Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32883 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Reapplying to PhD in Accounting with GRE (after GMAT) [#permalink]
Would GRE Math Subject Test help?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am also applying to accounting PhD programs this fall. I just took the GMAT today and received an identical score to yours. Cornell is the only top 10 school to which I'm applying though since I'm interested in behavioral research. Behavioral tends to be less math-centric than archival, but I'm wondering whether I should continue studying and retake the GMAT to try to improve my score. It's high enough for most of the programs to which I'm applying (i.e., over their average score).

Hopefully you've seen that the Accounting Doctoral Scholars program was renewed, in a different format? The due date is October 7th. (I only studied for the GMAT for a month because of the ADS deadline - I was planning to take it later this fall. I'm happy with how I did though.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, I saw the ADS program renewal, but I was disappointed that they cut funding. Before it was 30k extra per year, now it is 13.3k extra per year, if you graduate in three years.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
They didn't really cut the funding, since it's now incremental to what the schools are providing. From what I've heard from a current ADS scholar, most schools did not provide additional funding in the first four years of the ADS scholars' program until the ADS funding was no longer available (i.e., in the fifth year of the program, if the student did not graduate in four years). There were a few schools that allowed the ADS funding to be incremental to what they provided for research/teaching assistantships, but they were in the minority. Over the past few years, the schools filled in the funding gap that had been left by the ADS program. (From what I've heard, Rutgers is one of the only programs, if not the only program, that doesn't provide RA/TA funding to all of its students.) The ADS program is now milestone-based as well, so the scholars receive $15K at matriculation, $5K upon passing the comps, $5K when the dissertation topic is approved, and $15K upon graduation. The milestone format makes more sense to me, since it is focused on completion rather than providing a set amount each year regardless of progress in the program.

You mentioned completing in three years, which I've heard of some professors doing in the past when they were in their PhD programs, but the consensus now seems to be that five years is the ideal amount of time for an accounting PhD program, to allow students to publish more before entering the job market. A few professors have told me that finishing in four years is frowned upon in the job market.

Good luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, I heard of people receiving 35k from school plus 30k from ADS annually before. I got an invitation to apply from HBS based on my overall GMAT score, but my Math percentile is 68...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Which university did you get accepted to if I might ask?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
you may but only via private message and after identifying yourself
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4386 posts