Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Summer 2010 internship candidates - how is the search going? [#permalink]
Kudos
At Tuck, both the summer internship and full-time employment stats are MUCH improved over last year. In fact, they are close to what they were before the economic meltdown.

I was able to land one of my top picks for an internship. I was sweating it bad as it happened quite late in the game, but it all worked out in the end.

What amazes me is some of the BEST positions come out quite late. The early stuff tends to be the typical on-campus recruiting (consulting, banking, GM) by companies that have structure MBA internship programs.

The stuff that comes out later tends to be the one-off stuff from companies that don't have the structure recruiting programs. However, those positions tend to be the most interesting (at least from the job posting descriptions).

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
This is a very interesting and helpful thread especially to incoming MBA students.
Thanks to everyone for the inputs!

Does anyone know how internship recruiting for international students (no US work experience) is going? I'm interested in a Finance post for CPG or manufacturing companies. Do these companies hire internationals for internships and post-MBA jobs?

Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
vanilla wrote:
This is a very interesting and helpful thread especially to incoming MBA students.

Does anyone know how internship recruiting for international students (no US work experience) is going? I'm interested in a Finance post for CPG or manufacturing companies. Do these companies hire internationals for internships and post-MBA jobs?

Thanks!

There are employers (usually multi-nationals) in US that are hiring international students for summer internships. There aren't as many (and if you need sponsorship post MBA, that's even more difficult) opportunities available compared to ops available to domestic students, but yes, there are companies actively recruiting and hiring international students. It's usually easier if you have related work exp before entering bschool during recruiting, compared to career switchers

I personally know few internationals (not just from YSOM) at summer internship positions at CPGs like Colgate Palmolive. From what I understand, they were willing to offer summer internships to internationals. It makes sense because when I attended their presentation, they mentioned that many of their executives do international assignments and it is kinda the norm. So it's not impossible for internationals to find a job with a CPG.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Gen. Mgt.
Schools:Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Send PM
Refurn,

Were these posted on job boards?

refurb wrote:
At Tuck, both the summer internship and full-time employment stats are MUCH improved over last year. In fact, they are close to what they were before the economic meltdown.

I was able to land one of my top picks for an internship. I was sweating it bad as it happened quite late in the game, but it all worked out in the end.

What amazes me is some of the BEST positions come out quite late. The early stuff tends to be the typical on-campus recruiting (consulting, banking, GM) by companies that have structure MBA internship programs.

The stuff that comes out later tends to be the one-off stuff from companies that don't have the structure recruiting programs. However, those positions tend to be the most interesting (at least from the job posting descriptions).

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks for the info Nink!
nink wrote:
vanilla wrote:

Thanks!

There are employers (usually multi-nationals) in US that are hiring international students for summer internships. There aren't as many (and if you need sponsorship post MBA, that's even more difficult) opportunities available compared to ops available to domestic students, but yes, there are companies actively recruiting and hiring international students. It's usually easier if you have related work exp before entering bschool during recruiting, compared to career switchers

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
vanilla wrote:

Thanks!

CPG for internationals is tough. Generally they don't sponsor internationals for summer or full-time. They really want you to be super familiar with their products and that may not be true if you aren't a US citizen. I'm not sure about manufacturing. High tech, financial services, and consulting all seem willing to sponsor internationals no problem. It is more challenging for international students, but there are opportunities out there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
 Q49  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing
Send PM
Congraats to all the guys who have secured an internship..

Looks like this year is a lot rosier than last year.

Have you heard of anyone secure an international internship in countries like India and China..?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I assume you're talking about the "BEST positions" I mentioned?

Yes, they were posted on Tuck's job board.

RF

Mustachio411 wrote:
Refurn,

Were these posted on job boards?

Quote:

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Quote:
CPG for internationals is tough. Generally they don't sponsor internationals for summer or full-time. They really want you to be super familiar with their products and that may not be true if you aren't a US citizen. I'm not sure about manufacturing. High tech, financial services, and consulting all seem willing to sponsor internationals no problem. It is more challenging for international students, but there are opportunities out there.

When you say international, do you include Canadians as well? You say CPGs don't prefer hiring internationals as these students might not understand the US culture etc. So are Canadians included in the list for internationals or are we given an exemption since our culture is quite similar to yours.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:
Quote:

When you say international, do you include Canadians as well? You say CPGs don't prefer hiring internationals as these students might not understand the US culture etc. So are Canadians included in the list for internationals or are we given an exemption since our culture is quite similar to yours.

You may be the first Canadian I've ever heard admit that you're just like Americans...

I think CPGs would recognize the closer cultural viewpoint of you compared to someone from, say, Asia, but there's still the visa/work authorization issue. A lot of companies don't want to go through the hassle of that, especially for an internship, when it would be so much easier to just hire someone with existing work authorization.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Jerz wrote:

You may be the first Canadian I've ever heard admit that you're just like Americans...

I think CPGs would recognize the closer cultural viewpoint of you compared to someone from, say, Asia, but there's still the visa/work authorization issue. A lot of companies don't want to go through the hassle of that, especially for an internship, when it would be so much easier to just hire someone with existing work authorization.

Lol I think the differences between the two countries seem overblown. Sure we may have differences over some issues but on whole I don't think the two are that different. If I go from Quebec to Alabama sure it might be a problem but if I go from Ontario or BC to Northeast or Westcoast I don't think it is that big of a deal. Heck if I am from Alberta I will feel right at home in Texas! And the Wal-Marts and Costcos and the Wendys and Taco Bells and everything you have there probably we also have it here.

For Canadians working in the US (and vice-versa) all we need is an offer letter from the company and then the TN visa is given at the border. No waiting no quota nothing like that. It's quite simple. I wish the companies realize that :( .
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2