Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3055 [0], given: 890

Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:04
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:52) correct 42% (00:52) wrong based on 206 sessions
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job,fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised
(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising
(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(E) and fatigue among shift workers was lowered while raising
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 4

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job,fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised not parallel
(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raisedthis leades to have reduced raised- nonsensical
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raisingcorrect
(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raisedsame as b
was lowered spoils the sentence

we have to parallel have reduced [sickness] [sleeping], and [fatigue] - parallel nouns while raising the efficiency. There C must be the correct answer
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 10:27
Expert's post
Concept tested: Parallelism, “items in a list”
Difficulty level: Hard
Illustration: When we provide a list of items using commas we must maintain the
following structure.
A, B, C and D.
This is a proper parallel structure concerning items in a list, and this structure
needs to be maintained in a clause. Another thing of importance in this sentence
is the contrast that is presented.
This sentence says that “shift work equations” has reduced some stuffs but raised some other stuff. So using “and” to connect this two
relationship affects the meaning of the sentence.
In A, parallel structure is brokenusing the sudden “have”, “and item in the list” construction is not maintained.
According to “item in the list” the construction could be “A has reduced X, Y and Z,but has raised P, Q and R.
So we definitely need “and” before “fatigue among shift
workers”
This concept eliminates A and B.
D uses redundant construction “reduced” + “lowered”, which could also act as a fatal double negative.
E breaks voice parallelism.
We can’t suddenly introduce a passive voice in a list construction where other items are in active voice.
C is the correct answer which maintains “item in thelist” and introduces the contrast using “while”.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 11:00
adineo wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised not parallel
(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raisedthis leades to have reduced raised- nonsensical
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raisingcorrect
(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raisedsame as b
was lowered spoils the sentence

we have to parallel have reduced [sickness] [sleeping], and [fatigue] - parallel nouns while raising the efficiency. There C must be the correct answer

Broken piece by piece by @adineo !!! Kudos

nothing more to add!!! except How GMAT tricks us by putting a modifier - "based on studies of the human sleep cycle" in between Subject and Verb and confusing us.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 12:12
How to ***** is A no parallel ? Seriously, answers like this are killing me.

Perfectly parallel
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 4

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Ivan91 wrote:
How to ***** is A no parallel ? Seriously, answers like this are killing me.

Perfectly parallel

Ok, let me try and break this down for you.

THE TRICK HERE : whenever you see a comma(,) before 'and' then it is a list in the form of x,y, and z and you have to make parallel all three x and y and z.

Thus we have to parallel have reduced [sickness] [sleeping], and [fatigue] - parallel nouns while raising the efficiency.

Therefore C must be the correct answer.

I really hope this helps you :)
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:44
Expert's post
following structure.
A, B, C and D.
This is a proper parallel structure concerning items in a list, and this structure
needs to be maintained in a clause. Another thing of importance in this sentence
This sentence says that “shift work equations” has reduced some stuffs but raised some other stuff. So using “and” to connect this two
In A, parallel structure is brokenusing the sudden “have”, “and item in the list” construction is not maintained.
According to “item in the list” the construction could be “A has reduced X, Y and Z,but has raised P, Q and R.
workers”
D uses redundant construction “reduced” + “lowered”, which could also act as a fatal double negative.
We can’t suddenly introduce a passive voice in a list construction where other items are in active voice.
C is the correct answer which maintains “item in thelist” and introduces the contrast using “while”.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 82

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 22:48
I chose B.. i thought raised should b parelel..

but after luking at all explanation i must say, C is the rite answer..

got lesson from this question dont be crazy to mark the answer, if u see the parrelel structure..one should know what does sentence want to convey !!

reduced and raise production can not be parelel, for raise it must another dependent word ,such as while to further procede the sentence.

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 23

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" based [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 07:10
sanjoo wrote:
I chose B.. i thought raised should b parelel..

but after luking at all explanation i must say, C is the rite answer..

got lesson from this question dont be crazy to mark the answer, if u see the parrelel structure..one should know what does sentence want to convey !!

reduced and raise production can not be parelel, for raise it must another dependent word ,such as while to further procede the sentence.

same happened with me.
learning lesson for me too...saved in error log
@souvik101990,@adineo:- good explanation guys

Thriving for CHANGE

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 14

Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations" [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 02:57
souvik101990 wrote:
following structure.
A, B, C and D.
workers”

Good question.
I chose C after deliberating for a good 1:25 mins. On the one hand I wasn't too happy with the participle "raising" used instead of the simple past "raised" in C but on the other hand I was sure that the items in list rule absolutely must be complied with and should take priority over everything else.

Please post more advanced level questions. Great work and thanks.
Re: Recently implemented "shift-work equations"   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2012, 02:57