Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Texas-Austin vs Maryland Smith (MS Info systems) [#permalink]
yltt wrote:
Thank you! I mainly concerned about the following points:

1. As you mentioned, if I graduate from UT MSTC, then I'm afraid that no company will hire me as I do not have work experience and tech skills (I take accounting major in undergrad)

2. Maryland MSIS is good and matches my background; but Smith ranks 45 vs McCombs 17, does that make a big difference? I heard that Smith accepted a lot of International students (100 or more in its finance major) in recent years. Will this decrease its reputation?

3. TX has a lot big tech companies, but DC has more gov-related organizations. Also, UT has the best reputation especially in TX area; however, there are many other univ such as Georgetown, GWU, JHU in DC area.

As I am an International student and I aim to find a job after graduation, which program should I choose?

Thank you again for your suggestion!!

prcstnatr wrote:
yltt wrote:
Hello and thanks in advance for the input,

I have been accepted to McCombs MSTC program and Maryland Smith MS Info systems (MSIS).

Maryland Smith ranking: 45
MSIS ranking: 4

UTexas McCombs ranking: 17
MSTC ranking: ?? somebody said it is No.3, but I'm not sure about it.

UTexas has a better reputation, but the MSTC program sounds like a MBA program. Maryland MSIS program provides more basic skills and tech skills.

I am an international student without work experience and tech background. Thus, is that better for me to go to Maryland in order to find a job after graduation? What is going to be the best option?

Thank you again for your input!

These are essentially different programs.

1. Smith's MSIS is a regular MIS course as you mentioned providing basic IT/Tech skills to land a job or progress in a corporate IT or IT consulting role.
McCombs's MSTC is more a technology transfer/commercialization program aimed to serve entrepreneurs and those interested in corporate jobs where technology commercialization is valued (All tech firms have such roles- Apple, MS, Google, Amazon..).

2. Smith's MSIS is full-time and can be completed in a year although you can stretch it to 2 years.
McCombs's MSTC is a part-time (weekends) program that runs for a year. So it is geared more towards people who are working. If you're not working then you'll have to figure out what you'll do on the weekdays for a year.

3. Rankings. As per US News business school rankings for Information Systems specialty:
McCombs: 3
Smith: 5

Hope this helps.

This is more a 'what can happen' type of question. I guess you are more concerned about getting a job than anything else and that's fair enough considering you'll spend a ton of money on the program you choose to attend. However, it is tough to answer that question. Nobody can say what might happen 1 or 2 years down the road.

I would suggest getting in touch with the career centers at both schools and getting historic (past 2-3 years) job statistics. That should give you a good idea of which companies recruit at the programs, what the average (/median) salaries are, what percentage of students get jobs, and in what functional spheres AND then decide which program is better suited for what you want to do.

Hope that helps !
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Texas-Austin vs Maryland Smith (MS Info systems) [#permalink]