Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 09:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:47) correct 33% (01:44) wrong based on 118 sessions
The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% mroe than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales.

A. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales
B. the Teeny Tiny Trucks did and nearly 3 times what the Basic Blocks' sales were
C. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line sold and nearly 3 times as much as Basic Blocks' sales.
D. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than Basic Blocks' sales
E. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line
Intern
Intern

Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 10:05
bupbebeo wrote:
The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year, 40% mroe than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales.

A. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line did and newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line's sales
B. the Teeny Tiny Trucks did and nearly 3 times what the Basic Blocks' sales were
C. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line sold and nearly 3 times as much as Basic Blocks' sales.
E. the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line

the correct answer is E, but I do not know why. could anyone help me?
Intern
Intern

Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 11:05
IMO C (Best possible choice)

OA Please !!

D & E are wrong : 3 times as much as is not same as 3 times more than , i.e., say x = 100. 3 times as much as x is 300 and 3 times more than x is incomplete - 3 times of what, let's assume if 3 times of x more than x then also it is 100 + 300 = 400. Meaning of sentence is changed.

B: Idiomatic usage : "as much as" is required, and "of" preposition is missing - 3 times of what

A: Tiny trucks line did ==> sold

Sold is more clear than did.

Ideally the parallel structure should be:

The Dancing Doll line sold :
slightly more than $3.5 million worth of toys last year
40% mroe than the Teeny Tiny Trucks line "sold"
newarly 3 times as much as the Basic Blocks line "sold"
Intern
Intern

Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 11:07
OA please !!

FYI :

IMO - In My Opinion
OA - Official Answer
Intern
Intern

Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 18:16
the Official answer is E. The book says that we are comparing sold.

Dancing Doll line sold.........the Teeny Tiny Trucks line (sold) and nearly 3 times more than the Basic Blocks line (sold).

sold following the Teeny Tiny Trucks line and the Basic Blocks line can be omitted.

therefore the correct answer is E.

But I do not think this is a right explanation. Because when we compare how Dancing Doll line sold with how Teeny Tiny Truck & Basic Block line sold, we must use sold or at least did.

Can anyone help me give the right answer for this problem.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 03:09
AS MUCH is incorrect,MORE is correct
MORE is correct
not PARALLEL.
PARALLEL and MORE used ..CORRECT
Intern
Intern

Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 06:38
So, after long explanation, what is your choice sasen???
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 01 May 2010, 12:54
i choose c but after the expalanation it cud be E

coz ven v dunt have a helping verb like here it is sold only... no helping verb ....
to make it compact v can write nouns only ... verb is understood...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: comparision and parallel [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 22:24
sasen wrote:
MORE is correct
not PARALLEL.
PARALLEL and MORE used ..CORRECT

I suppose "3 times as much as sth" is idiomatic as well? no?
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 362 [0], given: 241

Re: The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 05:10
bupbebeo wrote:

Option A, B, C & D make the same kind of error i.e. Comparing Sales with Line.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Re: The Dancing Doll line sold slightly more than $3.5 million   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2013, 05:10