Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would not worry about it. The student most likely wrote a great rec about you and hopefully had the mind to include that he/she was doing this without you being aware of it. I think this most likely will reflect positively on you. I would not sweat it.
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I also think that she probably just submitted a free-form email or letter, and didn't use the reco format at all. And they probably just put it in the status section, just as a means of dottting the i's, keeping track of what's what in the applicant file.

Glad you guys think it's probably ok.

Any nay-sayers?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am not sure if it's too ok... I am still a bit skeptical..

My approach would be..

call the person who send in the rec.. thank her.. and ask her how did she manage to do it? and what she did..

Try to get more info from your recommender before calling Michael..
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 - I wouldn't follow that course. It is tricky - the person who sent this would never expect their name to pop up on aaudetat's webpage.

Contacting them might unsettle them and have that really awkward nature to it. Contacting the school in a "WTF?" way is OK I guess, but as you say the person probably said it was unprompted. Sadly the best course of action is to do nothing. Which is no help, is it?!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
3underscore wrote:
willget800 - I wouldn't follow that course. It is tricky - the person who sent this would never expect their name to pop up on aaudetat's webpage.

Contacting them might unsettle them and have that really awkward nature to it. Contacting the school in a "WTF?" way is OK I guess, but as you say the person probably said it was unprompted. Sadly the best course of action is to do nothing. Which is no help, is it?!

Seriously? I don't see anything wrong to call up to say thank you to the person who send in the recommendation.. and then while thanking.. get more info out...

Isnt that courtesey to thank them for receommendation? and leverage upon that call?

aaudeat - your call
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would defn contact her, and it doesn't have to be in a questioning sort of way. Something like, "hey I saw you wrote a recommendation for my app. Thanks!"

Hopefully, that will prompt her to talk about why she did it, etc, and you can ask her some follow up questions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My analysis is that this situation can only be good, coz:

1) The person is already at Cornell.
2) She / he took the time to write about you without you even asking.
3) This process (the "unofficial" rec) works great when you are being recommended by alumni or students who would not normally be your 1st or 2nd recommender. Most schools will add this extra recommendation / e-mail to your file and consider it together with the rest of the package when evaluating your app.

I had the chance to ask a Chicago adcom (during an info session) the following question:

lepium: "I have 3 potential recommenders: 2 know me best as they've been past and current bosses. The 3rd person is a GSB alumnus who has worked with me in some projects and knows me quite well, but has arguably a little less knowledge of me. Should I prioritize the alumnus vs. one of the other guys?"

GSBAdcom: "Well, most GSB alumni correspond with me on applicants, so I suggest you get the recos from the 2 former bosses and then the alumnus can write a note directly to me. Such note will then be added to your file".

I'd say depending on your relationship with the person you can choose to call or not to call him or her. I'd probably write a succint thank you note and see what he/she answers.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
the rec is already in the system... you can't do anything about it... so i say you just sit tight until you get your admit... it has to be a positive letter, who would go so far out of their way to ruin an applicant?
once you're admitted, send an email to the recommender saying you happen to notice she submitted a rec for you on the online system and that you got in...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I dont see anything wrong as long as she said good things about you. I know someone that had the same experience in HBS and got accepted. I am sure it would do more good than harm.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]