Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 03:50
I plan to start reading CFA from now bit by bit.
B-School's term should start around August, so 8th, 9th, 10,th, 11th I have to cover both CFA and MBA classes.
I'm curious whether this is a normal practice for MBA students?
Or do they normally wait for June 2012 when they've already passed their first year.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 06:49
Congratulations on deciding to take the CFA exams! I think the charter has been very beneficial in my career, adding both knowledge about financial markets and credibility on my knowledge.

I haven't been to business school yet so I can't really speak to your question entirely, yet I had some experience similar to what you're considering here. I took Level I during the December session while in the middle of searching for a new job. I started studying in January (because I have no formal economics or accounting education) and was able to pass Level I even while changing jobs.

I think you can easily pass Level I if you do a significant amount of studying before school starts in August.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCI R1- admit w/ $$$, Cornell R3, McCombs R2- admitted, Kelley R3 - admitted, USC R1-waitlist
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 10:18
Hey
I'm starting my FT MBA this fall and thinking about passing the CFA Level 1 as well. Why wouldn't you just take the June exam? I'm thinking that's better in terms of both being able to focus on MBA and having it on your resume before recruiting for internship starts.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Booth

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 06:33
Further, what would you consider the drop-dead date for beginning to study the material for the June date if you expect to put in the required time and effort to pass?

If you find this post useful, please give me a kudos. Thanks!

[JB's Guide to Dressing for Interviews]

[Did you use a Admissions Consultant? Provide some feedback here!]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU
WE 1: 2yrs Financial Modeling
WE 2: 3yrs Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 64

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 07:20
That's really dependent on how good you are at studying, retaining the material, and taking tests. For Level 1 I started studying in January for the December exam because I had no finance background. I definitely overstudied, but because I did I was able to study much less for level 2 and level 3. For level 3 I started studying about 2 months before the exam and passed (but with much lower scores).

At a minimum I would start studying 3 months before the exam. Take two months to study the material really hard, finishing 2-3 sections a week. Then spend the third month taking many practice exams and reading the material for questions you answered incorrectly.

At best I would start studying 20+ weeks out, reading 1-2 sections a week and spending last 3 weeks taking practice exams.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 07:28
Re: Drop-dead date to start studying -

This really depends on your initial understanding of the material. I've been in "the business" (sales/trading) for about 8 years, and I have an economics degree. So I picked up the CFA level 1 material in mid September and took the December exam (passed).

However, this did not work out for me during level 2. For Level 1, I used the Schwesser notes, which was just fine in getting me through the multiple-choice format of the L1 test. For L2, it is totally insufficient. You definitely need to fully understand the concepts in L2, because the fact is that the format is a scenario-type analysis, and if you get hit with a concept you're not at least 75% familiar with, you're going to take a major hit.

Case in point: I'm highly comfortable with my portfolio management, derivatives, equities, fixed income, F/X, etc (essentially capital markets). knowledge. Corporate finance? Abysmal. On test day, I was hit with a large number of problem sets from the latter areas, and it showed on my test score (fail).

I'm taking the L2 test again this June, with the knowledge this time of what to look at. I will definitely be ready for any pension accounting and foreign income translation questions (so should you...).

Anyways, good luck to you - you definitely need to put the time in to study, but you'll come out of the whole thing with much more confidence regarding your degree of understanding of the world of finance.
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 15:41
What will be a good place to search for study groups for preparing CFA Level 2 ?
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 16:06
ramsundarg wrote:
What will be a good place to search for study groups for preparing CFA Level 2 ?

LinkedIn is actually a great place to start.
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2011, 20:43
Thanks for the thread, I am also planning to give the exam in Dec 2011
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 07:36

Last edited by skeechiro on 08 Mar 2012, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 07:43
torofish wrote:
I plan to start reading CFA from now bit by bit.
B-School's term should start around August, so 8th, 9th, 10,th, 11th I have to cover both CFA and MBA classes.
I'm curious whether this is a normal practice for MBA students?
Or do they normally wait for June 2012 when they've already passed their first year.

Thanks.

An acquaintance of mine who is in B-School knew a classmate who was also studying for CFA. It's definitely doable -- the guy passed L2. But he didn't get to do many extracurriculars or be part of the social milieu. It seems like getting an MBA is also about developing a network of people as much as it is doing well in your classes. So I would think at least for the first year you want to develop some camaradarie etc so you can get some extracurriculars etc in. Maybe start in year 2?

= = = = = = = = = =

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 07:45
skeechiro wrote:
http://www.analystforum.com is a very good site. I put in about 6 weeks (100 - 140 hrs/exam) with a finance background. It really depends on the person. Good luck.

AnalystForum is indeed the go-to site for the CFA.

Careful, however - I put in the 130 hours for Level 1 (with extensive finance background) and passed.

Tried the same thing for Level 2, and failed miserably. Level 2 is the weed-out test...take it very seriously.
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 12:47
I am also interested in this topic.

At one business school I visited, they mentioned that the 1st year classes matched up perfectly with the Lvl 1 CFA material. That if you took the time to learn the knowledge throughly during class, then you should not have to study much outside of school. Is this typical of most programs?
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 13:10
Dear Seniors,
What the total cost of CFA, if someone goes in for early registration for all 3 exam & pass all in 1 attempt?
Please help me to know about the total cost of CFA given that I register early for all 3 exams and clear them in a single attempt?
I plan to do like Level 1 in dec 11, level 2 in June 12, and Level 3 in June 13.
I am currently doing coaching for CFA and teaching for GRE/GMAT.
http://onlineclasses.nanotechbiz.org/

Thanking and Sincerely,
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 13:29
shivgan3 wrote:
Dear Seniors,
What the total cost of CFA, if someone goes in for early registration for all 3 exam & pass all in 1 attempt?
Please help me to know about the total cost of CFA given that I register early for all 3 exams and clear them in a single attempt?
I plan to do like Level 1 in dec 11, level 2 in June 12, and Level 3 in June 13.
I am currently doing coaching for CFA and teaching for GRE/GMAT.

Thanking and Sincerely,

Pardon my inquisitive nature, but how can you coach people for the CFA and not know any of that information already?
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 13:40
cgeorgan1 wrote:
shivgan3 wrote:
Dear Seniors,
I am currently doing coaching for GRE and teaching for GRE/GMAT.

Thanking and Sincerely,

Pardon my inquisitive nature, but how can you coach people for the CFA and not know any of that information already?

OOPS, That was a typo, I coach for GRE and GMAT(giving).
I am learning for CFA from another coaching in New Delhi(taking).
So that are two separate points, sorry for the confusion.
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 13:43
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 13:47
cgeorgan1 wrote:

It says 1,085 USD for Level one, what will be approximate cost for Level 2 of the exam in June 11, and Level 3 in June 12. Please guide me about rough estimates.
I need a rough idea about level 2 and 3 exam costs.
Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 14:34
shivgan3 wrote:
cgeorgan1 wrote:

It says 1,085 USD for Level one, what will be approximate cost for Level 2 of the exam in June 11, and Level 3 in June 12. Please guide me about rough estimates.

The CFA does test attention to detail:
Attachments

CFA.JPG
CFA.JPG [ 60.29 KiB | Viewed 3575 times ]

Intern
Intern

Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2011, 14:38
cgeorgan1 wrote:
shivgan3 wrote:
cgeorgan1 wrote:

The CFA does test attention to detail:

Hey, thank you.
Yes that very right.
Re: Taking CFA Lv 1 on Dec 2011 + MBA 1st year, is it a good ide   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2011, 14:38