Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [30]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [11]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619238 [6]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Masters in Finance
Schools:London Business School
Send PM
Re: Set X consists of 100 numbers. The average (arithmetic mean) of set X [#permalink]
Kudos
Hussain15 wrote:
Set X consists of 100 numbers. The average (arithmetic mean) of set X is 10, and the standard deviation is 4.6. Which of the following two numbers, when added to set X, will decrease the set’s standard deviation by the greatest amount?

A. -100 & -100
B. -10 & -10
C. 0 & 0
D. 0 & 20
E. 10 & 10

Answer E

Standard Deviation is deviation from the mean. If all the numbers in a set are equal to mean, then the standard deviation will be zero.
Therefore, in the given set with mean of 10, if we add 10 & 10, then the standard deviation will reduce. All other numbers will increase the standard deviation.

Please note that B is not the answer. Mean is +10 and, therefore, -10 is 20 points away from +10 (its not equal to the mean). Therefore, -10 will increase the standard deviation of the given set.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: MBA, Finance, 2009
Schools:UCLA Anderson
Send PM
Re: Set X consists of 100 numbers. The average (arithmetic mean) of set X [#permalink]
Kudos
Clearly E, as the mean of the set is 10. Adding the mean as an extra value in the set will decrease the standard deviation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I have a doubt for this explaination.
The question says "will decrease the set’s standard deviation by the GREATEST amount" Now if SD is +ve then adding a negetive number will reduce the standard deviation correct?? and if SD is -ve then adding the positive number will reduce the standard deviation. the value of the added will depend on the number of data given.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Send PM
I have another doubt:

If we will add 10 & 10 to set X, then the arithematic mean will not change i.e it will still be 10. Hence the standar deviation will not change & will remain the same. But our requirement is that SD will decrease in maximum.

What am I missing here?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Send PM
Hussain15 wrote:
I have another doubt:

If we will add 10 & 10 to set X, then the arithematic mean will not change i.e it will still be 10. Hence the standar deviation will not change & will remain the same. But our requirement is that SD will decrease in maximum.

What am I missing here?

I think the red portion in my statement above is not correct. SD will come down. :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: MBA, Finance, 2009
Schools:UCLA Anderson
Send PM
Kudos
You can prove it yourself with a couple quick calculations. Try calculating the SD for the set

{1,2,3}

and then calculate it for the set

{1,2,2,3}

Notice how it decreases.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22062 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Set X consists of 100 numbers. The average (arithmetic mean) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hussain15 wrote:
Set X consists of 100 numbers. The average (arithmetic mean) of set X is 10, and the standard deviation is 4.6. Which of the following two numbers, when added to set X, will decrease the set’s standard deviation by the greatest amount?

A. -100 and -100
B. -10 and -10
C. 0 and 0
D. 0 and 20
E. 10 and 10

The standard deviation is a measure of the spread of data values around the mean. If data values are close to the mean, the standard deviation is small, and if data values are further away from the mean, the standard deviation is larger.

Thus, in order to decrease the standard deviation, we want to find two values that are as close to the mean as possible. Since the mean is 10, the two values of 10 and 10 will decrease the standard deviation by the greatest amount.

Answer: E
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation:

Standard deviation is a tricky subject. Here’s a GMAT blog that explains absolutely everything you need to know about the standard deviation.

First we have to understand what the mean is. The mean is just the plain old average --- add up all the terms on the list, and divide by the number of terms on the list. Adding -100 and -100 would lower the mean the most, but that’s not what the question is asking.

The standard deviation is something much more complicated. There's a technical definition, which I explain in that GMAT blog, but the more informal definition is fine for this problem.

The informal definition --- standard deviation is sort of an average of the deviations from the mean. You see, every term has its own distance from the mean, and we call that a “deviation from the mean” ---- for these purposes, we count it as positive whether it’s greater than or less than the mean.

In this problem, the mean = 10. A value of 13 would have a deviation from the mean of 3. A value of 7 would also have a deviation from the mean of 3. Each of those terms, 13 and 7, are a distance of 3 from the mean, so in terms of the standard deviation, they contribute the same thing. Very high or very low numbers, far away from the mean, would have large deviations from the mean. We find the deviation from the mean of every number on the list --- all 100 numbers in this problem ---- and the standard deviation is sort of an average of all 100 of those deviations from the mean. (Again, this is not the precise definition, it’s not a strict average, but for this problem it’s close enough.)

The question gives a numerical value for the standard deviation, 4.6, but that's just a distractor. We don't need that.

The question asks us to add two numbers that lower the standard deviation the most. Well, the standard deviation is a kind of average, and if we want to lower any average, we have to add new terms that make contributions as small as possible. What's the smallest possible deviation a number could have from the mean? If we added a new term with a value of 10, that term equals the mean, so its deviation from the mean—its distance from the mean—is zero. If the new term is anything above or below 10, it will have a deviation from the mean greater than zero. Therefore, the lowest possible deviation from the mean a term can have is zero, and this is possible only if the term equals the mean of 10. Thus, if we two terms, both equal to the mean, we will be adding two terms with the lowest possible deviation from the mean, and that will lower the standard deviation, the average across all deviations from the mean, as much as possible.

Answer = E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts