Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ruined my first attempt - just 440

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ruined my first attempt - just 440 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 07:35
Hi everyone, and Salam Aleikum Rahmatullah to muslims, my name is Ali and I am form Ukraine, the main reason why I am here - like all of the present forum members, need a help to improve my GMAT skills.

First of all, I would like to introduce myself - i am 28 and former bank worker of Corporate Banking and LC Dept., now trying to maintain my own business in Kiev. I with my wife have decided to try to obtain MBA in USA, i have already Master's dual degree in International Economic Relations and Interpreter of Spanish Language (Podemos hablar tambien en espanol, si lo deseen, pero he olvidado casi todo :-) ))

My MBA jorney began 4 month ago, when I took TOEFL exam, I gor middle score of 77 (out of 120) with scores in sections - 22 reading, 20 speaking, 23 writing and.... 12 listening. As you have noticed, in general my english is not so great according score, but this is just lack of practice during recent years and weak listening section. Then I decided to join GMAT preparation course in Kiev, my pre-test result were awfull, all my home assignments took all my free time, this something new for me, SC, DS, CR questions, I have never meet them in any my university test and in real life)

When I finished courses (1,5 month), I made an appointment to real exam. And that was my first mistake, because I now understand how I overestimated myself and underestimated real exam. My first GMATprep test was just month ago, and I got 430... The second try was yesterday, one before my actual exam and I got 460...

My real exam result: 440 (Q50, V04).

My preparation consisted in Handbooks from my courses and OG 13. I solved everything in my Handbooks, and bigger part of OG. Quantative section - I solve 80-85% problems correct, Verbal - 50-65% of entire tasks. But at real exam I was surprised, Verbal section was created by somebody from the HELL. I was not nervious, I slept good, but after all, I have two ways to make conclusion : or I am not capable to take verbal section soon in my life due to the lack of my English, or I have look from another point my preparation...

In any case, I would be gratefull for your help, for your reply or for any of your thoughts, because I sold my business 3 month ago to have more time for my GMAT, and now have to decide - continiue my preparation being free, or to prolong my Sleazy Spammer and look for employment
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Ruined my first attempt - just 440 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 08:37
Well your Quant score is excellent, so all you need is to bring the verbal up to par.

I would suggest purchasing the Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides. Spend a good couple of months at least on that material, and of course read lots and lots and lots of English newspapers and magazines, preferably things like the Economist and NYT, which are very well written publications.

It is not too hard to improve in the Verbal, and if you do, you're looking at an excellent score.
Intern
Intern

Re: Ruined my first attempt - just 440 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 14:11
saidba wrote:
Well your Quant score is excellent, so all you need is to bring the verbal up to par.

I would suggest purchasing the Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides. Spend a good couple of months at least on that material, and of course read lots and lots and lots of English newspapers and magazines, preferably things like the Economist and NYT, which are very well written publications.

It is not too hard to improve in the Verbal, and if you do, you're looking at an excellent score.

Thank you saidba for your reply, actually there A LOT of books dedicated to Verbal Section, you suggest me to take practice with all of them, or just special books? I mean Manhattan guide offers dozen of the books, which one would be the best way?
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Re: Ruined my first attempt - just 440 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 14:23
Ali1985 wrote:
saidba wrote:

Thank you saidba for your reply, actually there A LOT of books dedicated to Verbal Section, you suggest me to take practice with all of them, or just special books? I mean Manhattan guide offers dozen of the books, which one would be the best way?

What score are you trying to target?

If you just need a few more points, you may be able to slide by with cramming on your sentence correction and getting some points there. If you're looking for a huge leap then I would strongly suggest going through all of the most recent MGMAT verbal books as your consistently low verbal scores seem to indicate a general weakness in verbal.

As has been said, congrats on your Quant skills though. Being able to laser focus on just one part of the test should help you immensely in your studies.

-RM
Intern
Intern

Re: Ruined my first attempt - just 440 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 16:07
rexman wrote:
Ali1985 wrote:
saidba wrote:

What score are you trying to target?

If you just need a few more points, you may be able to slide by with cramming on your sentence correction and getting some points there. If you're looking for a huge leap then I would strongly suggest going through all of the most recent MGMAT verbal books as your consistently low verbal scores seem to indicate a general weakness in verbal.

As has been said, congrats on your Quant skills though. Being able to laser focus on just one part of the test should help you immensely in your studies.

-RM

My target is 550+ or even 600+. Honestly, I would not say that I am an idiot incapable to reach 700 some day, but I am not looking for Stanford or Harvard (May be it will take me one or two yaers of hard work), I will be satisfied with well-known accredited local business school, my main target is to obtain a new experience and knoweledge through MBA.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 95

Re: Ruined my first attempt - just 440 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 21:21
Hello Ali,

Well the great news is that you have a Q score many people would give their right arm for.

I assume that you don't have your AWA score yet. If it turns out that you need to increase this score, read this post by chineseburned. It's probably the best AWA guide on GMAT Club. how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Per a post by VeritasPrepKarishma, it seems like the verbal section has more RC questions. possible-reasons-for-unexpected-verbal-scores-156586.html

Thursdays with Ron Videos (both Q and V videos) are supposed to be very good. Watch the V videos. http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

As another member said read as much difficult English material as you can. Use a dictionary to look up unfamiliar words.

Memorize common GMAT idioms.

Brush up on your English basics before tackling GMAT specific questions.

Good luck, I have no doubt you can increase your V score.

I do not beg for kudos.

Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE: General Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Ruined my first attempt - just 440 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 04:35
Ali1985 wrote:
saidba wrote:

I would get the Manhattan GMAT Books titled:
Critical Reasoning
Reading Comprehension
Sentence Correction (the most important of the three in my opinion)

Or you can purchase the Fifth Ed. - Verbal Prep Set from Manhattan GMAT, which includes the above, as well as the Verbal Official Guide from the makers of the test.
Re: Ruined my first attempt - just 440   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2013, 04:35