Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [17]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Recently discovered prehistoric rock paintings on small [#permalink]
Kudos
According to me the answer should be C.

A - Not relevant to argument.
B - Out of scope.
C - This supports the argument made against the predominant theory.
D - irrelevant
E - not a supporting argument.

Please let us know the OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
How does "D" weaken the argument?

And "Weaken, EXCEPT" doesn't necessarily mean the answer should "Strengthen". The right answer could not affect the argument at all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 772
Send PM
Kudos
The answer is (C). Firstly note that in a weaken EXCEPT question, the correct answer either strengthens OR neither strengthens nor weakens the argument, i.e. it remains neutral. It is not necessarily true that the correct answer to a weaken EXCEPT question must strengthen. With this in mind, let us analyze and break down the argument:

P1: Cave paintings describe current diets of painters.
P2: Painters needed to eat sea animals populating waters north of Norway. This requires a long journey to and from the islands.
P3: However, no picture unambiguously depicts such creatures = some or many pictures depict such creatures(i.e. sea animals) ambiguously.
Conclusion: Therefore, the theory that cave paintings describe the diets of painters is false.

Assumption 1: Only food available are sea animals.
Assumption 2: The long journey to and from islands was so long that it would make it unfeasible for the hunters/painters to hunt sea animals.
Assumption 3: The paintings that were discovered is representative of all paintings found in the island, i.e. no painting was left undiscovered.

Now, on to the choices:
(A) Once on these islands, the cave painters hunted and ate land animals. This definitely weakens one of our assumptions.

(B) Parts of the cave paintings on the islands did not survive the centuries. This shows that the evidence provided might be limited or unrepresentative, and therefore weakens the
argument. Maybe they did paint sea animals, but those paintings have been lost.

(D) Those who did the cave paintings that were discovered on the islands had unusually advanced techniques of preserving meats. This weakens assumption 2, mentioned above.

(E) The cave paintings on the islands were done by the original inhabitants of the islands who ate the meat of land animals.
This directly weakens the premise that the paintings describe current diets.

Thus, by process of elimination, answer must be C. It is easier to prove why a choice weakens the argument rather than why a choice does not weaken an argument.

C) The cave paintings that were discovered on the islands depicted many land animals.

If you go by assumption 1, mentioned above, this choice is definitely a weakener and therefore could bait you into thinking that this is not the correct answer. However, unlike choice A, choice C says "depicted" land animals, not hunted and ate. They may not prefer land animals to sea animals because maybe they were more dangerous to hunt. They could have figured out a way to hunt sea animals and preserved it (choice D) so as to not make frequent long trips. For these reasons, Choice (C) can also strengthen the conclusion, i.e. that they did not eat land animals and therefore that paintings are not based on diet.

Thus choice (C) can either be a weakener or a strengthener. It has an uncertain bearing on the conclusion and is therefore the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Send PM
The first 3 people chose wrong answers.
The OA is C.

vinay.kaipra: You got the right answer, but your reasoning doesn't seem right to me. The question asks to find answers to weaken the argument "EXCEPT", which means the right answer does not weaken the argument and the other 4 answers should weaken the argument. For this reason, I think "irrelevant" and "out of scope" can't be the reasoning in this question. 4 of them should weaken the argument in some way.

I'm still trying to convince myself why C is the answer....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
A - Not relevant to argument. ---> I don't agree with this explanation for A.

A is actually a contender for C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Send PM
"A" weakens the argument because if the painters ate land animals, then the absence of pictures of sea animals shouldn’t be troubling.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM