Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
Re: recommendation input to recommender [#permalink]
HBSGrad wrote:
firsttimer2 wrote:
Can current students share their view of how much input should be provided to the recommenders? From various posting on the forum here, it seems as if providing even full content to rec writers is common (even amongst successful candidates to top programs).

My recommender, though very supportive of application, does not have good writing skills and he is asking me for a lot of input and content. I'd prefer that recommender write everything on his own (so I don't have extra writing besides essays) but that'd make for a poor rec letter.

Also, is writing and content of rec letter scrutinized for high quality as much as essays are?

It will reflect VERY poorly on your candidacy if your recommender doesn't use proper English grammar. Give him as much information as he needs to write a POLISHED recommendation. Yes, it will be more work for you, but you will surely regret it if you don't get accepted and there's a chance it was because of your recommendation.

HBS Admissions Consultant
hbs.consultant@gmail.com
https://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com

Really need input and data points from experienced people (preferably engineering/semiconductor industry)....

From my years of experience in semi industry, I feel that very few hitech engineering managers can write a good rec for b-schools on their own.

1) How many engineering applicants have seen or actually drafted at least part of the rec for recommender... Now c'mon guys be honest!
I know some who openly said they wrote the whole rec, and they're at top b schools.

2) All the major admin consulting companies say you should really get your recommenders almost the full text (from my first hand experience, can pm me if you want to know details). If a known admin consulting company is saying that then it's gotta be a lot widespread than people think.

3) I've heard various opinions (all different) about how long a rec letter should be (for schools that dont specify a limit like Wharton). For example, wharton this year has 5 questions. Do experienced people or wharton students think 1000 words total is long enough for most schools? A good writer can do a decent job in 1000 words, no?

4) US residents who have gone through this process during their college admissions may have a more realistic/practical view of the above. So such individuals who have a confident opinion due to their ug admission successes about the above, please share. Their viewpoint would help.

thank you.
firsttimer2
GMAT Club Bot
Re: recommendation input to recommender [#permalink]