Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Restart GMAT Prep - Pls Help [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi jyotimo,

Since that two weeks off in August will come so 'late' in the process, it might be disruptive to your study routine. You should consider taking your GMAT before that point in August (if possible). Given your score goal, you'll likely need to improve BOTH your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores, but you have plenty of time until August/September, which is good.

1) How does your Official Score compare to your prior practice CAT scores?

Since it's been over a month since your Official GMAT, it would be a good idea to take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) so that we can get a sense of your current skills.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

I am planning to send in my application on Nov 30th. So, ideally I would like to give my GMAT by 15th or so Sept.
I will be taking the two weeks off from 29th July to 12th August. Hence, I dont think it would be possible for me to give it before August.

My CAT scores ranged from 610-660 always. What should my CAT score be to hit my goal score?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jyotimo,

Accounting for that time off, you could still take the GMAT in mid-to-late July. That would give you 1.5 to 2 months of study time - raising a 600 to a 710+ in that timeframe is doable, assuming you're consistent with your studies and working with the proper materials. You also have the added benefit of having taken the Official GMAT, so you know all of the various facets of Test Day.

Are you planning to stick with your prior study routine?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Yes, once I start studying I would be following the same routine. However, I am not sure how to start studying again and what are the materials I should be covering?

Can you help pls?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Sounds like you have not understood the fundamentals of the exam materials. If I were you, I would re-do the questions in the Official Guide, but this time without timing myself, to see what my strengths and weaknesses are and how I can improve accuracy. Do not time yourself again until your accuracy improves to the level you need for the test.

This is one of the situations where a GMAT tutor can really help. Is there a good one in your area?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V36
GPA: 2.7
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
Restart GMAT Prep - Pls Help [#permalink]
A point noone has raised so far is the fact that your quant score is quite good - Verbal is your weakness. I think it is perfectly possible to score 700+ with existing quant scores, so you should focus on Verbal. Don't just look for any "good" resources, but rather the ones valued for their verbal section. In fact, I'd say they are in greater supply because demand for verbal resources is higher. For instance, the verbal section of this forum has twice as many posts and replies as the quant section.

Other than that, I think you should develop an habit of reading... starting now.

Edit: just realised that what I've just said contradicts Rich's advice. Just wanted to explain that I scored 710+ on mocks with a 43 on quant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jyotimo,

The specific advice that I will offer you will depend a great deal on how you score on this next CAT, so you should take that first and we'll use that result to assess your strengths/weaknesses and talk through your study options.

To SamirAbrahao's point - there are a variety of different Quant and Verbal Scaled Score 'combinations' that can get you to a 710+, so there's some 'wiggle-room' in terms of how high you would have to perform in either section individually. However, if you have the capacity to pick up a few relatively 'easy' points in one section, then that would make the whole process easier (and you wouldn't have to perform at such a high level in the other section).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
600 is a good score indeed. However, scoring around 700 will improve your chances. Students with a GMAT score of 600 got selected by top business schools in U.S.

Even a GMAT score of 600 can get you a seat in top business schools if you get the following things right-

Maintain a strong community profile
Write compelling application essays
Submit an authentic letter of recommendation
Write an optional essay (career gaps, low GPA, GMAT score etc)
Submit a 1-page resume
Perform brilliantly during the business school interview.

Want to learn more about the MBA admission strategies, you can visit collmissionstats [dot]com

However, if you want to prepare again. Take a look at the following steps-

How?

Go online. Try the 60-day GMAT Study Guide by BeatTheGmat, or search the Internet for other online resources. You are bound to get a plan that works for you.

Now, pay the minimum for study material required by you:

The Official Guide for GMAT Review - $20
‘Real’ GMAT exams for practicing: $20 - $40
Reinforcement books for Verbal section (1 or 2): $20 - $40

So, as you can see, you have just about touched $100. And if you feel the need for it, get the My GMAT Flashcards – ‘GMAT Math Flashcards: All Math tips and formulas you need for GMAT!’ – for all of $5. You might overshoot your budget by a bit, but it will help you tackle the Math section easily. The Flashcards are good fun – in just 20 slides, all the tips in the Quantitative Math section are covered. You will be able to memorize the GMAT Math formulae in a simple and quick manner. The cards also come with blank spaces for notes, so remember to write down the tips, exceptions and hints that you encounter. Your accidental discoveries could make a big difference for you.

And you will find all of these online (read: Amazon), and often in the ‘used books’ category. Generally, the condition of the books is good and you end up saving a packet.

Starting Your Preparation – What You Need?

Preparing for GMAT, like getting ready for any major exam, needs two things: Planning and practice. Planning involves setting aside a date to start your work. And practice entails working on your plan diligently, without excuses or procrastination.

Materials Required for Preparation

First, let us look at the material you will require to start.

For the moment, you only need The Official Guide for GMAT Review; the others could be sourced on a need-basis only. This book is a must have for you to practice Quantitative Math, though you may practice the other sections as well. Make sure you do as many exercise as you can, since practice makes you perfect.

A useful addition is the Kaplan New GMAT Premier with 5 Online Practice Tests – it has tons of exercises in Quantitative Math. And using the attached CD, you can do the practice tests.

For Verbal theory, the Manhattan Sentence Correction GMAT Strategy Guide is ideal. The Manhattan Critical Reasoning GMAT Strategy Guide could also come in handy. And if you think you will need help with Integrated Reasoning and Reading Comprehension, you may get the relevant books on these subjects. When buying, try to do a mix-and-match between books from Manhattan, Kaplan and McGraw-Hill – and not buy all from any one banner. This adds variety, as well as a different perspective, and ensures that you are not stuck with any one style and approach to the exam.
GMAT Club Bot