Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619171 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619171 [3]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1992 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing t [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them.

(A) by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them

(B) by testing it quickly for a variety of illness and distributing it before expiration

(C) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and distributing it before it expires

(D) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and by, before they expire, distributing them

(E) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and to distribute it before it expires

Answer B - maintains correct parallelism - testing and distributing
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing t [#permalink]
Kudos
souvonik2k wrote:

But expiration of what exactly : blood bank/ hospital/ donated blood ?
I just found it redundant.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1992 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
sudarshan22 wrote:
souvonik2k wrote:

But expiration of what exactly : blood bank/ hospital/ donated blood ?
I just found it redundant.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

'expiration' sounds bad, but i think expiration refers to it i.e. donation and pronoun error is not a deal breaker in Gmat.
But i may be wrong. Let's wait for some expert comments.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing t [#permalink]
I think B is correct because there is a 'and' so testing has to be parallel with distributing.In option C there is a word quickly which is a modifier of testing.So I dont think quickly testing and distributing are parallel.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Srija221 wrote:
I think B is correct because there is a 'and' so testing has to be parallel with distributing.In option C there is a word quickly which is a modifier of testing.So I dont think quickly testing and distributing are parallel.

Posted from my mobile device

Expiration = Noun
Expire = Verb

Here we require a Verb thus "Expire" is needed, hope this helps !!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:
Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them.

(A) by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them

(B) by testing it quickly for a variety of illness and distributing it before expiration

(C) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and distributing it before it expires

(D) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and by, before they expire, distributing them

(E) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and to distribute it before it expires

This question is based on Pronouns and Parallelism.

Option A contains two ambiguous pronouns – them and they. These pronouns do not have a logical antecedent because plural pronouns cannot refer to the singular antecedent ‘a donation’. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B corrects the pronoun reference error committed in Option A. However, the adverb ‘quickly’ is misplaced. It should modify the participle ‘testing’ and so should be placed before it to avoid confusion. Furthermore, the phrase ‘before expiration’ is awkward and lacks clarity. So, Option B can be eliminated.

Option D is wordy. The phrase “by, before they expire’ is nonsensical. The preposition ‘by’ can precede a noun to convey a time by which an action should take place but it cannot precede a clause to convey the same meaning. So, Option D can be eliminated.

The sentence states that blood banks can make a donation useful by doing two things – testing and distributing. So, these two actions must be parallel in form. Option E lacks this parallelism, so it can be eliminated.

Option C maintains parallelism. This option also contains the appropriate pronoun reference. The singular pronoun ‘it’ can be used to refer to the singular antecedent ‘a donation’. Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Rotman School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing [#permalink]
Kudos

Subject is "a donation", singular. Incorrectly using pronoun "them". Eliminated.

(B) by testing it quickly for a variety of illness and distributing it before expiration.

Using "it quickly" after the verb breaks the parallelism. If it does not break, it makes it less attractive a choice and can be kep alive with a heavy heart only to be eliminated after comparing with option C. Eliminated.

Singular pronoun used. Perfectly parallel. Correct.

Subject is "a donation", singular. Incorrectly using pronoun "them". Eliminated.

By testing ....... and to distribute. Not parallel. Eliminated.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is (C). It took me 01:34.

(A) No appropriate antecedent exists for "them / they" in "testing them" and "before they expire".
(B) Illness, as used to mean "a disease", is countable. “ a variety of illness” should be " a variety of illnesses".
(D) No appropriate antecedent exists for “they" in "before they expire".
(E) No parallelism between "by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses" and "to distribute it before it expires".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
Schools: LBS MAM "23
GPA: 3.01
WE:Design (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
imo C

both the 'it' refers to a donation .

Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1613 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Kudos

(A) by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them Incorrect

pronoun error - a donation singular, them plural

(B) by testing it quickly for a variety of illness and distributing it before expiration Incorrect

quickly for a variety of illness and expiration - both changes meaning and sound awkward

(C) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and distributing it before it expires Correct

(D) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and by, before they expire, distributing them Incorrect

same as A

(E) by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and to distribute it before it expires Incorrect

parallelism error - ........by quickly testing ...........and to distribute............
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
Kudos

'them' has no antecedent

'variety of illness' should be 'variety of illnesses'
'expiration' should be 'expiry'

Correct

them has no antecedent

'testing' and 'to distribute' are not parallel.

Choice C is the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts