Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Retaking the GMAT -- experiences? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think it is a win even if you get a lower score - you can show that you are committed to improving and even though you have received a good score originally, you were still trying to get the score you thought you deserve. Whether you got it or not, is a different story; in this story, commitment and perseverance count.

As to the prep, you have a tough one since you have just 2 weeks and need to really hone on the special sections and your weak areas.
If you know your weaknesses, then you are already half way there. If not, split the weeks in three - first 5 days are math, second 5 days are verbal, and the last 5 days for test taking - take 1 a day and spend ample time to review your mistakes. Print each one of the wrong questions out on a separate sheet and build a binder. However, don't waste your first ten days to take and re-take tests. You need to cover a lot of ground and build a solid foundation in your weak areas. Test taking strategies should be avoided until the last 5 days unless you feel that that's your major weakness area. If that is indeed so (you have horrible timing, or panic, or else), then do spend the whole time taking interactive tests. Otherwise, just get a Kaplan Math & Verbal book, or Kaplan 800 and study. For tests, you can take any of the cats. We have some too at GMAT Club, but they are not adaptive, though probably the hardest out there.

If you have not already scheduled your test appointment, one interesting thought is to schedule it on a Sunday or Sat in a different city and drive in the day before, stay at a hotel and be completely isolated from your usual world. This will allow you to fully dedicate your last day before the test to relaxation and review. This may not work for everyone, but if you really want to squeeze every point out of GMAT, this could be a booster.

What do you think? Anyone else has suggestions?
And do let us know what you decide to do and ultimately how it works out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks alot for your help. i have already scheduled the exam at the same location. i will probably take a GMATPrep exam this weekend and see what i need to work on. i know 2 weeks is not alot of time, but i think i still have the math stuck in my head from a month ago; and I am primarily trying to improve my verbal and AWA (I got a 5.0 last time--I hope to get a 5.5 or 6.0).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
I second bb. Take a GMATprep test, figure out what your weaknesses are, and go after them. Two weeks is not a lot of time, it's true, but with some dedication, I bet you could up your score at least a bit. Sometimes just having taken the test once already is a big help, because you aren't coming into a wholly unfamiliar situation.

I actually took a math class in between my tests - precalculus - so maybe my situation is not applicable, but I raised my score 60 points overall, and brought my quant from 40 to 46. But there are others on this site who have made similar leaps in brief amounts of time. Just keep plugging away.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
finance423 wrote:
thanks alot for your help. i have already scheduled the exam at the same location. i will probably take a GMATPrep exam this weekend and see what i need to work on. i know 2 weeks is not alot of time, but i think i still have the math stuck in my head from a month ago; and I am primarily trying to improve my verbal and AWA (I got a 5.0 last time--I hope to get a 5.5 or 6.0).

I would not bother much with AWA, not more than a couple hours - just learn the templates. that's it. Spend most time mastering reading. If your SC is weak, spend time there too - that's the easiest fix - just get the grammar down.

P.S.
I have heard several times that the main reason for AWA essays is to compare your writing style in AWA essays to your writing style in your admissions essays... but that may not be true for every school - only the paranoid ones.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
finance423 wrote:

I would not bother much with AWA, not more than a couple hours - just learn the templates. that's it. Spend most time mastering reading. If your SC is weak, spend time there too - that's the easiest fix - just get the grammar down.

P.S.
I have heard several times that the main reason for AWA essays is to compare your writing style in AWA essays to your writing style in your admissions essays... but that may not be true for every school - only the paranoid ones.

I fully agree, don't bother with practicing for the essays. I don't think the essays are important at all, I wrote a bunch of drivels. I got a score of 5 without spending anytime on it, I did not even attempt to write a practice essay once.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does your target school publish GMAT statistics such as mid-80, average and median?
Where is your score lies in the mid-80 range?

How competitive is your program? Have you assessed how competitive your score relative to the statistics? If you are already in the high-end of the mid-80 then there may be no need to sweat.

There are many re-takers in this forum (myself included). The general tactic is to relentlessly discover your weak sections and improve them.

From my application experience, don't take the "kind words" of adcoms so much. Note that adcoms will always say "welcome" during recruiting and information sessions. Their goals is to get as much applications as possible. The story is usually different during the elimination process.

I suggest to read through the postings in this forum on "what if" you are getting a similar score or even a lower-score. People have asked such questions before. It is obvious that an up-trend will show your improvements and commitments. However, a down- or level-trend can cast doubts on an applicant, it will then up to adcom's interpretation.

Let me apologize that this post may sound negative or discouraging. I just want to better understand your standing and point out the what-ifs. 700+ is definitely reacheable with diligent preparation and careful planning.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
the program to which i am applying is highly competitive, with an average GMAT score of 690. however, they emphasize the math score more than the verbal. my original 48 quant (85th percentile) is probably higher than the average. however, my verbal is probably below avg. the adcom happens to be a friend of a friend, and she has been very honest with me about admissions. she said it was up to me if i wanted to retake. i think a 700 would not differentiate my application much, but a 740+ probably would. my GPA is slightly below their average but work experience and letters of rec should be at the top of the applicants to the program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Understood - Give your best and Go for it!

All the best.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts