Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Send PM
Re: Suggestions needed in preparation plan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi shravanthim,

That first CAT score will provide some rather valuable information about your progress and what you still need to work on. To make that experience as realistic as possible, you should plan to take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections.

You'll probably run into a few 'challenges' while taking this CAT, including pacing and endurance issues, but you'll work on those in the coming weeks and months leading up to your Test Date. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can talk through how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Suggestions needed in preparation plan [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

I gave my first mock last Thursday and the score details are below:

MGMAT test
Score: 590 (Q45 V27)

I have taken another test today(details below)

GMAT Prep
Score: 710 (Q49 V37)

However i was not able to take the AWA and IR sections this time.

Also, I am very surprised by the difference in the scores of the two mocks. I don't understand what to make out of them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi shravanthim,

A 120 point improvement in one week is NOT common, so we should 'nitpick' this situation a bit.

First, skipping the Essay and IR sections almost always leads to an 'inflated' score (since you're not as fatigued as you would be by taking the FULL CAT, you are more alert when you hit the Quant and Verbal sections). If you have previously seen any of the questions, then that would also lead to an inflated result.

Second, the 'biases' that occur in all GMAT company CATs may have ended up scoring you lower than your actual ability (meaning that your 590 was too low relative to your actual skills).

Third, there are a variety of details that impact a CAT performance (and how realistic the result is) that you have not described: time of Test, if you took it at home, if you did anything unrealistic while taking it (pausing the Test, listening to music, etc.), etc.

From here on out, you really should focus on making each CAT "event" match up with Test Day in as many ways as you can reasonably control. If your practice CAT scores are not accurate, then you won't have a clear understanding of what you'll need to focus on as you continue to study.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
shravanthim wrote:
Hi All

I am planning to give GMAT in 2 months. My ongoing preparation plan consists of the below material:

OG 2015
OG Quant and OG Verbal
Kaplan Premier
Kaplan GMAT 800
MGMAT Guides 1-8

Mocks:
GMAT Prep -2
Manhattan - 6 Tests

I am aiming for a 700+ score. I am currently working only on the books mentioned above.

Am I missing something important. Please suggest modifications in my plan if needed.

A few weeks have passed since your post, so the test should be approaching in a month and a half.

Here is a customized one month study plan that can help boost your score: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

Use this as a guideline. You don’t have to follow it exactly but the structure of the study plan should be the same structure that you take in your approach.

In addition to the books, the study plan recommends the GMAT prep software and GMAT Pill's video course. This helps to optimize your retention and learning.

Here is a sample SC video to help you along your journey: https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello shravanthim,

Two months is enough time if you make the most of this time you've allotted. That means studying every day, building on strengths, and working on weaknesses. Your study resources are good. Make a disciplined plan that includes regularly scheduled practice tests (under real conditions) and time to review the results + answers of those practice tests. When you are reviewing the results, keep record of the subject areas and question types that you miss. This way you can identify the areas you need to practice more or review. Those practice tests are the only way to track your progress and get you ready for the real thing.

Best of luck with your preparation!
GMAT Club Bot