Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Thats a Disaster!!Need guidance-360 (Q27 V7) [#permalink]
1) What is your GMAT score goal?

700 is my goal

2) Did you get your enhanced score reports? If not, could you do so and share the score breakdown from your GMAT?

I have cancelled my Real GMAT exam. But i hardly remember, its Q27V07.
In my mocks, i got almost the above score in the first 2 tests. in the next mocks, i got Q32V22, Q41V36, Q42V32

3) Can you provide us with the dates and score breakdowns from your Official GMAT prep practice exams? When you took the practice tests, did you take them under realistic conditions (e.g. in a quiet environment, no extended breaks)? Did you complete the entire CAT, including the IR and Essay sections?
I never took the entire CAT. only one mock(two days before the real exam and scored 640. I have seen many repeated questions in GMAT prep exams that may be the reason i have scored Q32V22, Q41V36, Q42V32 in GMAT prep exams. I used to drink water more often during the cat.

4) Describe your study routine. What resources did you use to study? How many hours a day did you study?
Manhattan Review(local institute) - i took coaching here(i found it useless) Books of this, watched many videos of Perfect scores for quant. Followed few videos in youtube for verbal. Comparatively i didnt concentrate much on verbal.

5) For your retake, how many hours a day can you commit to studying?

Now, i seriously want to take break from this. Because my approach for the preparation is wrong. So, even if I start my prep now, i will go in the same way. i want to change my approach. i would like to start my prep with a fresh mind (I dont want to use my previous knowledge).

6) What are the MBA programs to which you plan to apply? What deadlines are you targeting?

1. Indian School of Business
2. SDA-Bacconi
3. University of British Columbia
4. York - Schulich
5. Nanyang - Singapore
6. HEC - Montreal
and some other US universities.

I wanted to include few points about me,

- I received many awards like Best performer, Best innovater for almost every quarter
- I'm an active person in all social responsibility activities in office.
- Personally taking care of my fathers TRUST (an orphan organisation)

I'm sure of myself, that i can crack the essays and interviews. My only problem is GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Rich,

Thank you very much for taking time to evaluate and guiding me.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
No, I took the entire CAT only once
2) Did you take them at home?
Yes, I took them at home.

3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?

No, I took in different times everytime.

4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?

Yes. I used to drink water more often. I used to eat choclates during the exam. But didnt breaks more than 5min between the sections.

5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?
Yes, I almost taken GMAT Prep exams only. I used to see many repeated questions.

It would also help if you included a bit more information about your studies:
1) What materials have you used?
Manhattan Review(local institute) - i took coaching here(i found it useless) Books of this, watched many videos of Perfect scores for quant. Followed few videos in youtube for verbal. Comparatively i didnt concentrate much on verbal.
2) What is your goal score?

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi BGm,

The extra information that you've provided is quite useful, as it helps to define what went wrong on Test Day. In real basic terms, you took your CATs in such a way that you were NOT properly training to face the Official GMAT. Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's what happened here. By skipping sections, taking the CATs at home, retaking CATs that you had already taken etc., you weren't properly training for the FULL GMAT 'experience.'

Raising a 360 to a 700+ will be a considerable challenge. You'll have to make some big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections and that process will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. You'll also likely need to invest in some new practice materials and learn/practice some new Tactics.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
It sounds like one thing you really need is structure. Is there any chance you could take a course with a different company (maybe an online class, if you can't find one locally that you're happy with?) Barring that, I'd recommend sitting down and planning out exactly what you need to improve, and how you're going to do it. Start by taking a good online practice test that allows you to review your results in detail (the Manhattan Prep ones do this! :)) and then setting a few priorities to work on. Most likely, you'll find that you have to start with the basics on Verbal; the MPrep Foundations of Verbal book might be a good resource for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, I wanted to start my preparation from the basics. I will spare 5months. Im searching for new prep institutes. But im not sure that i can be able to grasp from the online classes. I can invest some.
GMAT Club Bot