Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:YALE SOM
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619032 [5]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Send PM
Re: Three identical cylindrical cans of radii 2 inches are to be shipped [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
d1.GIF
The area of the rectangle is \(length*width\).

Length equals to \(4*radius=8\).

Width will be altitude of the equilateral triangle formed by the radii of the circles (shown on the diagram) plus \(2*radius=4\). Altitude of the equilateral triangle is \(s\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\) (where \(s\) is the side of the equilateral triangle), in our case \(s\) equals to \(2radius=4\) --> \(altitude=4\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}=2\sqrt{3}\). So the width of the rectangle will be \(4+2\sqrt{3}\).

\(Area=length*width=8*(4+2\sqrt{3})\)

Ok, I get it, its weird that they put the answer wrong ... So, just to confirm, we understand the "whole area of the cross section" means the whole figure (rectangle) right?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1484 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Send PM
Re: Three identical cylindrical cans of radii 2 inches are to be shipped [#permalink]
Nusa84 wrote:
Ok, I get it, its weird that they put the answer wrong ... So, just to confirm, we understand the "whole area of the cross section" means the whole figure (rectangle) right?

Yes. The wording here strikes me as odd and, combined with the mistake in the answers, makes me think this question is either not from a good source or has been transcribed incorrectly as it has been passed around.

The actual GMAT would more likely say "What is the area of the cross section of the rectangular box in square inches?" to be clear. (See OG PS #145 for an example.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [1]
Send PM
Thanks for the clarification!

I dont really know the exact source as i get it from a combination that my gmat school prepared. But i think the answer is correct tough, if you factorize 2 in the terms of the parenthesis you get the 16(2+sqrt3) marked as a correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Quote:
Width will be altitude of the equilateral triangle formed by the radii of the circles (shown on the diagram) plus 2*radius=4.

I don't understand the above sentence.

Well, actually reading the whole problem again, I must say I don't quite understand at all? I thought we are asked to find the area of a rectangular which I thought should be a square (4*r = 8). So, I thought the answer would be 8*8 = 64. Then I have read your explanation and now I don't know what the question asks.

So maybe if you could clarify the whole question.

Thanks a lot.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619032 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
nonameee wrote:
Quote:
Width will be altitude of the equilateral triangle formed by the radii of the circles (shown on the diagram) plus 2*radius=4.

I don't understand the above sentence.

Well, actually reading the whole problem again, I must say I don't quite understand at all? I thought we are asked to find the area of a rectangular which I thought should be a square (4*r = 8). So, I thought the answer would be 8*8 = 64. Then I have read your explanation and now I don't know what the question asks.

So maybe if you could clarify the whole question.

Thanks a lot.

We should find the area of the box. Note that the box is not a square it's just a rectangle, so the length of it is indeed 4r=8, but the width is less. If you look at the diagram you'll see that it equals to 2r (one radius below the triangle and one radius above the triangle) plus the height of the triangle (shown at the diagram): 2r+height. so the area=8r*(2r+height).

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Oh, yes, thank you, Bunuel. I got it now.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nusa84 wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment d1.JPG is no longer available

Three identical cylindrical cans of radii 2 inches are to be shipped in a rectangular box. The figure shows a cross-section with the distribution of the cans so that the minimum space in the container is wasted. What is, in square inches, the whole area of the cross-sections?

A. 64
\(B. 12\pi\)
\(C. (4 + 2 sqrt3)^2\)
\(D. (16+2 sqrt3)\)
E.It cannot be determined with the information given.

Could any one clarify what do they exactly mean by cross-section? I am not sure if I am getting it right ... Thanks!

First instinct - It looks like a square.
But remember - "Figures may not be to scale. Don't assume anything from figures. Check it out for yourself"

When would it be a square?
Attachment:
Ques.jpg
Ques.jpg [ 10.32 KiB | Viewed 3792 times ]

But the circles have been placed to maximize area utilization. So the width of this rectangle is actually less than its length.
Attachment:
Ques1.jpg
Ques1.jpg [ 12.72 KiB | Viewed 3778 times ]

We know the length here is still 8.
What we need is the width AC.
Now AB = 2 because it is equal to the radius
Also OC = 2, again equal to radius.
But what is OB?
Note that the triangle in the middle is equilateral because each of its sides is 2r i.e. 4.
Hence the altitude of this triangle, i.e. OB, will be\({\sqrt{3}*4}/2\)
(Altitude of equilateral triangle of side a is \({\sqrt{3}*a}/2\) )

therefore AC becomes 2 + \(\sqrt{3}*4/2 + 2 = 4 + 2\sqrt{3}\)

Area of rectangle = \(8* (4 + 2\sqrt{3})\) or \(16* (2 + \sqrt{3})\)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
The 3 midpoints of the circles, when joined form an equilateral triangle with side- 4
now one side of a square= 2 + 2 + height of equilateral triangle

Height of equilateral triangle = side * sqrt(3)/2 = 4 * sqrt(3)/2 = 2sqrt(3)

total length of rectangle = 2sqrt(3)
total width of rectangle = 8
area= length * width

Answer:- choice not available....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts