Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Switch to Operations?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Switch to Operations? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2004, 11:56
I have a 3.9 in Accounting from USC, 760 GMAT, and am a manager for one of the "big four" in audit. I feel confident about my chances for admission at a top-five school, but I'm not sure whether this is an appropriate move for me or not.

I'm interested in operations management (statistical management, bpm, etc). I have have a number of manufacturing clients, and am much more interested in the physical processes rather than crunching numbers. I'm concerned that this field is mostly the domain of MBAs with an engineering background rather than an accounting background. It also seems like MBA is really just a tool to enhance your current background, and not necessarily to change to something else.

Does anyone have any insight (or anecdotal examples) regarding someone like me who is looking to make a change in my professional focus. Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2004, 06:51
Interesting. 60-80% of applicants to b-school. in any given year are looking to make a career transition of some sort. Given your interest in operations and experiences with manufacturing clients, this seems to be obtainable for you. This compounded by your interest in the more statistical side of operations, which would connect nicely with your accounting background.

I would recommend that you look closely at schools who are well known for their focus on operations / statistical managment. MIT immediately comes to mind. I believe that you wouldn't have too much difficulty making that transition.

http://www.mbagameplan.com