Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4419 [9]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 880 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Shilapentokh's study indicated that, in Soviet Union, women's absentee [#permalink]
fameatop wrote:
shilapentokh's study indicated that ,in soviet union ,women's absenteeism from their jobs ,despite their home duties and their child-care responsibilities ,were only a fifth of men .
a)were only a fifth of men- Singular verb WAS must be used since the subject "Absenteeism" is singular. Moreover, the comparison is logically incorrect as this option compares "women's absenteeism" with "men" & not "men's absenteeism". Thus Incorrect.

b)were only a fifth of men's
- Singular verb WAS must be used since the subject "Absenteeism" is singular. Thus Incorrect.

c)was only a fifth of men's - Correct

d)was only a fifth of men
- The comparison is logically incorrect as this option compares "women's absenteeism" with "men" & not "men's absenteeism". Thus Incorrect.

e)was a fifth of only of that of men
Placement of ONLY changes the meaning of the sentence. Thus Incorrect.

I think we should use "were" as we are having subjunctive form "indicated that".

B should be the answer..!!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Shilapentokh's study indicated that, in Soviet Union, women's absentee [#permalink]
guerrero25 wrote:
shilapentokh's study indicated that ,in soviet union ,women's absenteeism from their jobs ,despite their home duties and their child-care responsibilities ,were only a fifth of men .

a)were only a fifth of men
c)was only a fifth of men's

Restating the sentence:

Shilapentokh's study indicated that ,in soviet union ,women's absenteeism from their jobs ,despite their home duties and their child-care responsibilities ,were only a fifth of men .
So the actual sentence comes down to S's study indicated that women's absenteeism were only a fifth of men.
Usage of were:
i) in hypothetical situations
ii) for plurality

B cannot be the answer.
@Jaituteja...can you please mention the rule regarding the relation of subjunctive and "were".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Kudos
jaituteja wrote:
fameatop wrote:
a)were only a fifth of men- Singular verb WAS must be used since the subject "Absenteeism" is singular. Moreover, the comparison is logically incorrect as this option compares "women's absenteeism" with "men" & not "men's absenteeism". Thus Incorrect.

- Singular verb WAS must be used since the subject "Absenteeism" is singular. Thus Incorrect.

c)was only a fifth of men's - Correct

- The comparison is logically incorrect as this option compares "women's absenteeism" with "men" & not "men's absenteeism". Thus Incorrect.

Placement of ONLY changes the meaning of the sentence. Thus Incorrect.

I think we should use "were" as we are having subjunctive form "indicated that".

Hey Jai,

Don't get it wrong, but I think you are not well verse with subjunctive mood. Subjunctive mood is used only in DEPENDENT clause and mood is of 2 types:
Present subjunctive- Independent clause indicates some sort of Command or Order
Past Subjunctive- Independent clause indicates some sort of Wish

If we remove all the non-restrictive modifiers we get
Shilapentokh's study indicated that women's absenteeism from their jobs WERE only a fifth of men.
The underlined portion is dependent clause

First of all INDICATED does not indicate any sort of command or order. Even if we want to represent this sentence in subjunctive mood, we must use Present Subjunctive:
Shilapentokh's study indicated that women's absenteeism from their jobs WAS only a fifth of men.

Thus option B is incorrect.

I hope this clarifies your doubt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
i admit: very stupid question, but how does one know "women's absenteeism" is singular?

through slash and burn, i read:

Shilapentokh's study indicated that, in soviet union, women's absenteeism from their jobs, despite their home duties and their child-care responsibilities, were only a fifth of men.

are there any clues in the passage i'm missing that leads to "women's absenteeism" being singular or is this part of another, larger concept to know?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos