Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Request / School recommendations [#permalink]
Doesn't really help because you're basically saying you're open to just about anything, and using broad terms such as "finance" and "entrepreneurship" and "general management" really doesn't mean a whole lot.

Most MBA applicants don't know what they want to do post-MBA. But most will have a few *specific* paths they would like to explore. In other words, they "don't know what to do" not because they're clueless with a blank slate, but they are *undecided*.

Without having done some research into the specific kinds of jobs you want to pursue post-MBA, asking what b-schools you should target or even whether you should go to b-school at all is like p*ssing in the wind.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by muzioler on 19 Apr 2009, 23:16.
Last edited by muzioler on 20 Apr 2009, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
If you don't mind me being a little direct here.

Aside from your GMAT, your profile for a top school isn't particularly strong compared to other folks applying -- in other words, you are competing against other guys roughly your age who have stronger resumes than you do. An extraordinarily high GMAT score won't compensate for that.

Which is why the only thing you can do to make the most of your chances is to ensure you're doing the absolute best job you can on the written applications and interview.

To do that, you need to have laser focused career goals. You can't afford to be "open minded" and frankly don't expect that you can make up a story and feign "focus" when you're not. Adcoms can smell it a mile away (we all think we're better "storytellers" than we really are). Because of your professional background, you will be held to a much higher standard when it comes to your career focus. No matter how you spin it, adcoms will still believe that you've had your "fun and self-exploration" teaching in Asia -- no matter what you believe, most adcoms will expect that you are now going to buckle down and focus. Especially if your resume is not as strong as other applicants -- if you want an adcom to believe in your potential, you have to show them that you're focused. And you can't fake that even if you think you can.

For MBA recruiting, this kind of focus is also essential especially if you don't have work experience that employers will necessarily covet. Compared to other MBA students, they would be hiring you based on raw untested potential compared to say the bankers, consultants, engineers, military, etc. which are perceived by recruiters to be more rigorous of an experience. As such, if you aren't super focused in b-school, you will have a far tougher time than say some banking dude who is just "exploring his options". Unfair perhaps, but business school isn't some equalizing factor where all of a sudden every MBA student is equal. Some MBA students have a far easier time with getting jobs than others based on their professional background alone and what post-MBA job they are gunning for. Even at schools outside the top 16 but still within the top 50, a good chunk of your fellow classmates will have years of solid corporate experience whom you will be competing against for jobs.

In any case, you probably should focus on schools outside the top 16 (even with laser focused career goals). I think the top 16 schools will be a stretch. Schools like USC, UNC, Vandy, Indiana, Maryland, Texas, Georgetown, Emory, Wake, etc. are all schools that you could look into and research.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Alex,

Thanks for being blunt. I truly appreciate it. It'll help me direct my search. I personally think I am focused, but I will definitely narrow down my interests further by the time that I apply.

Thanks again
GMAT Club Bot