Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Re: Should terp re-take the GMAT? [#permalink]
I would tend to agree with the others. I think the ROI on the hours you'd spend getting that extra point or two on quant would not be as high as spending it on fine tuning your essays. Also, there is no guarantee that you'll even get a higher quant score when you retake the test however you can be pretty confident that spending an extra 10 hours per week on essays will improve them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Kudos
I agree. No need for a re-take. A 710, 3.5 clears the academic hurdle at any top school. Time to get crackin on those essays. I've started working on mine.... it's fun. I know its hard to pick up sacrcasm on a message board...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Congrats! Nice score!

I tend to agree with the others here. Judging from your profile, you can put your mind at ease in regards to the gmat and focus on apps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
This is straight from the Chicago AdCom's mouth at my visit this past week, "We like to look at the overall score, although we like to see the 80-80 split, the overall score is more important."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
terp, even if you get into a top school, your sub-80% Q may hurt you when recruiting for IB. I mean, you will be competing with some amazing folks at, say, chicago with top notch finance backgrounds. Chances are that the IB-focused folks will have much higher GMATs than chicago's average, and I believe BB IB firms are GMAT-whores in general. I am no expert in IB, but throwing this out there for your consideration.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
terp, even if you get into a top school, your sub-80% Q may hurt you when recruiting for IB.

Can anyone confirm whether any firms actually look at the split? This is the first time I've heard this.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
This is straight from the Chicago AdCom's mouth at my visit this past week, "We like to look at the overall score, although we like to see the 80-80 split, the overall score is more important."

Phew
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
you could put in more work on it and still not improve significantly on your overall GMAT. I mean I received a 720 on a 48 42 split. That equals 4 extra points in Q for just a 10 point overall payoff..

My 2 cents - start looking at essays if you haven't already.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
2 Questions :

-Do you think an increased score will enhance your chances at your dream school. You agree yourself that 710 is good enough to merit a chance at any of the top schools. If your personally not convinced, give it a retry and focus on your quant this time. This forum has brilliant guys like walker, who can be great help.

-Talk to ADCOMS, and students , in these schools . If you hear that your 710 is a detterent, due to a low Q , then give it a retry, although most of us here do feel, that its good enough, but its better to hear it from the horses mouth .It might increase your confidence , once you hear affirmative answers towards the score. Remember only when your convinced and confident about your application, will you be able to put those energies into writing a convincing application.

BTW What was your verbal strategy . Anything guidance for poor souls like us on gmatclub, on improving our verbal. Any tips or tricks, some verbal strategies that helped.

Best of luck towards your apps ... ( Personally , I think your good enough to apply anywhere , with a good application and make it , with a good GMAT score. :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
you could put in more work on it and still not improve significantly on your overall GMAT. I mean I received a 720 on a 48 42 split. That equals 4 extra points in Q for just a 10 point overall payoff..

My 2 cents - start looking at essays if you haven't already.

Scary
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I agree with bhatiagp - if you think your score will be a deterrent to admission at your dream school, retake. If you are comfortable with your score and think the time would be better spent on your essays, work on those.

At the end of the day, we all just have a finite amount of time to work on apps - only you can determine what the best use of that time is, whether it's working on essays, retaking, etc.

One thing that may help: if you don't get into your choice schools this year, are you open to re-applying next year?

cheers,
ac.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
710 is a good score, you don't have to worry about that. I think I mentioned in another thread that you will want to demonstrate your A's in statistics and other "math oriented" classes to offset your lower Quant score and your c's in Calculus. Haas even has a specific question asking you to list all your math classes you've taken and the grades in them. I know Toga has been asked to take some calculus class just to apply (or something like that). Your quant score may cause some alarm, but if you have A's in other classes, you can explain it BRIEFLY in the Optional Essay 2.

I think you don't need to take the GMAT again, but you will want to have some good "I'm strong in quant" story up your sleeves for the optional essay. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Honestly I think the lower quant will hurt you are the hardcore finance schools if you are planning on going into banking. It is a safe bet to assume that most of the 700+ scorers at Wharton, Chicago, MIT, and other schools like that are going to be quant heavy not verbal heavy. If you are aiming at going into banking it also might give pause to them. I am of the opinion that the GMAT score is the one thing you can control (to a point) so if you are confident you would be able to increase it, retake.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
oh yeah, my memory fails me, terp06, are you doing corporate finance or IB? If the latter, then you probably want a much higher quant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Q45 here.... with worse grades than yours in undergrad.

I haven't recruited for IB (I have interviewed for finance related jobs though) , so grain salt apply.... but no one ever even asked me my GMAT score (though I know they look at least at the total), and certainly, no one ever asked me what the breakdown was.

I also cant recall ever seeing a resume that showed the breakdown. I personally don't see the sore being an issue for you - neither for admissions nor for jobs. If I were you, I'd invest my time in essays.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
I agree with the majority here that your score will be sufficient for any industry/MBA program that you want to pursue.

As an additional data point, we reviewed a pretend application during my Chicago GSB Live visit. The applicant had the exact score that you have and a solid undergrad record. One adcom member stated that she would simply make a note of the Q score since it was a little below what most Chicago admits score, but most likely it wouldn't be an issue. The other adcom member said the GMAT score wouldn't raise any questions in her mind. So in summary, it depends on who reads your file but most likely Q44 will be acceptable anywhere. Oh, and the other notable comment from the event was from Rose Martinelli...she said "if you make a 690, do NOT worry about retaking the GMAT."

As for the breakdown during IB recruiting, I haven't talked to anyone who said the breakdown matters. Additionally, if you get into Chicago there is no bank that will question your quant abilities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Your have a great score and it will get you in to those schools, so forget about it for now and start working on your essays.

If you are worried about your score for recruiting purposes, take the test again after you are accepted.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2