Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Which of the following most ligically completes the [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 18:40
i think it is C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Which of the following most ligically completes the [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 01:45
Choice C states that computer users are not representative for overall TV viewer all over the country.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: Which of the following most ligically completes the [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:20
+1 C
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 20

Re: Computer-Based Activities [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
sap wrote:
I have a doubt here

Question says :- however, this finding does very little to show that "COMPUTER USE" tends to reduce television viewing time, since ____

In option "C" we know computer OWNERS do not watch TV too often, but nothing has been said about "COMPUTER USE" by them.

Option "E" specifies that "COMPUTER USE" leaves people with more leisurely time FOR WATCHING TV.

"E" is a serious contender

Initially I also thought E is the answer, but OA was different than what I thought :cry:
After spending lot of time, I understand why the only answer is C and E does not even come near.

My reasoning is...
We have 3 events:

E1. television watching time
E2. Growing popularity of computers (this is a real event)
E3. Declining in E1 , i.e., decline in television watching time (this is not a real event because, in the first statement it is mentioned that '....predicted to result in a corresponding decline....')

Conclusion is E2 causes E3.

Task: to prove that E2 does not cause E3.

Solution:
In this case, instead of trying to break the relation between E2 & E3, it would be better if we can successfully prove that E2 is not at all dependent E1.
Now, which option choice tells us the non-existent-relation between E1 & E2?? It is C. Hence the answer is C.

C says , some people have long been known to spend less time on television watching. It implies that even if they DON'T use computers they are not going to watch TV. Hence, these people are not going to affect TV watching time but just affect growth of computer usage.

This is really tricky question...at least for me! If it is for you as well, and this post helped u, give me kudos, please :wink:

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

Re: Which of the following most ligically completes the [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 16:15
this is an official gmat question, i remember.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.11

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q2 [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 18:21
AndersonBound wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

The growing popularity of computer-based activities was widely predicted to result in a corresponding decline in television viewing. Recent studies have found that, in the United States, people who own computers watch, on average, significantly less television than people who do not own computers. In itself, however, this finding does very little to show that computer use tends to reduce television viewing time, since_______.

(A) many people who watch little or no television do not own a computer.
(B) even though most computer owners in the United States watch significantly less television than the national average, some computer owners watch far more television than the national average.
(C) computer owners in the United States predominately belong to a demographic group that have long been known to spend less time watching television than the population as a whole does.
(D) many computer owners in the United States have enough leisure time that spending significant amounts of time on the computer still leaves ample time for watching television.
(E) many people use their computers primarily for tasks such as correspondence that can be done more rapidly on the computer, and doing so leaves more leisure time for watching television.

[/i]

I am totally convinced with C.
But, I cannot understand why E is not true.
According to the question we have to find an option that deny the reasoning that computer viewing tends to reduce tv viewing . So, if people work on comp just to save time for them to watch tv, this option strongly denies the reasoning and so E is the right option.

Please give your thoughts.
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 543

Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q2 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 00:49
Can someone explain why option B is incorrect? Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q2 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 01:05
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone explain why option B is incorrect? Thanks!

hi ,

argument:in the United States, people who own computers watch,on average, significantly less television than people who do not own computers
this finding does very little to show that computer use tends to reduce television viewing time, since_______.
actually the conclusion is: computer tends to reduce television viewing time.
AND we have to weaken this conclusion.

now OPTION B : Says lets say 100 people in US =>OUT OF THESE 90 Watch less and 10 watch significantly more.
on the basis of this what will you conclude : PEOPLE are watching less television LIKELY because of OWINING a computer.
so in short it strengthens and not weakens.

hope it helps.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q2 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 03:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The growing popularity of computer-based activities was - Q2   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2014, 03:14