Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Re: Set S consists of even number of integers. Is the median of [#permalink]
racha24 wrote:
sumande wrote:
empty_spaces wrote:
Set S consists of even number of integers. Is the median of set S negative ?

1 . Exactly half of all the elements of set S are positive.

2. The biggest negative element of set S is -1.

This should be E.

Stmt 1: insufficient.
S={-1,0,1,2}; Median=0.5
S={-2,-1,1,2}; Median=0

Stmt 2: insufficient.
We don't know how many elements are there in the set.

Both together, I am confused. What does "biggest negative element" mean? -1 > all other negative integers, so there can be any other negative element in the set. Or is the definition of biggest in terms of the absolute value. However, in either case it will be insufficient.
S={-1,4}; S={-1,1} Different medians.

if you combine both statements medial will always be greater than or equal to 0. C.

That depends on the definition of "biggest number". -1 is bigger than -4, so we can have a -4 in the set. But considering absolute values, we cannot. Then the answer will be C. (I shouldn't solve these too early in the morning. :-D ) But otherwise the answer should be E.

Am I making any sense? (I have a feeling, I am not.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
empty_spaces wrote:

I'll go with C

It would be C if we consider half elements positive and half negative
Say S={-1,1} or S={-6,-1,1,1} will give you a median of either 0 or positive number; thus, can never be negative.

If we consider half positive, some zeros, some negative, you get the same result that median can never be negative.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
good question. I'll go with C. That largest negative number being -1 is the key.
Manager
Manager
My question still is "how do you define the largest negative number?"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
sumande wrote:

Absolute values have nothing to do with this.

The median is the average of the middle two numbers. Since half the numbers are positive we know that we are averaging some number with a number >= 1. If the biggest negative number of set S is -1 that means you would average 1 (or more) and -1 and you'd get >= 0. if you averaged 1 and 0 you'd get > 0. there's no way to average them and get less than 0. so it's C.

im sorry if this isn't what you're asking. I'm rather confused on what exactly your question is
Manager
Manager
eschn3am wrote:
sumande wrote:

Absolute values have nothing to do with this.

The median is the average of the middle two numbers. Since half the numbers are positive we know that we are averaging some number with a number >= 1. If the biggest negative number of set S is -1 that means you would average 1 (or more) and -1 and you'd get >= 0. if you averaged 1 and 0 you'd get > 0. there's no way to average them and get less than 0. so it's C.

im sorry if this isn't what you're asking. I'm rather confused on what exactly your question is

Thanks for attempting to understand my vague question. :-D

My confusion is simple. The question says the biggest negative value is -1. So does that mean that -4 or -5 or -99 cannot be part of the set ?? For me they are lesser than -1. So, the biggest value being -1 does not tell us anything.

Forget about the absolute value thing, it was too early in the morning. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Quote:
The question says the biggest negative value is -1. So does that mean that -4 or -5 or -99 cannot be part of the set ?? For me they are lesser than -1. So, the biggest value being -1 does not tell us anything.

No, you're right here. The biggest negative value is -1 so the other one can be -100, -50, -23523523 or 0. It doesn't matter. They are asking for the MEDIAN of the set, not the average. The median is the middle term of a set (when there are an odd number of elements) or the average of the middle two elements if a set has an even number of elements (like this one). That means the sets can look like any of these

{-235, -1, 1, 23}
{-2, -1, 1, 2}
{-1, 0, 1, 2}

all we know is that two integers (the two on the right if you list them by size) must be positive. The smallest number can be anything it wants, but the largest negative number is for sure -1. so you could have 0, -1 or -25, -1.

but the average of the two center terms will ALWAYS be a positive number (or at the lowest, 0). The median of the set will never be negative. so you get C.
Manager
Manager
eschn3am wrote:
Quote:
The question says the biggest negative value is -1. So does that mean that -4 or -5 or -99 cannot be part of the set ?? For me they are lesser than -1. So, the biggest value being -1 does not tell us anything.

No, you're right here. The biggest negative value is -1 so the other one can be -100, -50, -23523523 or 0. It doesn't matter. They are asking for the MEDIAN of the set, not the average. The median is the middle term of a set (when there are an odd number of elements) or the average of the middle two elements if a set has an even number of elements (like this one). That means the sets can look like any of these

{-235, -1, 1, 23}
{-2, -1, 1, 2}
{-1, 0, 1, 2}

all we know is that two integers (the two on the right if you list them by size) must be positive. The smallest number can be anything it wants, but the largest negative number is for sure -1. so you could have 0, -1 or -25, -1.

but the average of the two center terms will ALWAYS be a positive number (or at the lowest, 0). The median of the set will never be negative. so you get C.

Stupid me...I was imagining the set without -1 !! :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V45
Send PM
That would do it! lol

If exactly half the numbers are positive that means the other ones must be 0 or negative. either way it works out to be a positive median
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
empty_spaces wrote:

using 1 and 2: the lowest median could be 0, which is not -ve.

so its C.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts