Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 2: 730
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Recommendations... RAGE!!! [#permalink]
I agree that coming from an industry where getting an MBA is not the norm, it can be a touchy subject to get recommendations. I read this somewhere, but it’s worth saying again: you’re essentially saying “hey, I’m gonna quit if I get in, but I’m not getting’ in without your help. So, think you can write this for me?”

I think the complexity of the process makes it more difficult to get recommendations and have them submitted on time. That each school has to have specific questions takes up a lot of time and seems a bit pointless since they’re really all asking about very similar qualities and experiences. In talking to my recommenders, they ended up spending about three to four hours on the first recommendation and slightly less on the other three. This ends up being a full day of work, which is a lot to ask.

I would really prefer if schools could agree to do a common recommendation through the Apply Yourself site or something similar. The recommender could log in and answer four or five standard questions, then each school would have one specific question. It would save quite a bit of time on the recommender’s part and this would simplify the process by making it a one time submission.

However, I think there is some value schools place on your ability to get recommendations. Schools may look at this and say hey this person really made an impact on these people and they were willing to help him or her out with these recommendations. Just a thought.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: IT Strategy
Schools:Booth R2, Kellogg R2 (W/L - withdrawn)
 Q49  V47
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Big 4 IT Auditing
Send PM
wschaeff wrote:
smileyface wrote:
I am very sorry to hear. If I were you, I would even think about holding off a year to get recommenders sorted. It is a very dicey situation because recommendations are more important than even personal essays in my opinion and yet, most recommenders don't take writing recommendations seriously(my supervisor threw something together and submitted my recommendation 15 minutes before it was due) or even know how to write a good one. But, it sounds like your chosen recommenders don't like you or don't know you well enough to write one. You also have to try to make it easy for them e.g. point out overlaps in questions, send them the questions in word document in an email etc. I had a recommender that was like this last year but I ended up not applying last year and I am reapplying this year.

There is no way I'm waiting a year. I've worked WAY too hard to score well on the GMAT and write my essays. Plus I've spent more than $1000 in application fees! (edit: Also, I'm married and at a point in my career where NOW is the time. Waiting a year, plus the year to apply, then 2 years of school means we're not starting a family for 4 years! That's actually a pretty big deal.)

I hear some of what you are saying. But I took these people out to lunch and explained to them what was needed, strategized a bit, and did all of that stuff. I don't think it's that they don't like me, but as someone else said there is a significant time requirement for these. One person just told me she can't help now because she's taking classes to manage her stress. Back in Rd 1 I approached someone who couldn't commit to helping because they were too busy taking care of ill parents. If I wasn't so honest I would have written the letters myself and asked them to submit. I know for a fact many people do that.

Schools are very clear in asking for recommendations from supervisors. In my 5 years of working, how many supervisors have I had that know me well enough to write a good recommendation, would I be comfortable asking for a letter from (ie, still on good terms years later or wouldn't hold it against me that I'm leaving them), and have the time to commit?

I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation. let me know how it works out.

Originally posted by driege on 07 Jan 2011, 12:14.
Last edited by driege on 31 Jan 2011, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:All R2 - Booth(attending w/$), Kellogg(WL w/int then ding), CBS(ding w/int), Harvard(ding), NYU(admit), UCLA PT(admit), USC PT(admit)
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Yeah, I'm from an industry/company that doesn't have a lot of individuals pursuing an MBA and it's been a little frustrating too. At first my direct supervisor told me that she was not going to be able to write them at all. Since our company will not provide recommendations (positive or negative) for past or current employees for jobs outside the company, our Regional HR Manager told her that LORs for business school fall into that same category. Luckily we pushed back and she was able to write them. But recently she told me she wasn't able to include any of the data/numbers/sales figures I had sent her to back up my accomplishments in her letters because it's not public information. Seems a little crazy to me, hope the schools don't penalize me for that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I sympathise with you - I'm in a similar situation, where there is not a tradition of MBAs in my firm, and where an MBA would be viewed as a one-way ticket to leave the firm.

Fortunately in my role I change line managers every year or two, which means that whilst my current line manager is a "no go" for recommendations, I can get two or three old line managers with whom I have a good relationship to provide feedback.

The fact that your line manager went to HR to check if a LoR was OK worries me a little; my company has a similar policy, but based on the strength of the relationship with the recommenders that I asked, they wrote one anyway as a favour, without getting HR involved.

Have you considered going for 'historical' line managers? How about people involved in any extra-curricular / volunteering activities that you do?

I would also suggest that you might be being unrealistic with your number of applications. If you KNOW that recommendations will be a problem, is applying to six schools not a bit optimistic?

I know that if I had asked my recommenders to write six letters of recommendation they'd have told me to get stuffed. Maybe try considering applying to fewer schools? Yes, it's not fair that others get to apply to six whilst you don't, but I'd suggest that it's your best shot of at least getting some applications in. I've only applied to three places, and it's exactly because to apply to any more would be stretching the goodwill of the recommenders that I have.

Finally... as has been suggested by others, you could help by drafting a letter of recommendation / provide bullet point suggestions, based on:
- Written performance feedback that you've already received from these people
- Letters of recommendation that they've already produced for other schools

Don't be tempted to write the letters yourself, aside from it being ethically questionable, people have very different writing styles so it becomes very obvious to the adcom if you have written it yourself. Copying and pasting content from the above two sources keeps you honest, keeps the writing style different, and provides a good frame from which the recommender can complete the recommendation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Im having the same problem, but mine is for a Masters in Accounting. I got my undergrad in Accounting 3 years ago from a school with lots of associate professors. Now, all of the professors I knew are gone, and have not responded to my requests for recommendation. I can get two from my previous job, but most of the Accounting schools are looking for academic recommendations. <<<RAGE>>>
GMAT Club Bot