Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 04-19-2012
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT Date: 04-19-2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: RC Advice [#permalink]
The thing that helped me most was to believe that every word in the answer choice had to be correct. There was no inbetween, and most of the wrong but juicy AC had just one word wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Great advice..surely it will help.
I am facing accuracy problem in RC..if i try to re-read the passage then i get lost in the passage text..but if i understand the passage in initial reading then it helps me a lot..I need to practice hell lot in RC...hope i will make good out of practice at D-day
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
3 things I wanted to mention as far as GMAT RC goes:

1) Remember that answering the questions correctly is far more important than understanding the passage fully. Many students fall into the trap of spending way too long on the passage and end up rushed when they hit the questions.

2) RC is not so much about knowing stuff but more about keeping your mental stamina up. For 2 passages with similar difficulty - solving RC question #36 is a lot, lot different from solving RC question #6 on the test. During practice we tend to solve in isolated sprints while on the real deal it is all about putting it in a 3-hour marathon.

3) RC is about critical reading i.e. reading with a sense of anticipation. In normal life the onus on being understood is upto the writer. On the GMAT it lies with the reader. So we need to ask ourselves "Why is he saying this? Why does he use "however" in this sentence? What is the summary?" etc while reading. Read it as you are reading this post and you're dead! :P

Arun
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
In my opinion, one needs to read and comprehend the passage to be able to answer questions efficiently. Remember, to save time you want to minimize back and forth between the passage and answer choices. This also minimizes the strain on your mind. We recently launched our RC course (on April 7). Prior to that we did a lot of research working with approximately 50 students. Efficient reading is the #1 factor that impacted an individuals performance on RC.

As a best practice, we do trials prior to the launch to gauge the effectiveness of our offering. Here is what our beta trial users reported:

https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=1221
https://e-gmat.com/blogs/?p=1234

We offer a very generous free trial for RC course. Register at e-gmat.com and see if it helps.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts