Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Serious issue with Quant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi spyrodiaaa,

Assuming that the information that you've provided are the Scaled Scores (and not the Percentiles) for the Quant and Verbal sections, then you're currently scoring in the mid-500s to high-500s. With a Verbal Scaled Score in the 40s, you have a much greater opportunity to pick up points in the Quant section.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level - and it's possible that this has happened to you. Thus, you'll likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book resources.

Have you reviewed your last CAT in detail? Can you define WHY you're getting questions wrong? How often are you making silly/little mistakes and how often do you really have no idea how to approach the question?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
spyrodiaaa wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been reading the site for long but first time writing.

I face a serious issue with quant, i have read the manhattan books i have read a lot throught the forum but still even though i know the
concepts, i cant solve the questions.

I usually get like Q 33 but i dont know what to do, i mean what to study exatcly and what to do
any suggestions on what to do? Should i keep practising questions to "find" patterns or?

Thanks.

Personal info:
I have been studying for like 2 months
My exam day is in 18 days
My target was around 660 ( my verbal is around 42)

Hi spyrodiaaa,

Although you might feel that you have all the concepts in place, but your scores suggest otherwise.
Have you finished solving all the problems from the course pack and the OG?

If you are stuck at some point, the best approach is to dig deep an understand the problem types that are troubling you:

Try to break the questions in topics such as Algebra, Number system (very important), Geometry, PnC etc.
Go through the concepts from the course that you have been following and then solve the problems.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

Can you postpone your GMAT? I am asking this, because you are already scoring at a very high level in the Verbal section and a few tweaks to the Quants section can easily extend your score above 700.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64935 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
spyrodiaaa wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been reading the site for long but first time writing.

I face a serious issue with quant, i have read the manhattan books i have read a lot throught the forum but still even though i know the
concepts, i cant solve the questions.

I usually get like Q 33 but i dont know what to do, i mean what to study exatcly and what to do
any suggestions on what to do? Should i keep practising questions to "find" patterns or?

Thanks.

Personal info:
I have been studying for like 2 months
My exam day is in 18 days
My target was around 660 ( my verbal is around 42)

A Q33 indicates some major gaps in fundamentals. I suggest you to either go through the complete curriculum or if you have limited time, focus on topics you find hard, but just practicing questions may not be enough.
It seems that you will find our On-Demand course quite useful. Check it out here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Serious issue with Quant [#permalink]
My problem as i can understand, is that even though i believe i know the math when i see some questions i dont know how to approach them, i mean when i see them solved i understand them and i day " well i knew that" but at first i freeze and cant seem to solve it.
I was always the guy who liked to approach problems with methodology and patterns. For example when i read about the patterns in Remainder problems here , my score in remainders drastically rose but before that when i saw this kind of problems i had to idea how to be sure how to solve them, or i know the rules with division or integers but when i see them i dont really know how to solve them.

Do you bthink, i should read again the fundamentals-books etc? (i strongly believe that they cannot offer me anything more)
My other though is just to study the preblems and learn them like that.

btw i just did the gmat prep cat test ( one that had 2 cat test) and i scored in Q41 i dont if it considered generally easier though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
any thoughts on how to continue now?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi spyrodiaaa,

This recent Q41 is a significant improvement over your prior scores, so I have a few questions about how you took this CAT:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at home?
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during this CAT that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take this CAT before? Had you seen any of the questions before?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Serious issue with Quant [#permalink]
1) no i care only for quant and verbal
2)no
3)yes
4)no ( except essay and ir which i dont care about)
5)no

ps i wrote the 2 cat of this test and i got 600 q39 v34
(i know i must study again a little verbal cause i havent for like a month) but my issue is quant
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi spyrodiaaa,

Unless you know for sure that the specific Programs that you plan to apply to have no interest in the Essay and IR scores, you're going to have to do your best during those sections on Test Day. If you've been skipping those sections during your practice, then you've been taking shorter CATs that required less effort and energy from you. As such, your CAT score results are likely 'inflated' and a bit unrealistic. This is meant to say that you should make sure to take the FULL CAT from now on.

Barring that issue, to properly go about scoring at a higher level in the Quant section, you have to try to define WHY you're getting questions wrong. After reviewing the Quant section of your last CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....

1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot