Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Schools: Tuck '19
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.8
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Stuck after attempting GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 test [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sudhirgupta93,

Based on what you've described, it sounds like there might be some issues with your practice CAT scores. However, you haven't provided much information about those scores or your goals, so it would help if you could answer a few questions:

1) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) Which of those CATs included questions that you had already seen?
3) What is your goal score?
4) What is your exact Test Date?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi there! Following are the answers to the queries you've asked:-

1) I have taken CATs of official GMAT Prep software. Before I started preparing for the exam I gave a mock (one of the two free CATs available on GMAT Prep) and scored a 600 Q47 and V26. After two months of preparation I gave the second free CAT and scored 730 Q49 and V40. I will be honest that in this test I encountered many questions I had already attempted. Then I bought Exam Pack 1 and 2 and I yesterday gave 1st exam of Exam Pack 1 and I scored a 760 Q50 and V42 and to be very honest in verbal section almost 55% - 60% questions were the ones that I had already attempted.

2) I've given three CATs- 2 free CATs of GMAT Prep and 1st exam of Exam Pack 1 and in all of them I've encountered questions I've already attempted (the most number of questions in Verbal section of 1st exam of exam pack 1).

3) I haven't scored really well in my past academics so for a "consideration-worthy" application I need 740+.

4) I have to appear for the exam on 23rd September, 2016 that is coming Friday.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Stuck after attempting GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi sudhirgupta93,

Since you have seen repeated verbal questions on your last few practice exams, you may consider purchasing exam pack two and taking one of those exams to get an up-to-date GMAT score. If you score near your goal of 740+, you should be pretty set for your real exam. However, if you do not score near your goal, you may consider scheduling your GMAT for a later date.

Once you take another official practice exam, report back with your score breakdown, and I’d be happy to provide some further advice.

Here’s a great article that has some strategies you should follow the week leading up to your GMAT.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi sudhirgupta93,

Since you have seen repeated verbal questions on your last few practice exams, you may consider purchasing exam pack two and taking one of those exams to get an up-to-date GMAT score. If you score near your goal of 740+, you should be pretty set for your real exam. However, if you do not score near your goal, you may consider scheduling your GMAT for a later date.

Once you take another official practice exam, report back with your score breakdown, and I’d be happy to provide some further advice.

Here’s a great article that has some strategies you should follow the week leading up to your GMAT.

Good luck!

Hi Jeff!

I gave another CAT today and my score came crashing down to 680 Q50 V31. I'm doing okay on my quant I guess but my verbal performance today was a surprise even for myself. I got 12 questions wrong and scored 31 on verbal however I have scored V41 with 11 questions wrong. This disparity has set an alarm for me. What can I do for verbal now?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sudhirgupta93,

From what you've described, it sounds like almost all of your CAT scores include 'inflated' Verbal results (since there were so many 'repeat' questions that you already knew the answers to). This recent score (with the V31), might be the one accurate measure that you have - and we can't assume that those other score results are accurate. While your Quant scores seem consistently strong, you would have to make some significant improvements to raise a V31 up to a high enough level to hit 740+ on Test Day. Unfortunately, with less than a week to go, that might be too difficult a task to be considered a realistic goal.

Since it's now less than 7 days until your Exam, you should plan to take the GMAT on Friday as planned.

1) After reviewing the V31, what types of questions were you having the most difficulty with?
2) If you don't score 740+ on Friday, how will your plans change?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sudhirgupta93,

From what you've described, it sounds like almost all of your CAT scores include 'inflated' Verbal results (since there were so many 'repeat' questions that you already knew the answers to). This recent score (with the V31), might be the one accurate measure that you have - and we can't assume that those other score results are accurate. While your Quant scores seem consistently strong, you would have to make some significant improvements to raise a V31 up to a high enough level to hit 740+ on Test Day. Unfortunately, with less than a week to go, that might be too difficult a task to be considered a realistic goal.

Since it's now less than 7 days until your Exam, you should plan to take the GMAT on Friday as planned.

1) After reviewing the V31, what types of questions were you having the most difficulty with?
2) If you don't score 740+ on Friday, how will your plans change?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi! Thanks for your response.

1) I think I mostly have problem with SC and CR, with more issues in SC. I think I'm performing okay on RC.

2) My target is 740+ but if I get around 720 also I will get my profile evaluated first. If a score of around 720 is not good enough given the other aspects of my application then I will give a second attempt. If I score below 710-700 then I will definitely give a second attempt.

3) I'm planning to apply in second round in this year only.

4) I want to go to a good B school in US. Everyone hopes for the best but I would target the schools that seem fit as per my GMAT score and my profile evaluation.
GMAT Club Bot