Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 21:50 It is currently 11 May 2024, 21:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28617 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28617 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: rc guidance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kk12 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Very rightly said,I have been mistaken there were only four passages.I took the an exam from gmat pack.

Further i have been solving the official guide where i see passages with 6/8/9 questions aswell.
Kindly guide how much time should be alotted in solving such passages.

Further kindly guide how much time should be spent individualy to solve
1.Long passages with 4 questions each
2.Short passages with 4 questions each

Time management is being a problem with the rc's
Firstly dont understand how much time should be spent on each passage+ questions
accuracy is being an issue when i go fast.

Dear kk12,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, there is no "trick" to developing reading speed. You have to practice, practice, practice.

On the GMAT, you will have short passages (200-250 words) typically with 3 questions and long passages (300-350 words) typically with 4 questions. The OG vastly oversupplies the questions associated with each passage. The recommendation is 2.5 minutes to read a short passage, and 3.5 minutes to read a long passage, which leaves you about 60 sec for each question. Notice, those times are not super-fast: it is enough time to read once thoroughly and "map" out the content of the passage.
See these four blogs:
1) How to Study for GMAT RC
2) The Most Important RC Strategy
3) Strategies for the six RC question types
4) The "Secret Sauce" of RC Success

As I suggested, though, none of these strategies will be helpful if you do not practice. If you have any desire to achieve mastery in GMAT RC, you need to read every single day. You need to read hard sophisticated reading on academic topics. You need to read for at least a hour every single day without fail---that's a hour over and above any GMAT-related preparations you are doing. See this blog:
How to Improve Your Verbal Score

My friend, I know we have spoken before, and I know you have ambitious for a truly stellar GMAT performance. If you want a score that few people achieve, that will require work that few people are willing to do. I wish you the very best of luck!

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: rc guidance [#permalink]