Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619101 [5]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: The cumbersome spears that were the principal weapons used by certain [#permalink]
Can someone please explain why D is wrong?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: The cumbersome spears that were the principal weapons used by certain [#permalink]
Gokul20 wrote:
Can someone explain why D is wrong here ?
Is it because the anthropologists believe the armor and the weapons to be from the enemies and not a proof of usage by the tribes?
Also it is stated as intertribal conflicts. In that sense, the enemies should also be some other tribes, which supports that these tribes had developed new methods of warfare. Is my understanding correct here or am I missing something here ?

We need to support the argument that- these tribes had developed new methods of warfare designed to inflict many casualties.

But D doesn't support this. Even if it supports there is better support than B in E
Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The cumbersome spears that were the principal weapons used by certain [#permalink]
Kudos
Gokul20 DaniyalAlwani

Hello

Here is my approach:

The conclusion of the argument is: these tribes had developed new methods of warfare designed to inflict many casualties.
So we have to find an answer choice that supports this conclusion.

Now let's take a look at answer choices (D) and (E):

Quote:
(D) Some tombs of warriors dating to the late Bronze Age contain armor and weapons that anthropologists believe were trophies taken from enemies in battle.

This answer choice basically is saying that the warriors have taken some armor and weapons as trophies. They did not developed this weapons. Also we don't know what kind of weapons they are. They can be the same spears.

So, this answer choice is out of scope. (D) is out.

Quote:
(E) The marks on the bones of many of the late Bronze Age warriors whose tombs were excavated are consistent with the kind of wounds inflicted by arrowheads also found in many late Bronze Age settlements.

This answer choice is saying that the wounds are the same as the wounds found later.

Let's imagine the following scenario:

- in the year 2500 BC: They used spears and some other new methods(developed), and the wounds looked like X.
- in the year 1500 BC( a 1000 years later ): They used other weapons, but the wounds looked still like X.

Clearly, these "other weapons" from 1500 BC were "some other new methods" developed in the year 2500 BC(1000 years earlier).

Hence, this answer choice supports our conclusion.

IMO (E) is the answer.

Hope this is clear.
Cheers,
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts