Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Reschedule GMAT? (last PT 660, need 700) [#permalink]
You can decide whether to cancel after you take the test anyway, so there is no point in canceling now.

Ideally of course, you should score 700 right away so you won't have to touch the test again. A week is not a lot, but it is sufficient to make some small changes that may dramatically affect your test day performance. You're very close to your target score. A 50 score improvement is definitely within reach if you have the right strategies. Best of luck!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64924 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Reschedule GMAT? (last PT 660, need 700) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bschooldreams wrote:
Hi everyone,

My GMAT is currently scheduled a week from today and I am trying to determine if I should reschedule it. My goal is a 700. Here are my last few practice test scores:

-680 (42Q/40V) MGMAT
-640 (37Q/40 V) GMATPrep
-660 (41Q/40V) GMATPrep

A few other factors I am considering in this decision:
- I've already taken the test twice officially (once completely cold because I needed the score for admission to an organization, and another time where I cancelled the score because I scored 640)
- I've been studying for this test for quite awhile, and worry that if I keep pushing it back I'll burn out
- I am not sure how AOs view people who take the test more than 3 times.

I am aware that rescheduling at this time would cost $250. would appreciate any guidance/advice anyone has to offer!

Some people peak in the actual test conditions and some people crumble - so your actual score can be anywhere in between the 600 - 700 range. To be honest, I wouldn't be very hopeful of a 700+ score with these practice scores, but, as I said, some people peak in actual test conditions. If you are one of those, you might just make the 700 cut.

So what would I suggest you to do? - If finances are not tight, take the test and cancel the score if you get less than your target score. The score report will not reflect cancelled scores but you will get a great practice run (albeit an expensive one!)
If finances are tight, decide according to this - do you perform very well under pressure? If yes, it might be worth a shot to take the test.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Reschedule GMAT? (last PT 660, need 700) [#permalink]
bschooldreams wrote:
Hi everyone,

My GMAT is currently scheduled a week from today and I am trying to determine if I should reschedule it. My goal is a 700. Here are my last few practice test scores:

-680 (42Q/40V) MGMAT
-640 (37Q/40 V) GMATPrep
-660 (41Q/40V) GMATPrep

A few other factors I am considering in this decision:
- I've already taken the test twice officially (once completely cold because I needed the score for admission to an organization, and another time where I cancelled the score because I scored 640)
- I've been studying for this test for quite awhile, and worry that if I keep pushing it back I'll burn out
- I am not sure how AOs view people who take the test more than 3 times.

I am aware that rescheduling at this time would cost $250. would appreciate any guidance/advice anyone has to offer!

Since the duration is not enough to postpone I advice you to just go ahead.
Your verbal score is pretty good so just maintain it in the same way while focusing a bit more on quant.
You scored 42 in Mgmat tests which shows that you have good fundamentals but make some repeating mistakes possibly out of stress.
Relax and give it a go.
I believe you will rock the GMAT. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks, all! This was great advice. I went ahead and took the test today and scored 660. So right on the mark with my most recent practice test. I sometimes struggle with test anxiety and had a rough time at the beginning of the quant section today.

To answer the questions asked:

1) How did you score on each of your 2 Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
- 1st test (this is the cold one I mentioned in my post): 610 [36Q 37V]
- 2nd test: 640 [38Q 39V]
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
- I am planning to apply to some schools this September (Round 1) and some in January (Round 2) for 2017 matriculation
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
- On my list right now: MIT, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas, Harvard, McCombs

I am determining whether or not it is worth my time to re-take the test. I know that my issues are a combination of needing to firm up my quant fundamentals and manage my test anxiety, but I am not sure if I can see a 40 pt increase within a month. However, I know it is possible for me [skill wise] to score a 42-44 quant now, as I have done it on multiple practice tests. Any general advice?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bschooldreams,

First off, a 660 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into Business School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. If you scored in the low Q40s though, that score might cause you some 'problems' when applying to certain Programs. You've named some highly competitive Schools, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

Your score results are fairly consistent, placing your current ability right around the mid-600s. You have a great opportunity to pick up points in the Quant section, but that's likely not going to happen if you continue to study in they way that you have been. To pick up those 40+ points that you're looking for, you'll need to learn to 'see' (and respond to) the Quant section in a different way. You likely already know most of the 'math' that you need to know, but you're making little mistakes in your work and missing out on lots of 'strategy-based' points. If you do decide to retest, then there are some resources that I would recommend.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
bschooldreams wrote:
Thanks, all! This was great advice. I went ahead and took the test today and scored 660. So right on the mark with my most recent practice test. I sometimes struggle with test anxiety and had a rough time at the beginning of the quant section today.

To answer the questions asked:

1) How did you score on each of your 2 Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
- 1st test (this is the cold one I mentioned in my post): 610 [36Q 37V]
- 2nd test: 640 [38Q 39V]
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
- I am planning to apply to some schools this September (Round 1) and some in January (Round 2) for 2017 matriculation
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
- On my list right now: MIT, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas, Harvard, McCombs

I am determining whether or not it is worth my time to re-take the test. I know that my issues are a combination of needing to firm up my quant fundamentals and manage my test anxiety, but I am not sure if I can see a 40 pt increase within a month. However, I know it is possible for me [skill wise] to score a 42-44 quant now, as I have done it on multiple practice tests. Any general advice?

Do you have the ESR from your attempt? If not, I would recommend that you get it; it's probably the best thing your money can buy. If you are contemplating whether to re-take the test, an ESR will help us give you specific advice.
GMAT Club Bot