Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

RC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

RC [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 08:03
While reading a RC passage I usually get lost...after reading the first paragraph I just can't keep my concentration...specially when reading a complex RC passage,it happens more than usual n it took me a lot of time to get d gist of passage..Is there any way to improve?Please suggest...Thanks
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 11:55
Expert's post
Hi Farukqmul

Your concern is one that many students express. The good news is that there definitely a way to improve. First off, I would recommend making mini-summaries after each paragraph. These don't have to be more than a few words that capture the gist of the passage. The key is not to look at the paragraph after you've done reading it. Rather force yourself to come up with a mini-summary based only on your memory. At first this may be difficult, but by forcing yourself to look for meaning in the paragraph, will lead you to actively engage the passage.

Repeat this strategy with each paragraph. By the end of the passage you should not only understand each paragraph but should also have a sense of the main idea of the passage. Once you become adept at writing down mini-summaries, start doing mental summaries. That is, force yourself to make a quick mental summary after reading each paragraph.

At first do not worry so much about time. Indeed, time can nip this strategy in the bud, and force you to rush through the passage. So take your time implementing this strategy. In the long run, paraphrasing in your head will save you a lot of time once you get to the questions (you will have a better sense of where to look for key information and will be able to answer questions with more confidence).

Finally, remember that very few people find the passage interesting - the key is making the passage interesting by engaging yourself the way described above.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Re: RC [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 19:06
ChrisLele wrote:
Hi Farukqmul

Your concern is one that many students express. The good news is that there definitely a way to improve. First off, I would recommend making mini-summaries after each paragraph. These don't have to be more than a few words that capture the gist of the passage. The key is not to look at the paragraph after you've done reading it. Rather force yourself to come up with a mini-summary based only on your memory. At first this may be difficult, but by forcing yourself to look for meaning in the paragraph, will lead you to actively engage the passage.

Repeat this strategy with each paragraph. By the end of the passage you should not only understand each paragraph but should also have a sense of the main idea of the passage. Once you become adept at writing down mini-summaries, start doing mental summaries. That is, force yourself to make a quick mental summary after reading each paragraph.

At first do not worry so much about time. Indeed, time can nip this strategy in the bud, and force you to rush through the passage. So take your time implementing this strategy. In the long run, paraphrasing in your head will save you a lot of time once you get to the questions (you will have a better sense of where to look for key information and will be able to answer questions with more confidence).

Finally, remember that very few people find the passage interesting - the key is making the passage interesting by engaging yourself the way described above.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions :).

Thanks a lot Chris...I will definitely try to apply your suggs...n I will let u know..:)
Re: RC   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2012, 19:06