Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 04:40 It is currently 12 May 2024, 04:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Recommenders - How many schools is too many? [#permalink]
tigerbeck wrote:
There is no right answer to this question, it depends upon who you have chosen and their dedication to helping you on this journey. One of my recommenders nominated himself as the ideal person and did 8 for me and was willing to do more. The other had issues with the technology and started to grumble after 4 so I had a backup person who I had already pre-approved early in the process to pick up his slack. I would always advise priming a third person incase someone drops the ball. Don't forget to keep them up to date on your progress and enthusiasm so they stay as juiced as possible and happy about doing this.

Becky

Did the backup person take offense that he/she was the backup and not the main choice? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I had my recommenders each do 5 schools. I gave them like 3-4 months of advance notice and a really thorough recommendation info packet (school profiles, recommender questions, my goals, accomplishments, etc.) to make it as easy on them as possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Did the backup person take offense that he/she was the backup and not the main choice? :)

No, actually everyone was grateful to have a safety net if they were a let down and the "pinch-writer" was glad to feel as if he was helping without actually having to do too much. I don't think anyone would be offended if you explain it to them. I doubt anyone would take it personal if you express that you have top choices like current bosses and key clients that are your A players and if they can't deliver then you ask B players like past bosses,EC beneficiaries or peers.

Becky
GMAT Club Bot