Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
How do you choose between the guy who's in finance and has a 730 GMAT and the guy who's in IT and has a 730 GMAT? Or the girl who's self employed with a 700 GMAT or the girl who has a 4.0 GPA and 690 GMAT? It really is totally subjective.

Lemme explain why u will be a GSB admit..

1 U have the requisite GMAT Score...( u might argue Quant is a concern, i guess u would have mitigated that with ur work-ex examples )

2 One of the few to attend the Fall preview, which is a +ve from adcom point of view..

3 Recos ...Never heard , that one applicant has got two recommenders from Alma matter ..so u aced the Reco part as well..u selected some one who can actually relate u to chicago's specifics...no need to analyze this further

4 Essays -- u already have a Ivy League admit , so the less said the beter ..

5 Italian+American+ BBC videos..go on and on..about ur extracurriculars

Chicago is a 500+ program , unlike staford GSB which means more available seats...

folks, u can add more...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, then allow me to counter!

Quote:
1U have the requisite GMAT Score...( u might argue Quant is a concern, i guess u would have mitigated that with ur work-ex examples )

True, I meet the GMAT rec, but I also have a weak undergraduate GPA of 3.0, mitigated only by a strong (3.7+) performance my last two years. Also note that a ton of people on admissions411.com have scores well above the range so I really don't think a 730 GMAT places me in an "extraordinary" category. For Cornell, it did. For GSB, I think it's probably only a bit above average.

Quote:
2One of the few to attend the Fall preview, which is a +ve from adcom point of view..

300 people attended, and anyway I'm local to Chicago, so it's not like this demonstrates a dramatic interest. This is likely only a neutral point on my app. That said, I can use it in my interview, so its a small plus. But only a small one.

Quote:
3 Recos ...Never heard , that one applicant has got two recommenders from Alma matter ..so u aced the Reco part as well...unlike hundreds of other who need to either reply on his/her boss, draft their own..u selected some one who can actually relate u to chicago's specifics...no need to analyze this further

Ok, on this one I wont argue.

Quote:
4 Essays -- u already have a Ivy League admit , so the less said the beter ..

Remember that essays are very subjective. What worked at Cornell may not work here, and there is likely some truth that my GMAT may have carried me at Cornell.

Quote:
5Italian+American+ BBC videos..go on and on..about ur extracurriculars

My extracurriculars are interesting, but I lack signficant "altruistic" ones. I don't save dolphins in my spare time. I don't run a puppy pound on Saturdays.

Quote:
Chicago is a 500+ program , unlike staford GSB which means more
available seats...

500+ or not doesn't much matter. What matters is how many applicants are vying for the 500.

And I'd add: My work experience is a bit wierd, I've had 2 years of IT consulting, 2 years of mortgage experience, 1 year mgmt consulting and now am back in the mortgage industry. None of these were for Bain or McKinsey or Accenture or Bear sterns. I'm not sure how my background will play.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
well ..whatever ..

I wish u get an admit to M7 and help us de-mystify the admission process of the top schools
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, how long was the on-campus interview for the person with whom you spoke? Even if the interviewer grills you, I would hope you're still only in the interview for about 30 minutes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
How do you choose between the guy who's in finance and has a 730 GMAT and the guy who's in IT and has a 730 GMAT? Or the girl who's self employed with a 700 GMAT or the girl who has a 4.0 GPA and 690 GMAT? It really is totally subjective.

Simple, Sherlock. You choose the one who wants it worse and has a plan. You have to be driven to succeed. Intelligence, integrity, and ingenuity are also important.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
patents555 wrote:
Rhyme, how long was the on-campus interview for the person with whom you spoke? Even if the interviewer grills you, I would hope you're still only in the interview for about 30 minutes.

Correct. At worst, its a half hour of pants-pooping.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
i'm sure you'll do great! in bocca al lupo!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, that is precisely why I signed up for an on-campus interview as opposed to an alumni interview. I didn't want to deal with a potential 60+ minutes of grilling by an alumnus.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Re: T minus 48 hours to GSB interview! [#permalink]
That's the kind of interview that I had with UCLA

rhyme wrote:
So excited, nervous, anxious, happy, elated, concerned, prepared, unprepared, content...

I had the benefit of meeting someone who did an on campus interview. He said they basically grilled him - he would start to answer something and then they'd cut him off 1 minute into it and force him down another path. I really hope thats not the kind of interviewer I get. We shall see.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
Rhyme, that is precisely why I signed up for an on-campus interview as opposed to an alumni interview. I didn't want to deal with a potential 60+ minutes of grilling by an alumnus.

Are you talking about the GSB? Did you do your interview yet? Can you tell me how it was, what they asked, etc? I hope you see this today, my interview is in the morning!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No. I have mine tomorrow afternoon.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
In Chicago ? Wanna grab a beer afterwards ? PM me if interested
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Didn't go so hot. My thoughts were a bit rambled, the interviewer kept sighing (well, twice - I think he was testing my reaction), and it ended on a bit of a wierd note where we sort of just abruptly ended.

Whatever. I did my best.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm sure you did fine. You said that the interview ended abruptly. How so? Did he not give you time to ask questions (the standard interview wind-down procedure)? Also why was he sighing (this seems so weird)? Was it because you gave an unsatisfactory answer?

I have an on-campus interview on December 1st, so I am naturally curious about your experience.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lich wrote:
I'm sure you did fine. You said that the interview ended abruptly. How so? Did he not give you time to ask questions (the standard interview wind-down procedure)? Also why was he sighing (this seems so weird)? Was it because you gave an unsatisfactory answer?

I have an on-campus interview on December 1st, so I am naturally curious about your experience.

Sighs I think were a test. I was given the opportunity to ask questions yes, but I turned it around and asked him if he had any others for me first, and it took him aback. Just a wierd way to close the interview process. I kinda botched the end there. I tried to convey that I knew the GSB very well already and had had multiple opportunities to ask questions, I asked him one question, he answered, and the interview ended.

I feel OK about it, but not great.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Didn't go so hot. My thoughts were a bit rambled, the interviewer kept sighing (well, twice - I think he was testing my reaction), and it ended on a bit of a wierd note where we sort of just abruptly ended.

Whatever. I did my best.

well...the sighing sure was strange...i thought alumni will not employ these mind games...i mean not like they are full time into interviewing...

anyways, i am sure you would have still done better than the other mortals :wink:

go grab a drink!
:lol:
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]