Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Does abcd = 1? [#permalink]
Well said Ian +1.

I would be wary of any strategy which would want me to take a decision based on my limited understanding of what a "typical" GMAT taker would do.

Much easier and simpler to stick to the underlying Math - it would work every time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
spacelandprep wrote:
The question asks whether the product of four variables will be 1. The variables are completely unqualified, so to answer this question something must be known about each variable.

I've seen prep company representatives repeat this idea in many places, and it's mathematical nonsense. If you change your question to:

Does abcd = 0?
(1) abc = 0
(2) bcd = 0

then you certainly do not need to know 'about each variable' to answer the question; the answer is D even though we don't know the value of any of the variables. There are many official DS questions with multiple unknowns which follow a similar pattern - the question asks for the value of some combination of unknowns, and while you cannot determine the value of the unknowns themselves, you can still answer the question. Q168 in the DS section of OG12 is one of many examples.

It is true that something must be known about each variable for Q168. The sufficient statement mentions both variables.

IanStewart wrote:
spacelandprep wrote:
Let's modify this for the GMAT: "Whenever I'm about to pick an answer, I think, "Would a typical GMAT taker pick that answer?"And if they would, I do not pick that answer."

There are many GMAT questions which are genuinely simple. Applying this test to real GMAT questions could easily lead a test taker to 'outsmart' him or herself, and pick the wrong answer rather than the correct one. While I agree one should be suspicious of 'obvious' answers in DS, the safest thing for the test taker to do is to understand the math involved, rather than apply gimmicky 'tricks' which will only give you the right answer some of the time.

While knowing the math is the safest route to a correct answer, it's not always a possible route. Familiarity with the mathematical concepts covered on the GMAT is essential but sometimes a question is simply going to be beyond you, well maybe not you, but some of us. Having an alternate form of approach is necessary in those instances. It's by no means a guarantee, but anything that improves the odds of getting a tough question correct when using math is not an option is a great tool.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts