Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:McGill Desautels Class of 2013
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing/Consulting
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Management Consulting 2 years
WE 2: Software development 6 months
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing/Consulting
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Management Consulting 2 years
WE 2: Software development 6 months
Send PM
Re: Schulich September 2011 - Intake [#permalink]
I can't afford to lose hope....n Schulich doesn't let a potential candidate go....if seats are unavailable in the current session then they also consider keeping a seat for you in the next session....so I am hopeful if not fall then atleast spring 2012.... All d best dude!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
FergTron wrote:
rodivu wrote:
I had my interview on last thursday and I have not heard anything since then....I heard few hav got admits right after the interview :( :( :( :(

Hey, at least you've got an interview. I've yet to receive any indication that one will/won't be coming. I attended their open house in February so I was able to speak to some of the admissions folks and was told that my file was being reviewed and a decision should come in early March but I've yet to here anything. Seeing as I haven't been interviewed I suspect a Ding! is on the way whenever I do hear something.

If you have attended their open house session then there is a good chance of getting an admit without interview.. so keep your hopes high ... it happened with many candidates.

In my case I got the decision within 24 hours of my interview...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ans wrote:
FergTron wrote:
rodivu wrote:
I had my interview on last thursday and I have not heard anything since then....I heard few hav got admits right after the interview :( :( :( :(

Hey, at least you've got an interview. I've yet to receive any indication that one will/won't be coming. I attended their open house in February so I was able to speak to some of the admissions folks and was told that my file was being reviewed and a decision should come in early March but I've yet to here anything. Seeing as I haven't been interviewed I suspect a Ding! is on the way whenever I do hear something.

If you have attended their open house session then there is a good chance of getting an admit without interview.. so keep your hopes high ... it happened with many candidates.

In my case I got the decision within 24 hours of my interview...

One More important Thing: the status on my application page (apply embark) has not changed. I received an admit email that too in spam folder ..thank god, now a days, I am paying attention to SPAM FOLDer as well !!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the updates ANS. I'm not surprised its taken some time reviewing my application as I was considered as a special case due to some poor grades in law school. But I do hope to have a decision sometime soon. I've already got a deposit down at a peer school that I rank similarly to Schulich so if I don't get an admit I've still got a place to go in the fall, but I'd love to have a tough decision to make.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FergTron wrote:
Thanks for the updates ANS. I'm not surprised its taken some time reviewing my application as I was considered as a special case due to some poor grades in law school. But I do hope to have a decision sometime soon. I've already got a deposit down at a peer school that I rank similarly to Schulich so if I don't get an admit I've still got a place to go in the fall, but I'd love to have a tough decision to make.

Thats GOOD!!

All the best...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I got $5000 Dean's entrance award + $2000 in bursary...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tml2004 wrote:

Congratulations !!!

When did you get the mail??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ans wrote:
tml2004 wrote:

Congratulations !!!

I got notified yesterday. I applied for admission early November. I don't know how much that has influenced their decision on the award, but I guess it helped.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tml2004 wrote:
ans wrote:
tml2004 wrote:

Congratulations !!!

I got notified yesterday. I applied for admission early November. I don't know how much that has influenced their decision on the award, but I guess it helped.

Kewl .. Congratulations Again :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
FergTron wrote:
I'm still waiting for an admit decision. My application has been in queue for 10 weeks now and I've heard nothing.

Ten weeks? That's INSANE!

Especially if you went to the open house.
Intern
Intern
Schools:McDonough (R2-Accepted), York-Schulich (R1- Accepted), Booth (R2 -WL), Yale (R2 - Ding w/o int), Fuqua (R2- Accepted), Cornell-Johnson(R3-Ding w/int), USC-Marshall (R2 - Accepted)
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Finance (Int'l) 4 yrs
Send PM
Hey everyone...fellow Schulich admit here. First off...for scholarships, how much after your acceptance did you receive notification? Or did it come at the same time?

Secondly...I'm currently quite conflicted on my choice of which school to attend in the fall. I'm originally from Canada and part of me would like to come back home for school, but I'm struggling to find any good comparisons between American and US schools. I've been accepted to Duke, Georgetown, and USC as well as waitlisted at Booth - and as much as I want to give Schulich (and home) a fair shot, I can't seem to justify choosing Schulich over Duke. Any bits of advice/commentary?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
olymbios wrote:
Hey everyone...fellow Schulich admit here. First off...for scholarships, how much after your acceptance did you receive notification? Or did it come at the same time?

Secondly...I'm currently quite conflicted on my choice of which school to attend in the fall. I'm originally from Canada and part of me would like to come back home for school, but I'm struggling to find any good comparisons between American and US schools. I've been accepted to Duke, Georgetown, and USC as well as waitlisted at Booth - and as much as I want to give Schulich (and home) a fair shot, I can't seem to justify choosing Schulich over Duke. Any bits of advice/commentary?

If I were in your shoes, I would have chosen DUke over schulich ( no second thoughts ) provided money is not the concern. The only factor is money. Duke is most expensive and Schulich is least expensive for MBA. Rest depends on your fit, goals and blah blah ...

Regarding scholarship they will inform after a few days .. all da best ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
olymbios wrote:

I'm not sure why you are asking this question because your mind is already made up.
Quite honestly, the only advantage of Fuqua over Schulich is the reputation of Duke university and a strong alumni presence in the worlds largest economy.

I think Rotman/Ivey/Schulich have a major advantage over most U.S. schools in the field of finance. Toronto is a large financial centre, and most of the recruitment by Canadian and foreign banks that operate offices in Toronto do recruit extensively from these three schools. As far as I know, Fuqua is not known for its strength in finance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I submitted my application a little late (Mar.24), and haven't gotten an initial response. I received my Rotman acceptance a week ago though, so I am on the clock. What was the average wait time? I'm thinking anywhere between 3-6 weeks... but if it's much longer than 3 weeks I might have lost my opportunity... :? There's of course no way to hurry the process along?

Stats:
GMAT- 740
W/E- 2 years, prov gov't
BA in Econ - 3.5
EC's - not great

Originally I was considering Rotman my 1st choice, hence not getting Schulich in on time, but now I am very switching my preference..... My main interest is Strategy, but think I would be interested in BD, and potentially would like to work in Non-profit, and would consider public sector work. While Rotman is very strong in Strategy, and I like the Integrative Thinking and Business Design approach, a few things worry me, like the huge percentage of placements in finance, consulting, and the fact that so many stay within the GTA.

Where-as Schulich's diversity and options for non-profit, public, etc. are really good - but their placements in these areas don't even seem that strong? As a percentage I think for gov't and non-profit their essentially the same as Rotman, which is surprising.

FergTron wrote:
That's a really tough one. Between Rotman and Schulich I'd have a very tough decision to make. Based upon my work experience and my current career aspirations I think a Schulich education would suit my needs better, but at the same time Rotman's name value would travel further in a larger variety of industries/sectors. I'm not a finance guy although my quant skills/previous academic work etc. are strong. I enjoy NFP/Economic Development work and may find it difficult to find a position that upon graduation compensates at the level needed to pay back the much larger Rotman tuition bill. However, given that I am relatively young and inexperienced (not quite 3 years of WE) I understand that my aspirations may change and if that is the case I think the Rotman brand name may be a huge asset to have. So to answer your question I'm absolutely torn right now.

I think I can relate to this pretty closely. What makes you think Rotman has a significantly stronger brand?? I sort of get the feeling that UofT is more 'rigorous', but don't know what to base that on, and it might be unfounded...

What did you decide?

zaj16 wrote:
-I visited Schulich last January, and I really like the facility. I wasn't overly impressed with the the Rotman facility when I saw it around the same time, but it is undergoing some major renovations which should be complete by 2012, and the new facility looks great. In terms of location, I'm drawn towards Rotman because it's located downtown TO, which is great not only for school and work, but also for life in general - food, concerts, nightlife, etc.

I'm really stuck on this decision right now, and I don't want to rush into it, but I have until next week to accept Rotman, and about three weeks after that to accept Schulich. Would it be really inappropriate to request an extension of the offer for admission to give myself enough time to be fully satisfied with my decision?

FergTron, would you add anything/have any comments relating to the factors I'm considering in this decision? Have I missed anything?

Did you request an extension? How did things go?

Originally posted by Derek57 on 02 Apr 2011, 15:41.
Last edited by Derek57 on 02 Apr 2011, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools:McDonough (R2-Accepted), York-Schulich (R1- Accepted), Booth (R2 -WL), Yale (R2 - Ding w/o int), Fuqua (R2- Accepted), Cornell-Johnson(R3-Ding w/int), USC-Marshall (R2 - Accepted)
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Finance (Int'l) 4 yrs
Send PM
Derek57 wrote:
I submitted my application a little late (Mar.24), and haven't gotten an initial response. I received my Rotman acceptance a week ago though, so I am on the clock. What was the average wait time? I'm thinking anywhere between 3-6 weeks... but if it's much longer than 3 weeks I might have lost my opportunity... :? There's of course no way to hurry the process along?

Stats:
GMAT- 740
W/E- 2 years, prov gov't
BA in Econ - 3.5
EC's - not great

Originally I was considering Rotman my 1st choice, hence not getting Schulich in on time, but now I am very switching my preference..... My main interest is Strategy, but think I would be interested in BD, and potentially would like to work in Non-profit, and would consider public sector work. While Rotman is very strong in Strategy, and I like the Integrative Thinking and Business Design approach, a few things worry me, like the huge percentage of placements in finance, consulting, and the fact that so many stay within the GTA.

Where-as Schulich's diversity and options for non-profit, public, etc. are really good - but their placements in these areas don't even seem that strong? As a percentage I think for gov't and non-profit their essentially the same as Rotman, which is surprising.

FergTron wrote:
That's a really tough one. Between Rotman and Schulich I'd have a very tough decision to make. Based upon my work experience and my current career aspirations I think a Schulich education would suit my needs better, but at the same time Rotman's name value would travel further in a larger variety of industries/sectors. I'm not a finance guy although my quant skills/previous academic work etc. are strong. I enjoy NFP/Economic Development work and may find it difficult to find a position that upon graduation compensates at the level needed to pay back the much larger Rotman tuition bill. However, given that I am relatively young and inexperienced (not quite 3 years of WE) I understand that my aspirations may change and if that is the case I think the Rotman brand name may be a huge asset to have. So to answer your question I'm absolutely torn right now.

I think I can relate to this pretty closely. What makes you think Rotman has a significantly stronger brand?? I sort of get the feeling that UofT is more 'rigorous', but don't know what to base that on, and it might be unfounded...

What did you decide?

zaj16 wrote:
-I visited Schulich last January, and I really like the facility. I wasn't overly impressed with the the Rotman facility when I saw it around the same time, but it is undergoing some major renovations which should be complete by 2012, and the new facility looks great. In terms of location, I'm drawn towards Rotman because it's located downtown TO, which is great not only for school and work, but also for life in general - food, concerts, nightlife, etc.

I'm really stuck on this decision right now, and I don't want to rush into it, but I have until next week to accept Rotman, and about three weeks after that to accept Schulich. Would it be really inappropriate to request an extension of the offer for admission to give myself enough time to be fully satisfied with my decision?

FergTron, would you add anything/have any comments relating to the factors I'm considering in this decision? Have I missed anything?

Did you request an extension? How did things go?[/quote]

I submitted my application Feb 1, received my acceptance on Feb 15. Just called them this past Wednesday (March 30) and asked for an extension until Apr 15 to give me some time to weigh my offers. They were completely receptive and the extension was not a problem. Ask away!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krussell wrote:
I'm a Schulich student and I can answer some of your guys' concerns.

I went through the same dilemma as you guys in deciding between admits to Rotman and Schulich. I visited both campuses and found Schulich to be a master in tailoring my visit to what I was interested in (Arts & Media and Marketing). They took me around the campus and building and gave me all the haps on what I could expect. Rotman, however, didn't seem too interested in anything besides telling me what a great reputation they had.

I eventually chose Schulich because they are a better business school brand and they really allow you to explore. Rotman is heavily financed focused. They basically told me that I would eat, sleep, and breathe quantitative courses. Schulich has a lot of quantitative requirements (two accounting courses, a stats course, a finance class, and an economics class), but nowhere near what Rotman requires. Rotman has limited options for studies, whereas Schulich has several which are exclusive to their school in Canada (such as Not-For-Profit, Green Business, and Arts & Media Management). Another big plus is that all 5 major bank and the four largest media conglomerates CEO's all came from Schulich (of course - they aren't the ones recruiting, but it helps :)).

By saying it is a business school brand, I mean that it is the only school in Canada known more for its brand as opposed to its university brand. Desautels, Ivey, and Rotman all come from very reputable schools, but I guarantee you if you say Rotman or Desautels, you will always have to present it as McGill or UofT. Schulich, as part of York, is not one of the most respected universities in Canada, but it has allowed the school to develop a masterful business program and a brand that is on its own. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, it's pretty subjective. I like it because I can say Schulich and everyone knows where the heck I am and what kind of business school student I might be.

The full time MBA has two course types - required and optional. In your first semester, you are split into a section of students which is between 40-60 people. In the classes I sat in at Rotman, it was exactly the same - but Rotman does this the entire first year while Schulich is only half of the year. Optional classes are anywhere from 15 to 50 students, depending on the subject matter. A class like Negotiations is super popular and always waitlisted, but classes like Managing in the Broadcast World would be more along the 15-25 people range.

The IMBA class is one of Schulich's bread and butter. They get a lot perks and attention the wider MBA class doesn't, but they are together the entire year as well. They have a heavier workload than regular MBAs, but I don't think it is unmanageable.

Schulich has a HUGE piggy bank that it gives scholarships from. Most of my friends received entrance scholarships or bursaries if they applied early enough. These range anywhere between 2k and 20k.

One thing I can say is much better at Schulich than Rotman is the social life. The Graduate Business Council has a bar night every week and there is a large amount of clubs at the school who also facilitate social events. I know Rotman has had a huge problem doing this and students often feel isolated. I think this is mainly due to the fact that most Rotman students are from the GTA, whereas 90% of Schulich students come from other areas of Canada or the Globe.

Essentially, the decision is up to you. I don't think basing a decision on brand recognition is a necessity since the only three real biz-schools with strong brands in Canada are Ivey, Schulich, and Rotman. Desautels and Sauder are Tier 2 in Canadian terms, but I'm sure they offer as good of an education as Schulich.

I can answer any other concerns you guys have, just post 'em here (or if I didn't give enough info about something).

This has been a real help, thanks. I have a few questions or concerns

- What do you consider to be Schulich's strengths? They seem to place quite well in a variety of industries and functions. Do you think the school is strong in Strategy?
- I'm very surprised to hear that the school is considered more social. Since I've heard its pretty far in the middle of nowhere and not in the nicest of areas, I'd prefer to commute from somewhere more central. But it's not a commuter school?
- How have you found the career services at Schulich?
- Have you had problems with the language skills, or the quality otherwise, or your classmates? Some people say that because there are very few interviews, you don't always get the best quality colleagues
- Are you able to take any courses outside of the business school? The UofT interviewee said that this is something you can do at Rotman, and that is partly what attracted me to the program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
olymbios wrote:

I submitted my application Feb 1, received my acceptance on Feb 15. Just called them this past Wednesday (March 30) and asked for an extension until Apr 15 to give me some time to weigh my offers. They were completely receptive and the extension was not a problem. Ask away!

This was Rotman that gave you the extension? Awesome news, thanks!

I am confused though. Wouldn't March 30th be after the 30 day deadline date from your acceptance??
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts