do now is write bang on essays and convince the adcoms.But, when I received the inputs that my score wont even fetch me an interview call, I stopped thinking about the IIM's.

Cheers,
GKP

Hello,

I am sorry, but i differ. You stand a decent chance at Indian IIMs - One year program (except IIM A - big stretch)

Why not to visit the college , talk to current students and admissions team ? believe me if you are interested , you can

all the best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello OasisGC,

Thanks for the inputs.I will visit and interact with folks out there.Perhaps, I assumed too much without trying out the practical way.

Cheers,
GKP
GMAT Club Bot