Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
Re: Stuck at V38 (total 720)...Need Help [#permalink]
Kudos
As Rich mentioned, you probably do not have one weak area, as you seem to be pretty strong in verbal.

For SC, I would just keep reading the MGMAT SC guide. Personally, I just read this guide until the SC questions and errors felt as if they were second nature. What I mean by this is that for certain quant questions, you probably have a pretty clear of exactly what you want to do to get the answer. Try to force yourself to have this mentality for SC. As you read a sentence, you should be able to identify potential errors right off the bat. If you can do this, you will be much stronger at SC. I also made a SC guide for myself (attached in debrief, link at bottom). I felt that this helped a ton. I always found it more helpful to make guides, rather than just reading text that was prepared by someone else. If you force yourself to make a guide, you are actively learning the material.

For CR, definitely focus on predicting the answers and finding logic gaps. The more you can "predict" the answer before actually reading the choices, the better you will get at CR.

For RC, you are going to use a lot of the same skills as for CR. I would make sure to take notes on each paragraph and personally I feel that the most important things are to understand the main idea of the passage, understand the purpose of each paragraph, and then be able to spot the details. If you can do this within a 2 minute - 2 and a half minute read through, you should be able to identify the correct answers much easier.

Remember for verbal, there are 4 fatally flawed answers for each question. Verbal can be much more formulaic that one anticipates, especially for SC.

While it is hard to score consistently above the V40 level (just due to the small change in percentile for each point increase), if you can identify the 4 flawed answers, you can do this consistently. I would recommend going back through your entire exam and trying to understand why each answer is correct. For every question, you should have three tasks: understand why the correct answer is incorrect, understand why the incorrect answers are incorrect, and understand why the incorrect answers are tricky. The GMAT will try to trick you with answers that are half correct and half incorrect, but if this is the case, you know that it is 100% wrong.

Even though you already went through the OG and Verbal review, I would go through it again just so you can explain each question and answer in detail.

How much longer do you have until your exam?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thank you for your replies they were very helpful. As to answer some questions

1. I took the exam along with IR and AWA.
2. I still have 1 month before my actual exam.
3. I finished well in time (finished 2 min before in Quant and 4 min before in Verbal)
4. I took the CAT at the same time of the day as my real test.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mohitgupta1994,

It sounds like you've made your CATs reasonably 'realistic' so all that's left now are the 'little things' that I mentioned earlier.

Here's something that you might want to consider:

Post each of the questions that you got wrong on this last CAT (put each into the proper Forum) and I'm sure you'll receive plenty of insights and suggestions from the Experts and other Users on the site. You might learn something new, find an error in your logic or pick up some 'pointers' that will help you in subtle ways.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot