Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [34]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: Quote: Editorialist: Despite the importance it seems to have [#permalink]
Expert Reply
deepti1206 wrote:
Editorialist: Despite the importance it seems to have in our lives, money does not really exist. This is evident from the fact that all that would be needed to make money disappear would be a universal loss of belief in it. We witness this phenomenon on a small scale daily in the rises and falls of financial markets, whose fluctuations are often entirely independent of concrete causes and are the result of mere beliefs of investors.

The conclusion of the editorialist's argument can be properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

A) Anything that exists would continue to exist even if everyone were to stop believing in it.

B) Only if one can have mistaken beliefs about a thing does that thing exist, strictly speaking.

C) In order to exist, an entity must have practical consequences for those who believe in it.

D) If everyone believes in something, then that thing exists.

E) Whatever is true of money is true of financial markets generally.

EXPLANATION FROM Fox LSAT

A very hard question.

• Conclusion: Money —> NOT really exist
  • Premise 1: Loss of belief in money —> money disappears

The last sentence is just a distraction—nothing useful here.

The question is a Sufficient Assumption question. Thus, we’re looking for something that will bridge the gap between the premise and the conclusion. The premise says money disappears if people stop believing in it. So my prediction is, “Anything that disappears does not really exist.” The contrapositive of that would be, “If you really exist, you do not disappear.” Note that this is very big and strong and broad. The actual answer doesn’t need to be this strong, but it could be and still be correct. (This is exactly opposite of a Necessary Assumption question, where we would have to throw out any answer that was even slightly overbroad.)

A) This seems close to our prediction. “Really exist —> continue to exist” is pretty similar in meaning to “really exist —> not disappear.” The contrapositive of A would be continue to exist —> really exist. When added to the premise, we get:

• Premise 1: loss of belief in money —> money disappears (very similar to not continue to exist)
  • Answer A: continue to exist —> really exist
  • Conclusion: Money —> really exist

That’s a rough fit, but almost works for me. I could pick this answer.

B) This is not a good answer because “mistaken beliefs” is not used anywhere in the argument.

C) This is not a good answer because “practical consequences” is not used in the argument.

D) This is not a good answer because it could only be used to prove that something does exist, not used to prove something does not exist.

E) This is not a good answer because it is irrelevant.

The answer is A.

Tough question because:

1) It includes a lot of extraneous information in the argument.
2) The correct answer isn’t very satisfactory; it’s only a rough match rather than a perfect fit.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
at first i was really confused to solve this puzzle ..
but after some brainstorming i would go with D..

from the secnd line..
money disappears(thing disappears)---> ~ belief loss

Contrapositive :
belief loss ---> thing exist (~ thing exist )

but i dunt noe y others wrong ..still .need a logical explanation ..
dont hav the OA for this question...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
A) Anything that exists would continue to exist even if everyone were to stop believing in it.

B) Only if one can have mistaken beliefs about a thing does that thing exist, strictly speaking. Irrelevant

C) In order to exist, an entity must have practical consequences for those who believe in it. Irrelevant

D) If everyone believes in something, then that thing exists. Opp is stated in the premise eg: If no cloud -> no rains doesnt mean cloud ->rain

E) Whatever is true of money is true of financial markets generally. Such Correlation is Not stated

POE is the best way to get A in this case.

Although if u re look at Premise it says -

Money doesnt exists -->it exists because people believe it exists ->if people stop believing money exists it will not exist

Eg: ghosts exist coz people believe in it. But trees will exist whether people believe or not. (Sorry its an out of scope example. :) )

The statements only talk about the impact of belief on non-existent things. It assumes that belief has no impact on Existent things.

I hope that makes some sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Bookmarks
I would approach this question using the process of elimination

B) Only if one can have mistaken beliefs about a thing does that thing exist, strictly speaking. - Mistaken beliefs ie wrong notions - No such reference in the premise - Eliminated

C) In order to exist, an entity must have practical consequences for those who believe in it. - Money has practical consequences for everyone. Not mentioned in the passage - Eliminated

E) Whatever is true of money is true of financial markets generally. - Purely out of scope

A and D are strong contenders and I chose D over A.

D) If everyone believes in something, then that thing exists. - Something exists only when everyone believes in it which does not provide evidence when the situation is opposite to the said case.

A) Anything that exists would continue to exist even if everyone were to stop believing in it. - Passage talks about only non-existent things. Option A precisely fills in the gap about the difference between existent and non-existent things.

Still needs a bit of explanation. I hope some one will explain more clearly.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Option A.

It talks about 'anything that exists' unlike money.
Therefore, the thing that exists does not depend solely on the belief system as money does.

You can use contrapositive approach (courtesy: PowerScore CR Bible book) to get to this too.

B------> xx E
E------> xx B

Belief ----> leads to something that doesn't exist
Thing existing ----> doesn't need belief
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
deepti1206 wrote:
Editorialist: Despite the importance it seems to have in our lives, money does not really exist. This is evident from the fact that all that would be needed to make money disappear would be a universal loss of belief in it. We witness this phenomenon on a small scale daily in the rises and falls of financial markets, whose fluctuations are often entirely independent of concrete causes and are the result of mere beliefs of investors.

The conclusion of the editorialist's argument can be properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

B) Only if one can have mistaken beliefs about a thing does that thing exist, strictly speaking.

C) In order to exist, an entity must have practical consequences for those who believe in it.

A universal loss of belief in it will make money disappear.
We witness this phenomenon on a small scale daily in the rises and falls of financial markets.

Conclusion: Money does not exist.

We are concluding that money does not exist by saying that if people stop believing in it, it will disappear. So we are assuming that if something disappears because of lost beliefs, it doesn't really exist. We are assuming that anything that exists should continue to exist even if people stop believing in it. If it disappears when people stop believing in it, it doesn't exist.

We need a sufficient assumption.

Correct. As discussed above, we are assuming that anything that exists would continue to exist even if people did not believe in it.

We don't know whether beliefs are mistaken or not hence this is irrelevant.

We don't know what is meant by the term practical consequences. Irrelevant.

No. The argument says that if everyone stops believing in something and that makes the thing disappear, then the thing doesn't really exist in the first place. The argument says that money doesn't exist even though people believe in it. It says that this because if tomorrow people stop believing in it, it will disappear. Our argument talks about what happens when people stop believing in a thing. So a statement that tells us what happens when people believe in something is irrelevant.

We would have given it a thought if it were reversed - whatever is true of financial markets, is true of money. But as given, this is irrelevant.

Answer (A)

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma I'm still confused between choices A and D. Can you show how option A can be negated? Because I negated it in this way: Anything that exists would not continue to exist even if
everyone were to stop believing in it. Doesn't this seem to be strenghtening the argument? Please explain where I am going wrong.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hector1S wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
deepti1206 wrote:

A universal loss of belief in it will make money disappear.
We witness this phenomenon on a small scale daily in the rises and falls of financial markets.

Conclusion: Money does not exist.

We are concluding that money does not exist by saying that if people stop believing in it, it will disappear. So we are assuming that if something disappears because of lost beliefs, it doesn't really exist. We are assuming that anything that exists should continue to exist even if people stop believing in it. If it disappears when people stop believing in it, it doesn't exist.

We need a sufficient assumption.

Correct. As discussed above, we are assuming that anything that exists would continue to exist even if people did not believe in it.

We don't know whether beliefs are mistaken or not hence this is irrelevant.

We don't know what is meant by the term practical consequences. Irrelevant.

No. The argument says that if everyone stops believing in something and that makes the thing disappear, then the thing doesn't really exist in the first place. The argument says that money doesn't exist even though people believe in it. It says that this because if tomorrow people stop believing in it, it will disappear. Our argument talks about what happens when people stop believing in a thing. So a statement that tells us what happens when people believe in something is irrelevant.

We would have given it a thought if it were reversed - whatever is true of financial markets, is true of money. But as given, this is irrelevant.

Answer (A)

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma I'm still confused between choices A and D. Can you show how option A can be negated? Because I negated it in this way: Anything that exists would not continue to exist even if
everyone were to stop believing in it. Doesn't this seem to be strenghtening the argument? Please explain where I am going wrong.

When you have quantitative modifiers, you need to negate them to negate the statement.

means
All things that exist would continue to exist even if everyone were to stop believing in them.

Negation is: Not all things that exist would continue to exist even if everyone were to stop believing in them.
It means that there are some things that exist but would not continue to exist if everyone were to stop believing in them.
Since money could be one of those things, can we now say that money does not exist? No. It could exist even if it may not exists if everyone stopped believing in it.

So the negation breaks the conclusion.

Check this post:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... ions-gmat/

As for (D), note that it is irrelevant.
We are discussing what happens when everyone stops believing in something. Does that thing stop existing or not. Does it mean it never existed? etc
We are not discussing what happens when everyone believes in something.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts