Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC idioms

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

SC idioms [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 09:27
Hi Everyone

As per the GMAC, SC answer choices wont be made correct or incorrect just on the basis of idioms. My question is should i completely ignore idioms or should i spend some time on them? Need some insights in this regard.

Regards

arron
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 5

Re: SC idioms [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 19:08
Expert's post
That depends on how comfortable you feel with English. The GMAT may still test you on very common idioms ( "as much as" ... not "as much than" ) so if you have a decent handle of English you should be fine on the GMAT. If you don't feel confident with English, you should get a list of idioms (we have a list in our Strategy Guide) and focus on understanding the meaning because what might have been termed an incorrect idiom before would probably now be termed improper meaning.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: SC idioms [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 04:36
zeeasl wrote:
Hi Everyone

As per the GMAC, SC answer choices wont be made correct or incorrect just on the basis of idioms. My question is should i completely ignore idioms or should i spend some time on them? Need some insights in this regard.

Regards

arron

While this may be the case, it's also true that knowing the correct idiom can help one eliminate options and arrive at the answer very quickly, so I still think knowledge of idioms is very helpful on SC. In my first attempt at the GMAT a month back, I recall at least three SC questions in which the idiom helped me eliminate options. It's another matter that I ended up marking two of them wrong as I wasn't sure of the idiom. The problem is I find it difficult to 'memorize' idioms, as some experts recommend. For example 'consider to be' sounds so good to the ear that even though I know it is the wrong idiom I end up marking it as correct on the actual test, especially when it's part of a long sentence. But idioms are very important for sure.

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 6

Re: SC idioms [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 21:49
Hi there,

Knowledge of idioms helps in eliminating wrong answer choices, so your task is reduced to opting right answer out of 1-2 leftover options. So, they are important, don't ignore idioms.

Hope that helps!

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: SC idioms   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2013, 21:49