Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 0

Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 02:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolism generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A: Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
B: The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
C: The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
D: Reseachers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
E: Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1080

Kudos [?]: 4847 [0], given: 163

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 19:25
Expert's post
ajit257 wrote:
thanks Amit ...I realized my mistake that i am overlooking the fact that assumtion is closely tied to conclusion ...awesome explanation.

Amit has pretty much covered all the ground. Let me just add here that an assumption is a missing premise that is necessary for the conclusion to be true. The assumption has to be true for the conclusion to be true. Hence if you are lost between 2-3 choices, negate each choice. Once you negate an option, if your conclusion can still be true, it means the option is not an assumption. It is a very useful trick.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 01:27
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates,
lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolisms generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn
significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such
newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic
rate.
The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume
substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
(B) The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of
people who have been very overweight.
(C) The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is
consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
(D) Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be
accelerated by means of chemical agents.
(E) Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much
difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

I found this question in another topic, but the explanation is still unclear to me. So, I want to make new thread to open more discussion on this problem. OA later.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 01:54
IMO C...but confused bet A,c n B......
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 02:52
I went with A. By the statements, if one loses weight and he does not continue to be on the diet then he ll gain weight. Meaning people who are already on that weight size will consume more than he does
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 11:21
+1A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 13:53
"therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic
rate."

I was assuming this is the conclusion. And so I chose E because it states that people will usually stay at the weight even when people try to gain weight.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2011, 03:12
tuanquang269 wrote:
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates,
lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolisms generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn
significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such
newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic
rate.
(A) Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume
substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
(B) The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of
people who have been very overweight.
(C) The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is
consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
(D) Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be
accelerated by means of chemical agents.
(E) Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much
difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

I found this question in another topic, but the explanation is still unclear to me. So, I want to make new thread to open more discussion on this problem. OA later.

Negating option E: Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally don't have as much
difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.This weakens the conclusion and is the correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 01:56
+1 for E, if correct then will explain.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 05:04
Please post the OA with explanation....thanks..

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 21:12
A..A newly thin person will regain the same weight(what was before dieting) if that person takes more calories as compared to what is suitable to his new weight.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 03:04
+1 E

Conclusion is new thin person will get back weight as there metabolism rate has not changed and they will burn less calorie

A ) has nothing to do with the conclusion
B ) has nothing to do with the conclusion
C ) possible as it talks abt your metabolic being static and will burn less calorie
D ) out of scope
E ) it talks about problem of static metabolism reaction.
But C assume that you will eat more then you can burn, but why will you do that when you are on diet
So its E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 04:46
IMO C , A is incorrect as it has mentioned "very few" where in the passage it has no where mentioned. E we can not assume on the basis of above passage and not logically correct to fit enough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 11:42
I think it is A but I am waiting for the OA & OE.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-15-2011

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 17:58
A clearly
Manager
Manager

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:53
E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 06:04
For some reasons, i find this question is hard and confusing (mostly because of the vocab). I was able to make the right choice but mostly through POE rather than logical thinking. Wonder if anyone think the same?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 11:07
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolisms generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate.
(A) Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
(B) The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
(C) The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
(D) Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
(E) Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 11:26
(A) Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level. Tell us that Formerly overweight people will consume more calories and burn less due to lower metabolic rate. As a result they will again gain weight.
(B) The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight. Argument is not concerned with this category. So B is out of Scope
(C) The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual. Out of scope
(D) Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents. Tricky choice but it has no bearing on the argument. If this option tells that artificially metabolism rate can not be accelerated, then it would have been a possible answer choice.
(E) Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it. Out of scope. We are not concerned abt this group.

Answer: A

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 08:24
Researchers have found that when very overweight people, who tend to have relatively low metabolic rates, lose weight primarily through dieting, their metabolisms generally remain unchanged. They will thus burn significantly fewer calories at the new weight than do people whose weight is normally at that level. Such newly thin persons will, therefore, ultimately regain weight until their body size again matches their metabolic rate.
(A) Relatively few very overweight people who have dieted down to a new weight tend to continue to consume substantially fewer calories than do people whose normal weight is at that level.
(B) The metabolisms of people who are usually not overweight are much more able to vary than the metabolisms of people who have been very overweight.
(C) The amount of calories that a person usually burns in a day is determined more by the amount that is consumed that day than by the current weight of the individual.
(D) Researchers have not yet determined whether the metabolic rates of formerly very overweight individuals can be accelerated by means of chemical agents.
(E) Because of the constancy of their metabolic rates, people who are at their usual weight normally have as much difficulty gaining weight as they do losing it.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 10:01
Meaning of the passage : very overweight people loose weight via dieting -> metabolism rate remains same -> new weight, old metabolism -> can't burn what they eat -> Finally go to their old weight

Assumption here is, even after reducing weight, they continue to consume as much calories as they used to. Option A states this assumption, and hence is right.
Re: Researchers have found that when very overweight people   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2012, 10:01