Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: Tackling CR - Identifying question types - Material [#permalink]
Mazerath , could you visit this thread and see if you can answer my doubts

difficulty-in-solving-cr-questions-125758.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
The fact is there is no short cut to solving CR and RC questions. Both work on your comprehension skills.
But there are a lot of areas you can improve on in a short time.

Obviously the first step is to understand where you are facing the most difficulty. Start making error logs and track them. Creating an error log is just the beginning. You need to document why you missed a question.

It can be

1. Difficulty to comprehend some words - Start taking a note of these words. Understand their meaning. Go back to the questions a few days later and see if it helps.
2. Inability to identify the gist of it - If you can understand each sentence independently.. but not as a whole.. you need to start reading general magazines and articles .. and improve your comprehension skills
3. Finding the answer to be obvious after seeing the explanation - Mostly because you skim or point 4.
4. Bringing in outside information or making your own assumptions - This is the most annoying and most diff.. writing the key points and assumptions down will help. But you obviously need to work out some short hand way to do it.
5. Problem in understanding what the question stem needs - The presentation will help
6. Taking a long time in solving it ( Timing is the only issue) - Practise..

Just curious , are you doing better with GMATPREP and OG questions and not with other question banks. If that is so , I would not fret too much about it. Just good practice is sufficient.

Some of the CR questions from other vendors are ridiculous and ambiguous. Chances of seeing such a question in GMAT is relatively low.

And on a side note.. All these diagramming can only help if you start forcefully applying the method for every problem you see. It might need a lot of practice. If you don't have the time..suggest reducing the time spent on diagramming and notes

Cheers
Mazerath
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Oops , sorry mazerath, i proivided you a similar looking link.Damn

but these points are sure extra bonus
I do keep an error log. I dont go outside LSAT and GMAT, only knewton cr question although they are reworded sentences from OG but they sure help.
I totally agree with your point on diagramming.I heard MGMAT has removed the diagramming technique from the 5th edition.

The link is actually the link was difficulty-in-understanding-the-type-of-cr-question-135014.html
The reason i am not posting my question here in this is that the thread is already started and it may help others if you put in your views over there.

regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Tackling CR - Key Points [#permalink]
Good one :)

Can you exemplify each error type (with proper CR questions) also it will be immensely helpful if you can provide examples for the "question types"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Can anyone reading powerscore bible clarify sufficient vs necessary condition? I found the concept difficult.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts