Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.73
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - UCLA FEMBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
stevennu wrote:
Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. With regards to official support from my firm, I will have a letter of recommendation from my current supervisor. Additionally, my company will be footing approximately 20% of the bill.

Other than bringing it up in the essays, what do you think is the best way to let the school know that this is the only program I'm pursuing? Should I mention it several times in the 3 different essays or should I bring it up when I meet with the admissions members for my 1 on 1 meeting? I agree that it is important to mention because it shows that I'm focused on their program and have done my research to figure out where I fit best (at least in my opinion).

Lastly, coming back to my quant. Do you see it being a huge issue if I apply with a 650 score and a quant in the 50th - 55th percentile? Would I be able to work around that given the fact that I work in a quant oriented industry? I'm scoring in the 90th percentile in verbal so I'm not worried about that part of the test. Also, would my strong GPA be able to offset a low quant score?

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I can boost my chances? I've already been to several class visits, open house events, and informal meetings.

Hey dude,
Well I think bringing up in the essay the fact that their school is the best and only you are applying too is the best way to go about it. No need to write it more than once. They read through the applications and will get it. Of course you should also repeat this to whomever you speak to from the school, esp. during the interview (also would good when you have good solid reasons as to WHY... i.e. they are the best most wonderful school, perfectly fitting your career and industry, etc. etc.).

For the GMAT, a 650 can make things tougher... I think I last looked up the average GMAT was 690 and then the low end was 630, so thats already scratching a bit low. If your Quant turns out real low, you can always at least show your intention to take a few prep courses before your matriculation, which may help some.

Other than the GMAT, just keep on doing what you are doing, going to events meeting people, leaving business cards, asking questions. You have only ONE school you want, so it's easier to concentrate your energies on it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Now time to go balls to the wall on quant!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
That's exactly what I was gonna say :)

Good luck dude.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Took my first GMAT Preptest yesterday and hit a 690 (Q44 / V40). Things are looking up.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
oooooohhhh yeahhhhhhhhh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Took my second GMAT Prep Test today and got a 680 (Q44 / V38). I did a bit worse in the verbal section which is surprising since I finished with over 8 minutes left and felt like I was nailing all the questions. Oh well, I'm happy with the score. That 700 is within reach. I can taste it.

Now time for an old fashioned
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
stevennu wrote:
Took my second GMAT Prep Test today and got a 680 (Q44 / V38). I did a bit worse in the verbal section which is surprising since I finished with over 8 minutes left and felt like I was nailing all the questions. Oh well, I'm happy with the score. That 700 is within reach. I can taste it.

Now time for an old fashioned

Prettty gooooood. When's your actual retake???
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The real deal is Nov 23rd. It will be my first time taking the actual test.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
stevennu wrote:
The real deal is Nov 23rd. It will be my first time taking the actual test.

Good luck! post it here when you get that score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Took my GMAT today. Ended up with a 660 (Q42 V39). Although I'm not thrilled with the results, I'm not suicidal. My last four preptests averaged 680 and I was expecting to score in that range. My performance on verbal was the worst I've done in my last 4 preptests. I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. I'm inclined to apply but am concerned with my quant score. On a sidenote, have the scoring scales been moving? According to the testmasters GMAT scales, a 42 on quant is 61st percentile whereas 39 verbal is 87th percentile. I was shooting for a 42 on quant reasoning that a 42Q/39V (worst case verbal) would result in a 670 score (according to the CAT Prep score calculator).

All that being taken into consideration, what would you all recommend as my next course of action? Should I apply and see what happens or should I plan to retest (really don't want to) in 30 days?

Also, if I'm dinged from the program, can I retake the GMAT and apply in a later round?

Thanks for all the help thus far.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey dude,
Well, you have your score and your one school, so now it's up to you to make the best of it by giving them an amazing application. You are a Mexican/Cuban American, with work in a strong industry so I think the chances are there. But definitely think ahead about a backup plan - Right now you will apply with the best application possible, but just in case you don't get in you will... (retake the GMAT? apply to other schools? something else?)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey dude,
Well, you have your score and your one school, so now it's up to you to make the best of it by giving them an amazing application. You are a Mexican/Cuban American, with work in a strong industry so I think the chances are there. But definitely think ahead about a backup plan - Right now you will apply with the best application possible, but just in case you don't get in you will... (retake the GMAT? apply to other schools? something else?)

Thanks Jon. Do schools typically allow you to reapply the same year in a later round? If I find out I was dinged because of my GMAT, could I retake and apply in a later round?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
stevennu wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey dude,

Thanks Jon. Do schools typically allow you to reapply the same year in a later round? If I find out I was dinged because of my GMAT, could I retake and apply in a later round?

Nope. I, afraid you cant do that. And the other thing is that when you reapply they want to see a visible change in you and your profile, so you need the time anyhow.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got in. Thanks for all the help and feedback.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cha-ching!!!

Go You!
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts