Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Re: Retake? [#permalink]
All the adcoms say they take the highest score. Also, read of folks who scored lower second time around, and were fine.

Besides, it's only one factor in your application. If the rest of the application is not so strong, the score may be the final straw.

You might want to post which school you're applying to, and how you feel about the rest of your application. People will be able to give you more specific recommendations on whether it's worth the retake.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Retaking Strategy! [#permalink]
You might also want to consider the total number of takes. It is usually meaningless, unless you have taken the GMAT 5,6,7 times, but it might, just might, count for the uber-elite admission processes.

It really depends on how bad you need a higher score and how hard your goal program is to get into.
A 720 nailed on the third attempt after a 600 and a 640 COULD be valued less than a first attempt 720 and labeled as a lucky day instead of a positive progression.
At least this is what I gathered from the retake thread, being in a similar situation.

should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Check that one out if you can, and good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
highdiving wrote:
A 720 nailed on the third attempt after a 600 and a 640 COULD be valued less than a first attempt 720 and labeled as a lucky day instead of a positive progression.

Maybe..but thats highly improbable.
From what I have read, adcoms will only consider the highest score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Transportation)
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
highdiving wrote:

Maybe..but thats highly improbable.
From what I have read, adcoms will only consider the highest score.

Yes, absolutely! The number of retakes is usually meaningless and only the highest score of the last five years will be considered.

Three times retake it's not even noticed 99% of the times; unless you find yourself in a tie position or another very delicate situation. It's usually good to weight in even the worst case scenarios.

Other than that just do what you have to do to reach your goal score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Your question whether to retake or not depends on your target schools. If you are not a super star, you should atleast have average GMAT score of your target school.

Schools generally take the highest score unless you have many attempts. If you are confident about increasing your score, then you should retake it. If you get 700 in your next attempt, I don't think any school will be worried about your first score of 600. Good luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Get Ready For the Interview
MBA | Finance | Consulting | General Mgmt

gmatmember85 wrote:
Hi,

I scored a 640 on retake (q47, v32).. 600 on my first attempt.. I'm planning to apply in round 1. gpa:3.6

Do you think I should retake again (probably around first week of aug)

My main question is whether adcoms might take the HIGHEST gmat score with less confidence if I score below 640 in the retake?? or do they completely IGNORE the lower scores even if it's my second retake?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts